09-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Neverwinter has the same 5 star system
Career Officer
# 12
09-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbane View Post
Neverwinter has the same 5 star system
I figured it would. Anyway, good job last night!

Empire Veteran
# 13
09-10-2012, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
As in thumbs up or thumbs down?
Bad idea, because the top missions will always be the same. Thumbs up is basically "how many people played it". It can be an interesting filter but the new missions deserve a chance to make it to the top of the list if they are good enough, even if they have been played less than 20 times.

We also know that most of the times, BranFlakes chooses the spotlights from this top 20 missions list, so the thumbs up feature is a good idea only if you want to create some sort of Froundry Establishment, and I don't want to think that it was your intention.

An interesting improvement would be a mark between 0 and 10.

Last edited by diogene0; 09-10-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Career Officer
# 14
09-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
Bad idea, because the top missions will always be the same. Thumbs up is basically "how many people played it". It can be an interesting filter but the new missions deserve a chance to make it to the top of the list if they are good enough, even if they have been played less than 20 times.
That's why my idea isn't just a thumbs up/down but rather a process that takes into account repeat-plays by the same player, mission quit/complete ratio and other values. I just wish to focus the input players have in driving missions to the top of the list in comparison to how the 5-star system allows it to happen.

Quote:
We also know that most of the times, BranFlakes chooses the spotlights from this top 20 missions list, so the thumbs up feature is a good idea only if you want to create some sort of Froundry Establishment, and I don't want to think that it was your intention.
Drogyn was referring to my post and from what I said it seemed like I was talking merely about a thumbs up/down system because that's exactly what I would like the system to expose to people. People would only see a Like/Dislike pair of buttons the first time they completed a mission, and that's it. The overall rating for the mission would be calculated over repeat playthroughs and other factors.

Quote:
An interesting improvement would be a mark between 0 and 10.
In my opinion that wouldn't be an improvement over the 5-star system.

If you're going to rate a mission according to its popularity, Like/Dislike with an adjusted rating based on continued support (repeated play-throughs by the same player) is more accurate than any other system.
Empire Veteran
# 15
09-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxenite View Post
That's why my idea isn't just a thumbs up/down but rather a process that takes into account repeat-plays by the same player, mission quit/complete ratio and other values. I just wish to focus the input players have in driving missions to the top of the list in comparison to how the 5-star system allows it to happen.

Drogyn was referring to my post and from what I said it seemed like I was talking merely about a thumbs up/down system because that's exactly what I would like the system to expose to people. People would only see a Like/Dislike pair of buttons the first time they completed a mission, and that's it. The overall rating for the mission would be calculated over repeat playthroughs and other factors.

In my opinion that wouldn't be an improvement over the 5-star system.

If you're going to rate a mission according to its popularity, Like/Dislike with an adjusted rating based on continued support (repeated play-throughs by the same player) is more accurate than any other system.
Currently, if you have a mission with only five 5 stars ratings, it will make the top of the list. If it's a great mission, it will stay in the top 10 or 20 and people will notice that a new great mission is out.

If you remove that, you will never see any new mission in the top 10, after some time, which is obviously bad for the Foundry. Even if the current top 10 missions are currently really good ones, there is room for improvement and since no mission is perfect, it's legitimate to see an old one people like kicked from the podium for a new one they enjoyed more.

This is why I approve of the current system. 5 stars aren't enough to make a relevant choice IMO, but it's also good to see some turnover in the top 10.
Career Officer
# 16
09-10-2012, 10:59 AM
The 5-star system wasn't chosen to guarantee quality content but rather moving content. To me, that's unsatisfactory therefore I'll never support a 5-star system for UGC.

The TOP-10 list should not show new missions, period. That's the job of a category called EXCITING AND NEW which should be placed above the TOP-10 category. Furthermore, Exciting and New missions should have a grace period in which they reward players with something to entice player votes and playthroughs.

Regarding movement in the TOP-10 category, if Cryptic were to implement my suggestions, players would actively decide which mission remains on the TOP-10 category merely by playing them, repeatedly. This means that if a mission was on the TOP-10 but somehow lost its appeal compared to another TOP-10 mission, then it'd gradually lose its spot and another mission will rise to replace it.

But hey, it all requires a bit more thought, coding, debugging and processing than a 5-star system, you know?

Last edited by lordxenite; 09-10-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Career Officer
# 17
09-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Quote:
The 5-star system wasn't chosen to guarantee quality content but rather moving content. To me, that's unsatisfactory therefore I'll never support a 5-star system for UGC.

The TOP-10 list should not show new missions, period. That's the job of a category called EXCITING AND NEW which should be placed above the TOP-10 category. Furthermore, Exciting and New missions should have a grace period in which they reward players with something to entice player votes and playthroughs.

But hey, it all requires a bit more thought, coding, debugging and processing than a 5-star system, you know?
In the same way, I think a 'thumbs up/thumbs down' system with more weight being given to replays would just open up the floodgates to seeing nothing but '1-click console' or enemy farm missions rise to the top. The number of times replayed by one person (IMO) (especially with 60K missions to choose from) shouldn't even enter into the equation. If you like a mission (for whatever reason) - you should simply be able to say so, give a reason, and a rating; and let that stand as your comment. Whether or not you feel like replaying it multiple times isn't really all that relevent.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Career Officer
# 18
09-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
If you like a mission (for whatever reason) - you should simply be able to say so, give a reason, and a rating; and let that stand as your comment. Whether or not you feel like replaying it multiple times isn't really all that relevant.
Then I think we've agreed to disagree.

Re-focusing on the OP though, I support syberghosts' idea.
Empire Veteran
# 19
09-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Quote:

It's not realistic, there's too much trash (no offense intended, but still) in the "new" tab to find something relevant in it. And how long before it can reach the top 10 if it has too? Not realistic either.

What you're asking can easily be turned into a "number of plays" filter, but please leave the top rated as it is, it's fine. An old mission isn't necessarily one of the best missions, it just received a better exposure. Of course the top 10 holds really good ones but why would you make the turnover so difficult? This is a too conservative attitude for such a tool!

"It's old, thus it's good". Makes no sense to me.

Last edited by diogene0; 09-10-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Career Officer
# 20
09-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Quote:
What you're asking can easily be turned into a "number of plays" filter, but please leave the top rated as it is, it's fine.
I wouldn't mind a filter like that. In which case I could ignore the top-rated and focus on the most-played, fine by me.

Quote:
Of course the top 10 holds really good ones but why would you make the turnover so difficult? This is a too conservative attitude for such a tool!
I do not subscribe to the idea that the top 10 list holds really good missions. However, since we're talking about popularity contests anyway, I would always feel better if the winners had votes that were backed up by consumption patterns rather than anything else.

Anyway, like I told Armsman, we'll agree to disagree.