Empire Veteran
# 11
08-24-2012, 05:35 AM
Wasn't this part of Cryptic's plan? To make more people buy Zen rather than grind dilithium for it. To me it's a rather smart business tactic, making Dilithium much more valuable than it has in the past. Means more people will fork out real money for Zen instead of using their dilithium to buy it from players who are selling their Stipend's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Captain
# 12
08-24-2012, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticmsfc View Post
Wasn't this part of Cryptic's plan? To make more people buy Zen rather than grind dilithium for it. To me it's a rather smart business tactic, making Dilithium much more valuable than it has in the past. Means more people will fork out real money for Zen instead of using their dilithium to buy it from players who are selling their Stipend's.
I think this system will have the opposite affect. Once more people realize what is happening, they will stop using zen to buy dilithium. Its just a mater of time. I have personally stopped buying dilithium. I went back to grinding dilithium, so I can save my zen for c-store purchases.

Last edited by linyive; 08-24-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Lieutenant
# 13
08-24-2012, 05:48 AM
If people do end up not buying dilithium with zen because of the price, dilithium sellers will start selling more dilithium for less zen just so they can make a sale at all. Prices fluctuate in a free market, that's how it works. WAD
Captain
# 14
08-24-2012, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman32569 View Post
If people do end up not buying dilithium with zen because of the price, dilithium sellers will start selling more dilithium for less zen just so they can make a sale at all. Prices fluctuate in a free market, that's how it works. WAD
Once you start thinking video games are base upon real life, you also start to lose all sense of reality. Video games are based upon fantasy.

Last edited by linyive; 08-24-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Lieutenant
# 15
08-24-2012, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
Once you start thinking video games are base upon real life, you also start to lose all concept of reality. Video games are based upon fantasy.
Yet the dilithium exchange is controlled entirely by real rules of supply and demand (with the exception of the imposed minimum and maximum prices), with the prices being set by the players (real people) that are buying/selling. Fancy that?
Captain
# 16
08-24-2012, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman32569 View Post
Yet the dilithium exchange is controlled entirely by real rules of supply and demand (with the exception of the imposed minimum and maximum prices), with the prices being set by the players (real people) that are buying/selling. Fancy that?
....but, its not reality. Period. Cryptic should do something to preserve the value of zen, for it is backed by real life currency. Dilithium, fleet marks, and energy credits cannot be bought with actual money. Only zen can be bought directly. C-store items are bought through the use of a currency that is backed by real money.

If you want to buy my zen, I want you to pay me its equivalent in dilithium

Why?

Dilithium cannot be used to buy c-store items.

Dilithium cannot be bought directly with real money.

Only zen can.

Last edited by linyive; 08-24-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Captain
# 17
08-24-2012, 06:15 AM
The value of Zen changes all the time. When the Exchange started it was around 120 Dilithium per CP. Then it jumped up to near 400. Now it's decreasing again. There's never been a fixed amount. If Cryptic were to set minimums then people would just scream price fixing.
Lieutenant
# 18
08-24-2012, 06:19 AM
Funny, I don't recall ever claiming that a video game was reality. The fact is, when there is a market to exchange goods and currencies (yes, even virtual ones), the values that people choose to trade at will be based on what the buyer and seller deem they are worth. I know that if I can't sell dilithium at a certain price, I'll adjust my price accordingly until it does sell. Its simple economics that are at play here, even if it is a video game. However, as long as people are buying dilithium at the current rates, I am more than happy to supply them.
Career Officer
# 19
08-24-2012, 07:00 AM
Quote:
....but, its not reality. Period. Cryptic should do something to preserve the value of zen, for it is backed by real life currency. Dilithium, fleet marks, and energy credits cannot be bought with actual money. Only zen can be bought directly. C-store items are bought through the use of a currency that is backed by real money.

If you want to buy my zen, I want you to pay me its equivalent in dilithium

Why?

Dilithium cannot be used to buy c-store items.

Dilithium cannot be bought directly with real money.

Only zen can.
I think with respect you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the principles of a free market currency exchange.

Take a look here

http://imadqureshi.blogspot.co.uk/20...nge-works.html

It also makes no difference whether it's physically real money, virtual money, or imaginary money, once actual currency assets are exchanged then the same principles of self regulation and supply/demand come into play.

Cryptic cannot change it, their hand's are tied, period. If they did I dare say they would lose all and any credibility instantly and possibly even be investigated for price fixing (no expert there but I'm sure it's not something they would want to be accused of). In any case as i said earlier it is working to their financial advantage so what is their incentive to do anything?

EDIT: You are also mistaken if you think EC cannot be bought with real currency. It is against this game's EULA but it happens all the time.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html

Last edited by mattjohnsonva; 08-24-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Captain
# 20
08-24-2012, 07:16 AM
Quote:
....but, its not reality. Period.
But it is reality. It's a currency market pure and simple. The fact that the currency is virtual doesn't change a single thing. Hell most people today in their every day life use much more virtual currency they they do physical cash. Just because it's currency in a video game doesn't change the fact that it's still a form of currency.

Market forces are at play here, just like they are in every other currency market in the world. It's also not like other currency's don't fluctuate in value. Do you honestly believe a Dollar is worth the same today as it was 5 years ago, or 50?

Also Zen unlike dollars has a somewhat controlled value. As long a the Z store is there, Zen will always have a outside control over value, because it will cost the same amount of zen to buy a Odyssey or respec, regardless of the ratio between Zen and Dilithium. Because it still costs $20 to buy a Odyssey.

So in a way the value of Zen isn't changing, just the ration between Z and D. There's nothing Cryptic or PWE can do to change that, short of changing the amount of Dilithium in the game.