Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,824
# 21
08-29-2012, 12:53 PM
I once witnessed another way to track donatra while cloaked. Either someone had dropped an aceton assimilator or was using power siphon, but the blue line of power being drained from the Scimitar was still coming out, so we could just follow Donatra's end of the line and see where she was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramming Speed at its finest.
[Combat (Self)] Your Ramming Speed III deals 158125 (201492) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to [Player's Scimitar].
We are the Borg. Irrelevancy is irrelevant. ~ Cry OP, and let slip the devs of nerf!
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my mission! :-)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 137
# 22
08-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Famous Donatra conundrum, stay away or get close. I have been in ka with 4 sci ship in my defiant. One guy was literaly yelling at me to stay away. Only problem was, I got agro from the get go on her and she wouldn't leave me alone. So what should I do stay at more than 5km at have her blow me away repeatedly or get close, do some real damage and not get blown away..... I choose the later.

As a side note, Fighters will find her on attack or intercept. Just follow the fighter, slow down when you get close and aim about .5k below them, you'll bump into her, she sometime stay cloak (or try to) but then no shield and full damage from weapons. When we do ka with my fleet we always get right up on her and she always go boom in record time.

Energy weapons loose efficiency at range, the close you get the higher the damage. Shooting from extreme range is a waste of power and not very dps oriented. Point blank is best and where I'm at most of the time doing max damage.

Cannons optimum range is 2 km and less beam 1 km and down. Easy way to check, start shooting at 10 km and get closer right up to effective range, you'll see your number almost double.
Jamal : Tactical space specialist. USS SledgeHammer, USS Bug Warrior
Pierre : Engineer USS Fearless II, USS Warpath, USS Tantalus
Kunmal: Tactical fed Klingon, ground specialist, USS Kanewaga
Ka -tet Tier 5 starbase and shipyard, Tier 3 Embassy, Tier 3 Dilitium mine, Tier 1 spire
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,273
# 23
08-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by innuwarrior View Post
Famous Donatra conundrum, stay away or get close. I have been in ka with 4 sci ship in my defiant. One guy was literaly yelling at me to stay away. Only problem was, I got agro from the get go on her and she wouldn't leave me alone. So what should I do stay at more than 5km at have her blow me away repeatedly or get close, do some real damage and not get blown away..... I choose the later.

As a side note, Fighters will find her on attack or intercept. Just follow the fighter, slow down when you get close and aim about .5k below them, you'll bump into her, she sometime stay cloak (or try to) but then no shield and full damage from weapons. When we do ka with my fleet we always get right up on her and she always go boom in record time.

Energy weapons loose efficiency at range, the close you get the higher the damage. Shooting from extreme range is a waste of power and not very dps oriented. Point blank is best and where I'm at most of the time doing max damage.

Cannons optimum range is 2 km and less beam 1 km and down. Easy way to check, start shooting at 10 km and get closer right up to effective range, you'll see your number almost double.
The issue with you thinking only of yourself and getting in point-blank range is that she'll cloak before you can do significant damage, and regen the damage you did to her shields. The ONLY thing this does is make the whole thing take 2-3x as long. Now, if the sci ships can somehow keep her from cloaking. . .then fine, get to point-blank range and have at 'er. Or, if you're in a high-DPS group that can nail her anyways, whether she regens in cloak or not. If you're pugging, just do everyone else a favor and stay back, because there's zero guarantee that the group will know what to do to 'take her down quickly' while fighting point-blank.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,294
# 24
08-30-2012, 09:08 PM
There is really one thing you have to do and its not about any elaborate planning... If you know you are going to be taking all the agro.. Just stay behind her (out of her cannon/torpedo arc).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 213
# 25
08-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by innuwarrior View Post
Cannons optimum range is 2 km and less beam 1 km and down.
lol what?
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 112
# 26
08-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkrik23 View Post
If everyone stays back 5km she will not cloak at all.
This is wrong. I have tested this many times and can confirm that Donatra will only cloak if the ship with the highest aggro is less than 5km from her.

It is very clear that Donatra is designed to be tanked by a ship with high Threat Control staying at the 5-10km range with the other ships pounding on the ship from the rear. I have done this multiple times in a cruiser tank build and she has never cloaked even with 4 tactical escorts blasting away with their full arsenal.

Last edited by intrinsical; 08-30-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,173
# 27
09-03-2012, 05:44 PM
the secondary detonation of a Hargh'Peng will give away her location if cloaked. also as stated earlier, fighters on attack/intercept will follow her while cloaked as well.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,391
# 28
09-04-2012, 05:31 PM
You could just use the tractor beam it does work for limited amount of time.
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 165
# 29
09-05-2012, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingmaster View Post
The issue with you thinking only of yourself and getting in point-blank range is that she'll cloak before you can do significant damage, and regen the damage you did to her shields. The ONLY thing this does is make the whole thing take 2-3x as long. Now, if the sci ships can somehow keep her from cloaking. . .then fine, get to point-blank range and have at 'er. Or, if you're in a high-DPS group that can nail her anyways, whether she regens in cloak or not. If you're pugging, just do everyone else a favor and stay back, because there's zero guarantee that the group will know what to do to 'take her down quickly' while fighting point-blank.
If you are not doing significant damage before she cloaks again then your DPS are too low. From what I have seen just get close, she may cloak a few times but once she decloaks burn all cooldowns and throw everything you have at her, then she won't last long.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 371
# 30
09-06-2012, 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsical View Post
This is wrong. I have tested this many times and can confirm that Donatra will only cloak if the ship with the highest aggro is less than 5km from her.

It is very clear that Donatra is designed to be tanked by a ship with high Threat Control staying at the 5-10km range with the other ships pounding on the ship from the rear. I have done this multiple times in a cruiser tank build and she has never cloaked even with 4 tactical escorts blasting away with their full arsenal.
QFT.

The problem is that if the "tank" loses aggro for a split second she'll cloak.
So on PUGS, unless you're prepared to do the tanking it'll usually end up as a cloakfest.

WHILST SHE IS CLOAKED there are still a few things you can do to keep tabs on where she is though - the easiest way is to equip an Automated Defense Turret, or use Tractor Beam Repulsors (TBR actually still pushes her around whilst she's cloaked: if you turn your AUX way down to lower the repel strength, you can keep her in the beam for ages).

If you're the one tanking, and you happen to drop within 5km of her accidentally and she cloaks, you can usually force her to decloak again more quickly by accelerating far away from her (15-20KM)

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:32 PM.