Captain
# 21
08-24-2012, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
EDIT: You are also mistaken if you think EC cannot be bought with real currency. It is against this game's EULA but it happens all the time.
You can buy EC with real currency simply by buying Zen, using the Zen to buy Lockbox Keys, and then selling the Keys on the Exchange to get EC. There's nothing wrong with doing that at all.
Career Officer
# 22
08-24-2012, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
You can buy EC with real currency simply by buying Zen, using the Zen to buy Lockbox Keys, and then selling the Keys on the Exchange to get EC. There's nothing wrong with doing that at all.
Yup, but as you well know that's not what I was referring to

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Empire Veteran
# 23
08-24-2012, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
EDIT: You are also mistaken if you think EC cannot be bought with real currency. It is against this game's EULA but it happens all the time.
It's not. It's what tradeable c-store items are for. And it's a lot safer than the goldsellers you can find anywhere.
Career Officer
# 24
08-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
It's not. It's what tradeable c-store items are for.
Yes I know that, there are other ways to buy EC directly that are against the rules. That is what I am talking about and I'm not giving any more information than that in case this thread get's closed.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Leave the market alone, Zen will eventually go back up when new stuff (Z-Store or season 7) is released. We currently just have a huge new dilithium sink in the game, and the market is adjusting to it.
Ensign
# 26
08-24-2012, 12:23 PM
You keep insisting that Zen is backed by real money. This is false. A currency being "backed by" something means that it can be freely exchanged for that currency in both directions.. You can buy Zen for real money, but you cannot buy real money with Zen without violating the EULA. Zen has some characteristics of a currency in game, but it is not a real currency.

There is no way to transfer Zen between players, so the the market of what Zen can purchase is limited to only things that one seller is offering (some items are transferable, but the vast majority are not and the transferable ones cannot be converted back to Zen) which is why Zen is much more akin to arcade tickets than the Euro.

As has been pointed out, the beauty of a market is that it will self correct. Once dilithium is too expensive to buy, people will stop buying it and demand will decrease, resulting in a lower price. If you don't like the price, no one is forcing you to buy to or sell. You can hold your Zen until you are able to sell it at a price you think is fair.
Career Officer
# 27
08-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Well as an actual paying member of this game, I will not sell a single zen point for any less than 200 dilithium. Sorry, I'll spend my money on store items or whatever. I furthermore refuse to but additional zen to sink into the base project and I founded the fleet. Why? Because I'm not trying to impress some random leech who wants to free load off of my fleet. My fleet's base is for our entertainment only, it's not some recruiting tool. Besides we're getting on fine with our 8000 each ration and we'll soon have everything completed in Tier II. In any case we'll get it done when we get it done and it will not interrupt our gameplay. Those of you who are sinking tons or real world currency into this game so that someday dilithium can be worth more than real money, and so you can have the small glory of bragging to others are:

1) foolish and
2) being used by both cryptic and bums who want something in this game for nothing.

For example when some fool's first question when joining my fleet is "what's your base at?" that person can't join my fleet for a trillion ec. Everyone else should think of it likewise. If you're spending real world money to entice some random free loader to join your fleet is this the type of person you want? No I think not. I'm not going to be used by cryptic or f2p freeloaders.
Career Officer
# 28
08-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman32569 View Post
Yet the dilithium exchange is controlled entirely by real rules of supply and demand (with the exception of the imposed minimum and maximum prices), with the prices being set by the players (real people) that are buying/selling. Fancy that?
i have my doubts. I suspect that the system cryptic has in place is easily manipulated. This isn't a real currency exchange where actual US dollars are traded for Yen, Euros etc.
Captain
# 29
08-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrady View Post
I will not sell a single zen point for any less than 200 dilithium.

I furthermore refuse to but additional zen to sink into the base project and I founded the fleet.
Ok. If that's the way you feel, then do or don't do what ever you feel is right.

Those of you who are sinking tons or real world currency into this game so that someday dilithium can be worth more than real money, and so you can have the small glory of bragging to others are.[/quote]

I doubt anyone is speculating on the Zen market, figuring that some day they'll be able to cash in their Zen for Cash...

I also doubt that many are spending real money to upgrade their SB solely for the sake of bragging rights. Although if they are, it's their money and doing so is no more foolish then spending money many other things people do for the sake of prestige.
Captain
# 30
08-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrady View Post
This isn't a real currency exchange where actual US dollars are traded for Yen, Euros etc.
You honestly think that real currency exchange and speculation isn't manipulated?