Empire Veteran
Since the current incarnation of the dilithium exchange has been practically killed with the introduction of those massive dilithium sink starbase projects, how about adding fleet marks to the formula? I wouldn't mind selling some of my fleet marks for dilithium (or Zen for that matter). A third variable would make the market more dynamic and interesting and since many people seem to lack enough fleet marks (at least the people posting in this forum), hopefully it would add something positive to the game.

EDIT: When I think of it - why not allow any currency to be exchanged for any other currency on the exchange on a truly free market?

Last edited by therealfluffy; 08-24-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Lieutenant
# 2
08-24-2012, 03:50 AM
I totally agree, I recently left a fleet for reasons I won't discuss. Nevertheless, I have 100k fleet credits and some fleet marks that I have no need for, exchanging it to something else would be very useful for those who are not in fleets.
Captain
# 3
08-24-2012, 05:35 AM
Current rates on the exchange have made zen worthless. If the price of zen continues to fall, the c-store items will also need to be downwardly adjusted. Cryptic cannot run the c-store on a worthless currency.

Minimum exchange rate per zen should now be adjusted to somewhere between 1,000 to 2,000 dilithium.

Anything less than 1,000 dilithium will be similar to stealing.

Zen is backed by real money. If real money cannot maintain its value, up against an artificial currency, there will be no reason for anyone to buy zen. Prices in the c-store will also look extremely over valued.

Last edited by linyive; 08-24-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 4
08-24-2012, 05:42 AM
I'm ok with the idea of a fleetmark exchange, but for credits please, I don't need dilithium.
Captain
# 5
08-24-2012, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
I'm ok with the idea of a fleetmark exchange, but for credits please, I don't need dilithium.
Tier four and tier five will require less fleet marks and more dilithium. All those fleet store items will also require extensive dilithium. If Cryptic doesn't adjust the exchange values, players will not be able to afford fleet store items. Or, the price of fleet store items will need to be drastically reduced.

Adding another currency to the exchange will only cripple the system.

Last edited by linyive; 08-24-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Career Officer
# 6
08-24-2012, 06:01 AM
Then there is the other side of the coin:
Those not building bases are more than happy selling their dilithium for Zen at the current rates (and lower). This is how a "free" market works.

Quote:
Minimum exchange rate per zen should now be adjusted to somewhere between 1,000 to 2,000 dilithium. Anything less than 1,000 dilithium will be similar to stealing.
Zen is backed by real money. If real money cannot maintain its value, up against an artificial currency, there will be no reason for anyone to buy zen.
I'd guess that plenty of people are buying zen and converting it to dilithium to build their bases. 1000 dilithium per zen? Really? Before S6 it wasn't even 1/3 of that amount - so then by your statement we've all been stealing the entire year. Real money isn't even backed to maintain its value - that's why the cost of living increases usually more than your increase in pay.

Quote:
EDIT: When I think of it - why not allow any currency to be exchanged for any other currency on the exchange on a truly free market?
Now we're talking!!!
There are Four Lights... say no to ARC
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fleet: 1st Order of Role-Players' Guild - gaming together since 2004
Career Officer
# 7
08-24-2012, 06:02 AM
Up until now players have routinely sold Zen for Dilithium in order to progress their starbases faster. There will reach a point where people will literally not be able to afford the real cash cost of this and will stop buying Dilithium, the market will adjust accordingly. It is in Cryptic's interest to let Dilithium gain in value, they are not losing anything as the market is self regulating.

Whilst Dilithium is still being dumped into starbases it is not being used to buy Zen, the prices of items in the Z store will remain the same but real money will have to be used to buy them, so Cryptic wins both ways. I would think that as the value of Z v D has halved since Season 6 this is about as low as it will get now. I for one will not be converting much more of my real cash for a very expensive ingame currency, it's back to grinding on all toons to raise the necessary Dilithium. This will also slow the starbase progression and keep us in game longer. I cannot see any reason Cryptic would make any change to the exchange values as is.

Adding different currencies to the market would be of great interest to me and many others I'm sure, however I do not have confidence that Cryptic could successfully integrate this system without some very major errors for the first few weeks at least.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Captain
# 8
08-24-2012, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjexcimer500 View Post
Then there is the other side of the coin:
Those not building bases are more than happy selling their dilithium for Zen at the current rates (and lower). This is how a "free" market works.

I'd guess that plenty of people are buying zen and converting it to dilithium to build their bases. 1000 dilithium per zen? Really? Before S6 it wasn't even 1/3 of that amount - so then by your statement we've all been stealing the entire year. Real money isn't even backed to maintain its value - that's why the cost of living increases usually more than your increase in pay.
Star Trek: Online" is a video game. Unless there are mechanisms in place to protect the value of real money, people will have no substantial reason to use it to buy zen. If the value of the dollar has fallen, the price of c-store items should skyrocket to compensate.

Cryptic should adjust the c-store prices upward, or they should adjust the exchange value per zen upward.

One or the other has to happen.

Last edited by linyive; 08-24-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 9
08-24-2012, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
Star Trek: Online" is a video game. Unless there are mechanisms in place to protect the value of real money, people will have no substantial reason to use it to buy zen. If the value of the dollar is so low, the price of c-store items should skyrocket to compensate the loss.
Well it seems that you're the only person in game having this concern. Most of us are enjoying the fact that our dilithium has more value now. And since the price of dil is increasing, it means that people are keep buying more ay after day, which means it's worth it for them. It's like a real stock exchange.

If you don't like to buy zen then don't, I'm not sure Crypric is going to ruin the balances of the game for your very own issues.
Captain
# 10
08-24-2012, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
Well it seems that you're the only person in game having this concern. Most of us are enjoying the fact that our dilithium has more value now. And since the price of dil is increasing, it means that people are keep buying more ay after day, which means it's worth it for them. It's like a real stock exchange.

If you don't like to buy zen then don't, I'm not sure Crypric is going to ruin the balances of the game for your very own issues.
I don't mind buying zen. I just want it to maintain its value. If the exchange doesn't get fixed, I may have to completely stop buying zen (or dilithium). Why spend real money on an in game currency that doesn't hold its value? Once the value of zen becomes worthless, outside of the c-store, I will see no more reason to invest. I have invested a substantial amount into zen. I don't want the currency to lose any value.

Last edited by linyive; 08-24-2012 at 06:44 AM.