Lieutenant
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 81
# 31
09-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Alot of KDF players don't get the point. Saying all Orions are KDF is like saying all Mexicans are lazy or all blacks steal cars.

Just as not every Italian is Cosa Nostra, not every Orion is Syndicate. But lets play along with the KDF fantasy that Orions are one big mob family. They already run the Great houses of the Empire through the "Gift" of 1500 ORION women to said houses. Doesn't it makes sense for a criminal syndicate to invest as much in the other side of the equation (Fedaration)? The Syndicate isn't going to turn their green noses up at an opportunity like the Federation. Having high ranking officers in Starfleet would be a boon.

"Ma'am, we need to continue our anti-smuggler patrol."

"Yes... yes, we do. But I think it wouldn't hurt if we gave Astrometrics another 15-20 minutes to examine this rogue comet. They say it might have deuterium core. We are explorers, after all."

**Orion smugglers pass unmolested due to their sister's delay of her ship patrol**

The Orions, like the Ferengi are more concerned with profit. It's why they sold out the Klingons to the Dominion in DS9.

I do agree the KDF is lacking. I wrote a request for more races (Andorian ex-pat, Romulan in exile, Bajoran pissed-at-the-Feds Maquis, Cardassian mercenary, etc...) better racial costumes and unique KDF purchasable player races or bridge officers (Hirogen hunter, Jen'Hadar renegade and Breen freelancer) to liven the side up. The Klingons definitely need updated and more varied clothing options.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 298
# 32
09-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by venarra View Post
Alot of KDF players don't get the point. Saying all Orions are KDF is like saying all Mexicans are lazy or all blacks steal cars.

Just as not every Italian is Cosa Nostra, not every Orion is Syndicate. But lets play along with the KDF fantasy that Orions are one big mob family. They already run the Great houses of the Empire through the "Gift" of 1500 ORION women to said houses. Doesn't it makes sense for a criminal syndicate to invest as much in the other side of the equation (Fedaration)? The Syndicate isn't going to turn their green noses up at an opportunity like the Federation. Having high ranking officers in Starfleet would be a boon.

"Ma'am, we need to continue our anti-smuggler patrol."

"Yes... yes, we do. But I think it wouldn't hurt if we gave Astrometrics another 15-20 minutes to examine this rogue comet. They say it might have deuterium core. We are explorers, after all."

**Orion smugglers pass unmolested due to their sister's delay of her ship patrol**

The Orions, like the Ferengi are more concerned with profit. It's why they sold out the Klingons to the Dominion in DS9.

I do agree the KDF is lacking. I wrote a request for more races (Andorian ex-pat, Romulan in exile, Bajoran pissed-at-the-Feds Maquis, Cardassian mercenary, etc...) better racial costumes and unique KDF purchasable player races or bridge officers (Hirogen hunter, Jen'Hadar renegade and Breen freelancer) to liven the side up. The Klingons definitely need updated and more varied clothing options.
Lol now if you disagree with his silver spoon demanding hog it all opinion, you are racist? ROFLMAO wow....
that made lolo

P.S. Besides the Plasominic Leech console, Orion Slave Girl Bikinis are like the only thing left that hasnt been stolen from the Klingon side to make fed players happy. Why ruin and hurt the KDf side even more? Oh yeah, thats right, because you dont play it.



Yeah, that's right.

Last edited by adon333; 09-08-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Community Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,144
# 33
09-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemorgan View Post
I want to try this a different way this time.

First I am attacking no one.

Why should Fed faction have playable Orions?

Does it add to the flavor as someone would say, or does it detract?

I personally would be for such a thing, but they are already part of the Klingon faction. There is the option to be a Alien if a person just wants the look. I just do not see a reason.
Yes, you could have a green-skinned alien and call them Orions. But they won't have the Seductive trait, or the Seduce ability, or have access to the Orion female costume parts. I think that last is what most people who want Orions in the Fed faction really care about.

Frankly, putting "bikini-clad babes" in Starfleet would detract from the flavor, in my mind. They might fit in at Drozana, Risa, or DS9, but nowhere else. That's just my opinion, of course.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,619
# 34
09-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Yes, you could have a green-skinned alien and call them Orions. But they won't have the Seductive trait, or the Seduce ability, or have access to the Orion female costume parts. I think that last is what most people who want Orions in the Fed faction really care about.

Frankly, putting "bikini-clad babes" in Starfleet would detract from the flavor, in my mind. They might fit in at Drozana, Risa, or DS9, but nowhere else. That's just my opinion, of course.
^This^.

Seriously. If you want skimpy outfits for your digital barbie, buy a Mirror universe costume pack. An Orion in Starfleet, would be required by Starfleet Regulations to wear a Star Fleet UNIFORM.

Can you diggit? Even in JJVerse, the hawt orion chickie Kirk was doing in Uhura's room wore a Starfleet uniform, as in all over coverage and no steel bikini or loincloth, when the two of them weren't fooling around.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 95
# 35
12-14-2012, 05:56 AM
Of all the things to be exclusive, races are probably one of the worst choices. With free will and individuality, there will always be differing opinions and attitudes (search My Species Doth Protest Too Much on TVTropes).

Personally, I think races should be available to all factions by default. Except for some that have to come from the C-Store due to rarity, like Klingons for the Federation and Vulcans for the Klingons.

My view applies to both Playable and Bridge Officer races.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 36
12-14-2012, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Honestly, it'd be pretty easy to justify Ferengi availability as a KDF race. As a whole, the race has a rather mercenary attitude.
Except its hard to believe a Klingon crew would put up with them. They'd end up gutted before a week was out.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 312
# 37
12-14-2012, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantris View Post
Except its hard to believe a Klingon crew would put up with them. They'd end up gutted before a week was out.
But not all Klingons are barbaric spaceorcs ;-)


You can build an orion character with the "alien" archetype. Thats even better than C-store because it's free ;-) And Federation doesn't need some metalbikini xD

Last edited by luxchristian; 12-14-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,757
# 38
12-14-2012, 06:33 AM
Why would they?

excerpt from Path to 2409:2387

Quote:
......Also occupying Martok's time this year is a possible treaty with the Orions. Realizing that their homeworld in the Rigel system is beset with pollution and is almost completely depleted of natural resources and that Starfleet crackdowns on criminal activity are becoming a serious problem for Syndicate operations, a delegation of Orions led by Melani D'ian opens talks with both the Klingons and the Breen for possible assistance. Melani dangles the promise of Orion support and stockpiles of ancient knowledge and treasures, but refuses to commit to either side until they detail what they could offer the Orions in return......
Sounds like the Orion goverment doesn't trust the federation.

Any Orion in Star Fleet would be a rogue element. Do as others and make one with the Alien generator.
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Ensign
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 18
# 39
12-14-2012, 06:34 AM
Not personally a fan of the Orions - but seeing as how much KDF players prefer Orions, I have the feeling if Federation was to get them as a playable race, either a free or Zen, it would thin out the players on the KDF to an even greater extent.

If something should be done, it's to boost KDF player population, not thin it even more.

Just my opinion, of course.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,360
# 40
12-14-2012, 06:40 AM
I say don't restrict it to "Orions." Make it a "Privateer" faction, with access to (nearly) all species of officers. And instead of a single empire's ships, they can have access to the product of all those funky minor races you see in "explore" and "defend starbase" missions.

Sounds to me like a sneaky way to make use of models you've already built. New content without a huge development overhead.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:59 PM.