Lieutenant
# 11 Orions for Fed, More for KDF
08-30-2012, 01:07 AM
I kind of agree that KDF has limited racial choices. Sticking with canon and written material one should be able to play:

Vulcan: in several books Vulcans are prized in the empire for their strength and intelligence inspite of their pacifism. Vulcan may have lived in empire prior to or moved there during the accords.

Romulan: If the Klingons are going to ally with a non-warlike criminal syndicate (the Orions), then Romulan expatriates/exiles from Sela's reign are a potential option.

Cardassians: True Way mercenaries against the Federatio and their pacification of the Cardassian State.

Andorians: The Klingons have always respected the Andorians, their culture and heritage. During the Khitomer Accords it is likely some Andorians relocated to the empire to test their mettle against the feared Klingon warriors in various pursuits. They may have stayed afterwards.

Hirogen: Upon accepting Sela's treaty, some Hirogen might become annoyed by the scheming and manipulative Romulans, finding stories of the honor-bound warrior society of the Klingon empire more appealing. I find Hirogen culture (like the Gorns and Nausicans) to be more acceptable to the Klingons then the scheming Orions (who aided the Dominion during the war).

Others include Ferengi, Pakleds, Still-pissed Maquis Bajorans and all the ignored subject races of the Empire (see various books, FASA and Decipher's ST:RPG and ADB's Prime Directive: Klingons for more details on these) and former Neutral Zone denizens.

And finally: Humanoform Klingon. That's right, Enterprise/TOS Klingons. Change the racial trait to something cool (the Human's Leadership ability maybe?) and have the player be born a genetic throwback to the gene-altering plague that once haunted the empire...

All good candidates for addition to the KDF, IMHO.
Career Officer
# 12
08-31-2012, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallydumbpwe View Post
Oh no you don't!
You Feddies couldn't handle Orions.
You want those Orion lovelies, join KDF

Completely agree!

I play a Fed as my main and even I feel for the lack of content, shiny new items, lack of uniforms and just all around neglect of the KDF faction.

lols want a Fed Orion make an alien paint it green... live without the grotesque Bikinis
I vote "Ne" to this proposal! lol

RachelJ
Rihannsu
# 13
08-31-2012, 07:09 AM
I actually made a Fed "alien" char up as an Orion/Kriosian hybrid. Speaking of Kriosians, they would make an excellent choice as a playable KDF race.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 14 For Ask Cryptic!!!
09-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Dear Ask Cryptic,

I personally have been making pleas for playable Orion characters as both a main character and for BO for the Federation. I have seen many request from others as well and many of us are willing to pay thru the C-Store if that is necessary. I read the forums regularly and have heard the arguments by those in the Klingon faction against it because they feel it would be talking a species/race away from them. However i feel if many players are asking for for it and willing to pay for it why wouldn't you give it to us. I would think that with all of the things that players do complain about and feel that they shouldn't have to pay for why not make an exception give it to us in this case. In my view the pros out weight the cons look below and see for yourself.

Cons

1. Makes Klingon faction players feel like they are loosing a playable faction.

Pros

1. People are asking and willing to pay for them. (its no different then the playable Klingon for character for the feds)
2. We already have them as DOFFs (by the way Nausicans shouldn't really be available as Fed Doffs)
3. Stays with in Star Trek cannon because the federation had Galia as a starfleet cadet. Not all Orions are alligned with the syndicate or Klingons. Therefore i can't see CBS objecting or die hard trekkies fighting it.
4. You already have them in the as far as technical/programming goes so it shouldn't be difficult to transfer or make available.

So the way i see it is better and profitable for Cryptic to let us have something that is already in the game and would make alot of people happy. Hell you can even leave it as something we can create as an alien character as long as you can add seduction as a selectable playable trait that we can add in addition to the species custome wear.

I hope that you will seriously take this into consideration and add before season 7. It would make alot of us happy and earn Cryptic some $.

Other than that STO is a blast and i at least appreciate the huge strides you guys have made since the begining. Its the reason i became a life timer so keep it up.

Thanks
Ensign
# 15
09-03-2012, 07:42 PM
I would argue for Orions not to be made available to Feds but since neither Cryptic or the Federation playerbase care for the KDF there's really little point.

When will you Feds wake up and realise that to Cryptic you are nothing more than cash cows they want to milk, all they do is add fluff to the game because they know you'll keep buying it, if anything start making requests for better content to be added to the game instead of silly things like adding Orions.
Lieutenant
# 16
09-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Mirrored from the other thread you started called "For Ask Cryptic":

1. From http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gaila_(Orion)

"Gaila was an Orion female and a cadet in Starfleet Academy in the alternate reality." Note the ALTERNATE reality - not canon, not in THIS universe.

2. The Klingon side is a mite irritated that anything unique to its faction inevitably ends up on the Fed side. The opposite rarely if ever happens. Thus at this point any chance of a reasonable response will be at odds with the basic tenant of us that see, at this point, ANYTHING Klingon has to be fought to the knife to keep unique, so the concept of two fully developed factions doesn't die.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-04-2012, 12:38 AM
I am curious as to what could have happened so much between the Narada's attack and Kirk as a young man that got Orions into the Federation?
Career Officer
# 18
09-04-2012, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonxx View Post
I am curious as to what could have happened so much between the Narada's attack and Kirk as a young man that got Orions into the Federation?
I worry more about the fact that the Narada incident managed to displace a whole planet.

In other words, they've used "it's a different universe" as an excuse to redo a whole lot of stuff.
Rihannsu
# 19
09-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonxx View Post
Actually... In the TV shows, the Orions as a group are NOT an enemy of the Federation, nor are they an ally of the Klingons. They're independant and harrass both sides almost equally. Like the Ferengi, they tend towards economic expansion over military. The "Path to 2409" stuff has a rather elaborate backstory on how the Orions came to be allied with the KDF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjorlwulf View Post
Mirrored from the other thread you started called "For Ask Cryptic":

1. From http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gaila_(Orion)

"Gaila was an Orion female and a cadet in Starfleet Academy in the alternate reality." Note the ALTERNATE reality - not canon, not in THIS universe.

2. The Klingon side is a mite irritated that anything unique to its faction inevitably ends up on the Fed side. The opposite rarely if ever happens. Thus at this point any chance of a reasonable response will be at odds with the basic tenant of us that see, at this point, ANYTHING Klingon has to be fought to the knife to keep unique, so the concept of two fully developed factions doesn't die.
I can think of one very important exception here, Joined Trill. There is no in-game explanation of how they can exist as members of the KDF. I do think that the KDF should have Kriosians as a playable race, actually... I might make a Trill KDF char just so I can pretend to play as a Kriosian.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lieutenant
# 20
09-04-2012, 07:26 AM
If you wanna play Orion then just play KDF.

I can even help you on that if u got any VOIP program or Skype.

I can help you with lvling up and i can help you with skill/ship building and equipping it.
Closed Thread