Community Moderator
I have a proposal for fixing the problem of people forgetting to change the rating from the default 3 stars when they enjoyed the mission.

Instead of a 3 star default, make it blank. If you exit without picking one, you leave no rating at all, and nothing counts toward the total. If you pick something, however, you get 5 dilithium ore.

This will encourage people to rate missions, without requiring it of them, and without unbalancing the economy since dil ore is non-transferable and subject to refining maximums.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
08-24-2012, 07:36 AM
I very much like the idea of making it blank, so to rate a mission takes conscious thought, but I would be concerned about offering dilithium for it. I just have a vision of someone going through and 1-starring every mission he sees till he gets to his refining limit. Whatever we do, we must avoid rewarding drive-by star ratings.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Career Officer
# 3
08-24-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm behind the blank star thing. The user should also be prompted to select one in if they had typed a review but left it blank.
Career Officer
# 4
08-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Personally I'm for a binary system instead of a star-rating system, however I support syberghost's suggestion for a blank rating unless deliberately modified by the player.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
08-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxenite View Post
Personally I'm for a binary system instead of a star-rating system, however I support syberghost's suggestion for a blank rating unless deliberately modified by the player.
As in thumbs up or thumbs down?
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Captain
# 6
08-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Think he means thumbs up, I want to put mine in for a thumbs up on it too.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
08-24-2012, 11:37 AM
I`m for this too.

It would be nice to search for missions based on how much dilithium earned as well.
I think that one would be much more accurate.
Career Officer
# 8
09-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by designationxr377 View Post
Think he means thumbs up, I want to put mine in for a thumbs up on it too.
Something like that, yes, but where replays from the same player would give more weight to that players' thumbs-up vote to reflect that players enjoy replaying the mission. This still leaves the problem of farm/grind-missions and balancing reward per time investment but at least a system like this is much less vulnerable to malicious voting meant to lower a missions' rating.
Career Officer
# 9
09-05-2012, 03:27 AM
I belive this has been purposed, and ignored, several times already.

I remember making a similar suggestion back when that whole mess with the foundry happend in season 4 i belive.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Career Officer
# 10
09-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
I believe this has been purposed, and ignored, several times already.
It's probably too much work for results that seem inconsequential to Cryptic/PWE, but whenever asked about this issue, my opinion ? regarding the 5-star system ? will never change.