Career Officer
# 11
08-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsat View Post
I really like the idea of scattering field increasing sci damage and decreasing opponents sci resistance...it's still group oriented and gives science captains an ability to do damage in PVE/PVP.

I also would like to promote the idea of SNB being a single target resistance debuff...maybe a 50% shield resist debuff that can strip 1-2 buffs rather than all buffs. Still useful, but adds a new flavor.

Sci fleet would be better if it reduced accuracy of enemies or increased accuracy of friends. That's different and not so heal focused...avoids stepping on engineers' toes...
i think if sci fleet increased your teams sci resistances itd be more flavorful then the current shield resist. the shield resist should be an engineer thing imo. i never understood how they figure that engineers fix ships but not shields, while the science guys fix shields....

like i pointed out, if photonic fleet got removed and replaced with an AOE that reduced enemy acc among other things thatd be science fluffy as well. "electronic counter measures" would actually do what it means.....
Lieutenant
# 12
08-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Sub Nuc is what it is, a curse/dispell. If anything it should have its cooldown shortened by 30 seconds to be more fearsome & valuable.

I like the tachyon beam suggestion. Reducing or halting shield regen would be fantastic.

To make Sci ships more viable, IMO: Up the subsystem targeting from 1 to 2 for Sci ships tier 4 & above. The increase in turn rate was a good start, but they need either more offense, or more defense (hull or shield mods) for more people to play them at all.

Wasn't Sci Team a buff for the entire team, once upon a time? It really should be...

Yes, photonic fleet is basically insta-spam, but it has saved my bacon more than once.

Many of the sci abilities lost effectivness when resists actually started working. This tells me that it probably not the abilities, but the resists that are working too well. In many cases resists probably need to be toned down rather than the abilities be increased. Except in Gravity Well, I've noticed a decrease in effectiveness on NPCs who don't normally have any buffs or resists (like Borg).

Also, too many abilities are cleared by Sci Team. Its kind of ridiculous. The devs couldn't spread the love to other abilities...?
I like my Sci guy & I like my Sci ship & that's that.
Career Officer
# 13
08-23-2012, 06:30 PM
The only problem with taking away photonic fleet is that it actually does add to damage...would need a really nice ability to compensate.
Career Officer
# 14
08-23-2012, 09:42 PM
The problem isn't science captains, it's science boff powers. Science captains are if anything still overpowered in PvP (try running a successful premade with less than two of them -- ideally three), despite being the worst profession bar none for PvE.

In terms of replacing subnuke with something that boosts science skills, it's a very risky idea. Not only do you fundamentally change the entire balance of the game, you royally screw over every single sci-scort pilot by taking away the ability that is the sole reason for them to be flying that ship/career combo into something they can't even use.

The one change I do agree with is changing photonic fleet. This game has enough spam, and changing PF to something that boosts science abilities would actually fill a nice gap. That being said, you would also need to include some other buff (for example, to healing) or it would be more or less useless outside of a science ship.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
The problem isn't science captains, it's science boff powers. Science captains are if anything still overpowered in PvP (try running a successful premade with less than two of them -- ideally three), despite being the worst profession bar none for PvE.

In terms of replacing subnuke with something that boosts science skills, it's a very risky idea. Not only do you fundamentally change the entire balance of the game, you royally screw over every single sci-scort pilot by taking away the ability that is the sole reason for them to be flying that ship/career combo into something they can't even use.

The one change I do agree with is changing photonic fleet. This game has enough spam, and changing PF to something that boosts science abilities would actually fill a nice gap. That being said, you would also need to include some other buff (for example, to healing) or it would be more or less useless outside of a science ship.
jorf speaks logic! ah! apocalypse nigh....!

i ranted elsewhere its sci BOFF powers that are lacking and not the cap powers. +1 agree
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
08-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Jorf is right on the money. I been saying this forever. But most know my dislike for blue.
-------------------------

Future Capt Gecko II Hitlers take on PvP
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-27-2012, 03:26 AM
Changing scattering field from a damage resistance buff to an AOE placate. Not like scramble sensors but something to where your enemy teams accuracy drops to near useless for so long and spread it out to like 9k instead of 3
Rihannsu
# 18
08-27-2012, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoejoe View Post
jorf speaks logic! ah! apocalypse nigh....!

i ranted elsewhere its sci BOFF powers that are lacking and not the cap powers. +1 agree
/tinfoilhat_1, is there any indication that cryptic would even consider looking at skill tree and BO powers??
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Captain
# 19
08-27-2012, 08:11 AM
I think if they do anything the best bet is to try to give them ideas for a doff based add.

They are not likely to go over the skill tree or make changes to captain powers I don't think.

They can release new doffs though, that are along the lines of the sensor doff... to increase the effect of captain powers.....

Here is one I like... and I think it would have been great for a "fleet" reward doff. (Instead of highly broken fleet packs).

Sort of like the exo comp doff.... in that it would give bonuses to different skills.... (numbers of course could be set as needed)

+ 200 to all Sci Skill tree points to Self for duration of Sci Fleet.
+ 200 shield regen to self for duration of Tac Fleet. (added shield regen for tacs... not healing but regen as in a shield power regen bonus)
+x Weapon power drain resist to self on use of Engi Fleet. (a second mini nadion to give engies a bit more punch)

I think ideas like this could allow Cryptic to balance things with out unbalancing things (as doffs have opportunity cost)... as well as not spending any of there time, that we know there higher ups are unlikely to give them to fix it the long way.
Super Moderator
# 20
08-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by renarcene View Post
To make Sci ships more viable, IMO: Up the subsystem targeting from 1 to 2 for Sci ships tier 4 & above. The increase in turn rate was a good start, but they need either more offense, or more defense (hull or shield mods) for more people to play them at all.
I like the idea, but that's really more for Science ships than Science captains.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek