Lieutenant
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 48
I have been playing this game on and off since release, since before it went F2P and have come back since, spending in the C-Store for nice items. I have dipped my toe into PvP and...well, lets say that the experience is completely underwhelming. There is no aim other than to grind out badges for top tier ship items that, to be honest, are not all that inspiring in the first place.

And this is where the game fails and falls flat. The endgame content in STO is...terrible to non-existent. What the endgame...what the whole game needs is something persistent. Something that gives the Klinks and Feds something to fight over. We need some form of RvR Territorial Warfare on some special PvP maps, where both sides fight for control of a persistent sector one system at a time...gaining bonuses for their nation/faction if they capture the sector.

Im not going to go into detail over the specifics of how it could be implemented, I just think that this is something that is sorely needed. And the beauty of doing something like this is that, once its been programmed and set up, its self sustaining. No more content really needs to be added on a regular basis as the players will be having too much fun fighting each other for control of territory for bonuses that are faction wide.

So yeah, this is just my 2 cents on the whole PvP and endgame content for STO. I dont know why this wasnt in from the very first place. It seems something that logically should be in there from the beginning given that the Feds and Klinks are at war again.

Edit: I am curious as to what others think of end game material and if this is a good or a bad idea. Also, what do you think could be implemented in game that will give a lasting and self sustaining end game?

Last edited by demonstormuk; 08-23-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 366
# 2
08-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Endgame? What endgame?

Ah. Endgrind. Yeah, there is endgrind. And no, there will be no endgame anytime soon. There may be more endboxes, endstores or some endgrind added, but no endgame.

Cryptic is not interested. Even though good endgame (which means PvP or/and the player-made content) will make them more money, they milk enough out of us from lockboxes and c-store. And as they will need to invest more money into good endgame content/pvp maps there is no way in the hell they will do this. Not before PWE got back the money it invested into Cryptic.

So get used to what you have. The good thing is in few months SW:TOR will be FTP
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,101
# 3
08-24-2012, 07:09 AM
I don't agree.

Firstly there is no End Game in a continually evolving MMO, End Game implies that once finished it's ended and there's nothing else to do. This is still a young game and the depths you can go to are extraordinary already. If you find PvP underwhelming why would you want to see it as your end game action? Furthermore with only 18% of the player base running KDF toons the outcome of your persistent territory control is inevitable surely.

Starbase PvP will be with us in the next year or earlier, new factions to look forward to, new sectors, new gear, new STFs, new Featured Episodes etc, the list goes on. Look around at all there is to do and you'll see that STO is a rich and varied experience with a fantastic community and a legendary IP. It just needs time and more investment which is surely coming with the amount that Cryptic are earning from the Starbases.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,325
# 4
08-24-2012, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonstormuk View Post
And this is where the game fails and falls flat. The endgame content in STO is...terrible to non-existent. What the endgame...what the whole game needs is something persistent. Something that gives the Klinks and Feds something to fight over. We need some form of RvR Territorial Warfare on some special PvP maps, where both sides fight for control of a persistent sector one system at a time...gaining bonuses for their nation/faction if they capture the sector.
I think this was what Eta Eridani was originally for, it's the "Neutral Zone" where all the PVP maps are stashed away, I'm sure Cryptic had lots of pretty cool plans for it. Sadly Atari got worried and pushed for release. But yeah, PVP is the weak link in what was already a precarious chain of STO endgame content.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 993
# 5
08-24-2012, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonstormuk View Post
I have been playing this game on and off since release, since before it went F2P and have come back since, spending in the C-Store for nice items. I have dipped my toe into PvP and...well, lets say that the experience is completely underwhelming. There is no aim other than to grind out badges for top tier ship items that, to be honest, are not all that inspiring in the first place.

And this is where the game fails and falls flat. The endgame content in STO is...terrible to non-existent. What the endgame...what the whole game needs is something persistent. Something that gives the Klinks and Feds something to fight over. We need some form of RvR Territorial Warfare on some special PvP maps, where both sides fight for control of a persistent sector one system at a time...gaining bonuses for their nation/faction if they capture the sector.

Im not going to go into detail over the specifics of how it could be implemented, I just think that this is something that is sorely needed. And the beauty of doing something like this is that, once its been programmed and set up, its self sustaining. No more content really needs to be added on a regular basis as the players will be having too much fun fighting each other for control of territory for bonuses that are faction wide.

So yeah, this is just my 2 cents on the whole PvP and endgame content for STO. I dont know why this wasnt in from the very first place. It seems something that logically should be in there from the beginning given that the Feds and Klinks are at war again.

Edit: I am curious as to what others think of end game material and if this is a good or a bad idea. Also, what do you think could be implemented in game that will give a lasting and self sustaining end game?
+1 to this.

There are games enterily pvp and they are great , why not add a map what could allow fleet vs fleet or fleets vs fleets to fight for something? a conquer the station or starbase or planet, anything really.

This could give so much life to pvp and a meaning to pvp in general
Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 94
# 6
08-24-2012, 08:40 AM
+1 to this.

Sadly, this is not the first and surely not the last about this problems.

We have almost no PvP population partly due to the lack of PvP content or simply "love" put on it.

Cryptic killed scientist without remorse and now from PvP perspective we have only 2 classes instead of 3.

Powers completely unbalanced and more and more P2W content gives PvP (and ultimately STO) a grim future, why?

Because an MMO without PvP is simple absurd.
Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com
Community Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,657
# 7
08-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenovita View Post
Cryptic killed scientist without remorse and now from PvP perspective we have only 2 classes instead of 3.

Powers completely unbalanced and more and more P2W content gives PvP (and ultimately STO) a grim future, why?

Because an MMO without PvP is simple absurd.
There is still hope:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...21&postcount=6

Cryptic really needs to hire somebody away from one of the companies that does PvP well, give him a nice office so he feels loved and a couple of minions, and start giving PvP folks some love.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,600
# 8
08-26-2012, 08:49 AM
see, if we hadn't heard this tune ad nausea in the last two years with zip to show for it, I might be fooled to see this as a sign of hope as well. blessed are the ignorant or something like that
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 797
# 9
08-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
There is still hope:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...21&postcount=6

Cryptic really needs to hire somebody away from one of the companies that does PvP well, give him a nice office so he feels loved and a couple of minions, and start giving PvP folks some love.
yeah except this is basically what we've been told since the beginning. And to be honest, not much has changed. sure they've patched a few things. but the amount of broken things thats have been released then fixed then accidently re-released makes one sick.

then toss in all the p2w crap that they give absolutly no balance thoughts too and probably never will because its p2w.... and oh yeah, guess we're not spec'd right....



Quote:
Originally Posted by havam View Post
see, if we hadn't heard this tune ad nausea in the last two years with zip to show for it, I might be fooled to see this as a sign of hope as well. blessed are the ignorant or something like that
a missionary was teaching some eskamo's about heaven and hell and sin.
the eskamo's leader asked the preacher if they did not know about sin, would they have gone to hell. the preacher says of course not, because you wouldnt have known better. the eskamo leader takes a moment to think then says. "why did you teach us then?"

^best ignorance is bliss joke/story i've ever heard.


i shall rise from the ashes of the science, like a pheonix in the days of old!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 420
# 10
08-26-2012, 09:38 AM
I agree with op's subject line and decided not read any further,because it says it all.....
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:01 PM.