Commander
This may be reaching a bit far, but I had a thought for future group missions...perhaps even for the current Starbase Incursion...something we've seen in the shows and movies on many occasions: simultaneous, linked space/ground action.

Example 1: Starbase Incursion

This would have two groups of 5 players each, with half of them in space, and the other half onboard the starbase. Put an overwhelming number of incoming ships that try to send boarding parties to the starbase, with the primary objectve of the space defenders being the thinning-out of the incoming forces. Nobody will get them all, which is where the station-side defenders come in; whenever a boarding shuttle makes it to the base, the defenders have to engage the invaders before they are able to cause too much internal damage to the base.

Example 2: Planetary Assault

Same player composition as above (or 20 players, or what have you), with specific objectives to be neutralized in a set time. Some of these objectives will be hardened targets, which require the ground players to plant/defend/use targetting beacons to call down orbital strikes before continuing to the next objective. Meanwhile, the space force must keep reinforcements from getting within beam-down range of the planet, and every shuttle/group that gets close enough to the planet = a bigger party downstairs. Periodically, when the ground force activates a targetting beacon, the space forces will have a certain window of time to maneuver close to the planet, activate some form of interaction, and not be interrupted while supplying the orbital strike.

Anyway...just a thought; not sure if this has already been suggested/shot down, etc. I just happened to be talking to a coworker about how the engine is, on a basic level, the same for space and ground, and I was thinking it would be awesome to see them linked somehow.
Lieutenant
# 2
08-24-2012, 02:42 AM
This is similar to what Dust is going to be.
Players on eve are in space defending a planet and laying down planitary bombardments whilst console players are fighting in the trenches.

The problem will be that space and ground are different instances, im not sure if they can get the game engine to talk between these instances.
Plus what happens to the ground ppl if all the space guys quit..and the other way round.
I think its a cool idea but i doubt cryptic could implement this.

Another option would be to have a space match, when at the end it checks how many ships got through, then you get loaded into a grounds instance where you have to defend from that amount of enemy.
That should be far easier to implement
Commander
# 3
08-24-2012, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by richandrews View Post
This is similar to what Dust is going to be.
Players on eve are in space defending a planet and laying down planitary bombardments whilst console players are fighting in the trenches.

The problem will be that space and ground are different instances, im not sure if they can get the game engine to talk between these instances.
Plus what happens to the ground ppl if all the space guys quit..and the other way round.
I think its a cool idea but i doubt cryptic could implement this.

Another option would be to have a space match, when at the end it checks how many ships got through, then you get loaded into a grounds instance where you have to defend from that amount of enemy.
That should be far easier to implement
It doesn't matter if people quit; they already do that in STF's and Fleet Alerts. As for easy-to-implement, I don't see why it would be any harder to have two instances pass information between one another, since they already do that when you transfer from instance to instance mid-mission...but that's just me.