Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,014
# 1 Starbase Burnout
08-24-2012, 04:54 AM
Went to log in this morning as usually for about an hour to fly around, shoot some baddies, and get some stuff and just couldn't get excited for it. I think its time for a STO break (again) and these are the things getting me down:

1) Fleet Doff brokage. This wouldn't be as unmotivational if I knew a fix was coming but the silence is, not good.

2) Removal of fleet marks from 'Investigate Officer Reports' due to event being over.

Don't feel like sifting threw doffs for an hour nor do I feel like doing another colony invasion. See you next Thursday most likely.

I think the big thing is that last week (during event) things were good. I was making progress without it feeling like a 'work grind' and now its over. Now its just a grind again with annoyance attached.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 223
# 2
08-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Yeah, funny how things could have gone from GREAT to BORING in a single patch...
Don't fall for the fake advertising: Guild Wars 2 is a WoW clone and a poor one too.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,054
# 3
08-24-2012, 07:56 AM
There were SB burnout threads before yesterday's patch, and there will be more next patch.

The thing about Starbases is that they're not a sprint, yet players are spending all their gaming time focusing solely on them. The Devs have said the fastest anyone can complete a Starbase is 7 months. Is anyone really going to spend 30 hours of gaming per week for 7 months just focusing entirely on Starbases?

The best way to deal with a Starbase is to just do it casually. When you feel like grinding some Fleet Marks, great! You have them and can contribute them to the base. When you do some Missions and earn some Diltihium, great! You have it if you want to contribute them to the base. The same for DOFFs, Commodities, etc.

Fleetbases were never designed to be "the only thing you do in the game." They were designed to be a little something extra to contribute toward while you're playing the game. Anyone who makes it their sole focus is going to be burned out long before we reach each the 2 month mark.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 512
# 4
08-24-2012, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
Went to log in this morning as usually for about an hour to fly around, shoot some baddies, and get some stuff and just couldn't get excited for it. I think its time for a STO break (again) and these are the things getting me down:

1) Fleet Doff brokage. This wouldn't be as unmotivational if I knew a fix was coming but the silence is, not good.

2) Removal of fleet marks from 'Investigate Officer Reports' due to event being over.

Don't feel like sifting threw doffs for an hour nor do I feel like doing another colony invasion. See you next Thursday most likely.

I think the big thing is that last week (during event) things were good. I was making progress without it feeling like a 'work grind' and now its over. Now its just a grind again with annoyance attached.
Yes cryptic saw that we were happy, and Cryptic always have a solution for happy players.
Bone1970 & Bone trader don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac's. BNE Fed Sci.
Bag of Bones & Bone Ugly don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Rom/Fed Tac. Bone & Bone2 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. KDF Eng's.
Warning: Not a native English-speaker, sorry if my English sucks.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 5
08-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
The thing about Starbases is that they're not a sprint
Very true. But when they break one of the preferred methods of advancing the projects all while simultaneously wrecking the exchange, sort of kills the motivation to do much of anything else along with it for me.

And when they are warned they are about to break stuff, fail to mention a major change in two seperate patch notes and despite being warned between the tribble and holodeck patches that they were about to screw up the exchange, they still manage to screw it up - people like me are left to wonder what major feature that I enjoy are they going to screw up next?

And thats not even mentioning how demoralizing it is to see this happen while the devs remain completely and totally silent about it.

Just an acknowledgement that they are aware of the problem or a flat denial of any problem would be nice.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,054
# 6
08-24-2012, 08:23 AM
I wasn't addressing the Fleet DOFF issue - that's a cluster ---- all by itself. I'm simply addressing the idea that there was SB burnout before this last patch and it will only get worse over the next few months if people make Starbases their sole focus for playing - as the amount of items needed will only increase with each Tier.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 7
08-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
I wasn't addressing the Fleet DOFF issue - that's a cluster ---- all by itself. I'm simply addressing the idea that there was SB burnout before this last patch and it will only get worse over the next few months if people make Starbases their sole focus for playing - as the amount of items needed will only increase with each Tier.
Unless they address the current cluster ---- I'm thinking you will see a lot of people give up on fleet projects for a while. Maybe thats the spin Cryptic can use -

"we were concerned about you burning out, so we intoroduced this great new DOFF-maybe-works-maybe-doesn't mechanic into the exchange to convince you to do something else for a while. Because we care about you.

Love,
Cryptic"

Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,054
# 8
08-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Well, as I said in the other thread, I consider it a big annoyance but I don't consider it a game-breaker - especially as I am a casual Fleetbase builder. I think most of us were upgrading/downgrading DOFFs anyway. Of course I'd rather they just give us less DOFFs for our Fleet Credits, or put a timer on the system so that we can only get so many Fleet DOFFS per day, than force us to do the up/down; but who knows what next week's patch will bring.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 132
# 9
08-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Well lets face it, the main reasons people are focusing on the Bases are obvious... and completely created by PWE.

First, the "better" fleet ships are not unlocked until you get to the higher tiers. You can say "well you'll get them when you get there", but STO lets you level up to highest rank in a matter of days (even HOURS for some). Peope are trained in the STO universe to "get it quick"!!

Second, for a great many of players, the BASES represent the only real new content they have seen in ages, and even if that is not true, certainly the only new content presently available.

Third, this game feeds accolade hunters like nothing I have ever seen before (ok, more accuratly JUST LIKE so meny other games I have seen before, which to me is sad). Opening functions of the Base is to those kind of people something they "JUST HAVE TO DO". They can't and won't stop until it's done.

This paragraph should be where I some to come kind of logical conclusion however I find it difficult to do so these days. The deveolpments sleading up to and including season 6 show a clear lack of direction, not to mention professionalism. I guess that IS a conclusion in and of itself.

I'd really like to think that things can and will change.

I'd Like to....

Last edited by wilsoncutter001; 08-24-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 10
08-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncutter001 View Post

I'd really like to think that things can and will change.

I'd Like to....
But things can change for the worse just as likely as things can change for the better.

And besides, whats there to change when everything is working as intended?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:45 PM.