Career Officer
# 91
04-14-2013, 01:16 PM
If this worked, I could see it leading to massive database issues. Load times are already inordinately lengthy because of how Cryptic handles database checks (for gear, equipped on ships your not even flying for example).
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Empire Veteran
# 92
04-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by millimidget View Post
I've always found people don't like being lectured, which is how any advice comes across in a text-based format.
That's why I always ask "Can I offer a bit of advice?" first. If they freak out and beak me off, fine on to my list they go. But I have had mostly good experience with this.

I think that most people are willing to learn it's just there are just enough loud mouths out there who like to throw around insults and unwanted "advice" that people are just expecting it. I have met a few people who where really surprised I asked first.
"Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame."
Better dead than Fed!
Commander
# 93
04-14-2013, 02:16 PM
This again?

Why do the devs need to code in a feature because of AFKers?

DO NOT PUG!!!!!! It's a easy solution that does not require a response from the developers. That would be a waste of resources. Stop being lazy, make a private match with friends and fleetmates if you want 100% guarantees. This is a non-issue. I don't need the developers to devote time making a feature to regulate it for me. You don't either.
Empire Veteran
# 94
04-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricorosebud View Post
DO NOT PUG!!!!!! It's a easy solution that does not require a response from the developers. That would be a waste of resources. Stop being lazy, make a private match with friends and fleetmates if you want 100% guarantees. This is a non-issue. I don't need the developers to devote time making a feature to regulate it for me. You don't either.
Well see the problem is some people have these little things called Lives that get in the way. When they get a chance to play their friends and/or fleet mates may not even be available. So they have to relay on pugs.
"Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame."
Better dead than Fed!
Commander
# 95
04-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon653 View Post
Well see the problem is some people have these little things called Lives that get in the way. When they get a chance to play their friends and/or fleet mates may not even be available. So they have to relay on pugs.
I do so love a good snarky reply. Thanks ever so much for talking to me like a child. Allow me the honor of returning the favor.

You see, you forgot about these little things called chat channels. They are incredible! There are more than one dedicated to the sole purpose of letting those that desire to do STF's get together. Better than pugging, little effort required. Amazing I know! If you like I can hold your hand through the process of finding one. Or will you be fine on your own out there in the big scary?
Commander
# 96
04-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Quote:
I do so love a good snarky reply. Thanks ever so much for talking to me like a child. Allow me the honor of returning the favor.

You see, you forgot about these little things called chat channels. They are incredible! There are more than one dedicated to the sole purpose of letting those that desire to do STF's get together. Better than pugging, little effort required. Amazing I know! If you like I can hold your hand through the process of finding one. Or will you be fine on your own out there in the big scary?
You mean the various elite STF channels that can get you laughed at and maybe even kicked depending on who's on because you don't know all the ins and outs of how exactly that particular channel wants you to word your STF announcements?
Career Officer
# 97
04-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Great idea OP. In addition to AFKers, I would use this system to ignore every single jerk yelling and screaming at the rest of the team for not being as l33t as he is. That way he'll find it harder to group as well, hopefully encouraging said person's attitude to improve for the better.

I don't encounter AFKer's as often as other people seem to, which is odd. The again, it's probably because I don't play STF's as often as other people do.
@HyperLimited - Join Date: Oct 2009 - My Youtube Stuff - Unused Romulan Notifications

Commander
# 98
04-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by talien View Post
You mean the various elite STF channels that can get you laughed at and maybe even kicked depending on who's on because you don't know all the ins and outs of how exactly that particular channel wants you to word your STF announcements?
Nope. I definitely don't mean those. That sounds terrible. Sorry you had a bad experience. Ask around, there are a couple of GOOD ones out there that have no such shenanigans.

Point is, the resources to 100% avoid AFKers and leechers are out there, and are easy to find and take advantage of. This game doesn't need to have developers waste their time devising and implementing a system (that furthermore will be abused by trolls and/or elitists and will likely not work as you want it too) that totally filters out a minor inconvenience, when you yourself can do just that with far less effort.

I think that time and those resources be better used on content and bug fixes. Call me crazy.
Empire Veteran
# 99
04-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Quote:
...Point is, the resources to 100% avoid AFKers and leechers are out there, and are easy to find and take advantage of...
This ^^

I have NEVER, in 3 years of STO, been in a group for an STF with someone who is, or goes AFK.

Once in my time in STO, I did have to go AFK a few minutes after the game started ( banes of being a parent and all ) and alas did not make it back until the end of the match - but, BEFORE I went AFK, I explained in the texted chat that I had to go AFK and why (it took less than 5 seconds to type it all up).

The tools to avoid constant AFK'ers are already in game - people just need to learn how to use them
Which one will you be?

Captain
# 100
04-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Quote:
You see, you forgot about these little things called chat channels. They are incredible! There are more than one dedicated to the sole purpose of letting those that desire to do STF's get together.
Such as???

Quote:
Ask around, there are a couple of GOOD ones out there that have no such shenanigans.
I'm asking right here. What are the chat channels you refer to? Which are good, which are bad?

Stop hiding in your private playground and acting like because you don't have an issue, no one else can.

Last edited by millimidget; 04-14-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Closed Thread