Captain
# 11
08-23-2012, 07:16 PM
My understanding is that Discussion is more about actual game "mechanic" issues not covered in other threads - such as Ships discussion going into Shipyards. General is more just about general conversations about STO not really specific to game issues. That's just my take, anyway.
Captain
# 12
08-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
This. High School football season starts tomorrow in many (most? all?) states; tomorrow night's game population will be very different than last Friday night's. My son starts his first marching season; I won't be anywhere near STP all night, while I think I probably played 5 hours last Friday evening.
Yeah. My kids started school last Thursday. We already have Soccer and Football practices going on. The state colleges in Illinois started classes last Monday. My wife is teaching a class at Northwestern Law, and they start classes on the 4th.
Lieutenant
# 13
08-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
My understanding is that Discussion is more about actual game "mechanic" issues not covered in other threads - such as Ships discussion going into Shipyards. General is more just about general conversations about STO not really specific to game issues. That's just my take, anyway.
I understand what your saying, but looking at both boards I see the same types of topics being discussed. Hopefully if we can get a clear answer on the record it will clear up the confusion.
Captain
# 14
08-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stof4nb0y View Post
I understand what your saying, but looking at both boards I see the same types of topics being discussed. Hopefully if we can get a clear answer on the record it will clear up the confusion.
Personally, I think Discussion and General should be merged. I could easily dispose of 3-4 of the sections on the forum and they'd never be missed. Heck, FtP Q&A seems pointless now considering the game has been FTP 8 months. Any questions anyone has now are just basic game questions.
Career Officer
# 15
08-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Could someone please clarify, for the record, the difference between the "Star Trek Online Discussion" board and the "General Community Feedback" board(beside the fact that the latter is seen by far less people)? Looking at the topics on each they seem interchangeable. Maybe syberghost could?
Let me preface this by reminding folks, I am not a PWE employee; I'm an STO player who doesn't get paid to do this, so I don't speak for PWE, I'm just giving my opinion.

Feedback forums are intended for us to give the developers feedback. Discussion forums are for us to discuss things with each other.

Feedback forums may be seen by less people, but they're seen by more devs. If you're wanting PWE to know how you feel about a change, the Feedback forum for that component is the best place. If there's not one, the General Feedback forum is the best place.

If you just want to discuss the game with other players, a Discussion forum is the best place. It seems to me, and perhaps you'll agree, that responses in the Discussion forum are more often from the community team, and responses in the Feedback forums are more often from the developers.

When I move a thread, I do so because I honestly believe it will be seen by the appropriate people in its new location. If PWE asked me to cover something up (which they have not done), I would refuse.

I paid for a lifetime sub to this game, and it's my primary MMO by far; I want problems fixed too. I still spend money in it; I bought $10 worth of Zen earlier this evening. I want to get value for my money too.

Don't forget there's a link in my signature you can use to tell Cryptic if you feel like I've done the wrong thing. I won't take it personally.
Lieutenant
# 16
08-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Feedback forums may be seen by less people, but they're seen by more devs.
I'm confused; there seem to be less dev replies here than on STO discussion

Also, I've noticed that it seems to be a "1 way street". Threads from STO discussion get moved here, but not vice versa. I'm so confused
Career Officer
# 17
08-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Quote:
I'm confused; there seem to be less dev replies here than on STO discussion

Also, I've noticed that it seems to be a "1 way street". Threads from STO discussion get moved here, but not vice versa. I'm so confused
That's the other thing; the majority of the devs don't respond. Far more read these things, or have feedback shared with them, than actually reply. If it's one thread in the right forum, it's MUCH easier for them to follow it.

As for why things don't get moved back the other way; I suspect that people are more likely to post in Feedback if they are intending to give feedback, then they are by accident; whereas the "near the top of the forum" location of STO Discussion makes it more a target for misdirected feedback. So by nature, there's fewer misdirected posts in here. Does that make sense?

Plus, people contented with the status quo tend to post less than people who are seeking change. So most posts are going to be feedback of some form.
Commander
# 18
08-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Hi,

My opinion from my eight months experience as a voluntary community moderator is that "General Community Feedback" under the "Feedback" section is for feedback that can not be specifically categorised into any other section (that which is not covered by a more appropriate subforum), the key word here being feedback.

The "Star Trek Online Discussion" section under the "Information and Discussion" section is for players to ask questions and discuss general aspects of the game, as well as ideas, concepts, etc...

Going by the thread title and original post I've decided (noting the advice of thecosmic1) that levi3's thread is providing feedback.

On topic; while I was in game a few hours ago I felt the game was a little busier than usual, but accurately guessing player numbers in an instanced MMO is a very difficult task. The feeling you can get at times can be way wrong.

Here on the forums post numbers as well as replies seem pretty normal.
Lieutenant
# 19
08-23-2012, 08:02 PM
If I'm reading you right, are you saying that all of these threads should actually be here or in other feedback boards since they are feedback on existing system?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=358241

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=364491

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=364131

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=361871

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=276161

Just trying to make sure I understand what your saying.
Captain
# 20
08-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Quote:
If I'm reading you right, are you saying that all of these threads should actually be here or in other feedback boards since they are feedback on existing system?

Just trying to make sure I understand what your saying.
You would have to pick on me first of course!!!!