Lieutenant
# 1 Ground vehicles needed
08-24-2012, 06:02 AM
If you take a look at WoW. Rift, or SWTOR, you'll see players zooming along on mounts. In STO, players run around on shank's mare..meaning they just run.

PW/Cryptic is missing a golden opportunity for cash flow here IMO. Namely, by not offering players an opportunity to use ground mounts.

A couple that come to mind from canon are Christopher Pike's wheelchair and Q's floating throne. Not to mention the Argo from Nemesis.

But the possibilities are limitless, being that this is a sci fi game set in the far future. Jet backpacks, flying platforms, hoverounds that actually hover.

Ground mounts could actually get missions designed around them, with temporary mounts for those players who don't have one already.

Make it so!
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-24-2012, 06:42 AM
always saying this game needs racing games

but swtor is so bad even racing can not rescue it
Commander
# 3
08-24-2012, 06:45 AM
The only social map I can think of that'd be even close to big enough for a mount is Hathon.

Which no one uses once they've completed the 2800.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
08-24-2012, 06:47 AM
Oh, man...think I'd pass. Ground vehicles in STO seems to me about as pointless as a common DOFF that can't be used on a fleet project.
Captain
# 5
08-24-2012, 06:58 AM
The whole point behind mounts in games like WoW or SWTOR, or even flying in CO, is because you need those powers to help speed up travel when going from point A to B because that's where your quest is...

In STO you do that in your starship. None of the ground maps are really large enough to support any sort of ground vehicle, plus then you'd have to figure out what to do with the Boffs. Do they each get one? Do they ride with you?

No there's no real value in such a thing in this game.
Career Officer
# 6
08-24-2012, 07:12 AM
I have an Odyssey class starship for a mount.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Rihannsu
# 7
08-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Please no. We have ships, transporters and shuttles already.

We don't need speeder bikes, ligers, tigers, elephants, motorcycles, cars, trucks, buses or planes.
Captain
# 8
08-24-2012, 09:52 AM
No, we don't need ground vehicles. In my own personal opinion, we don't need much ground at all. . .just focus on space and make it awesome. People who spend all their time on ground really should just play games that are focused towards that. Forcing players who don't friggin like ground (such as myself) to participate in ground in order to complete content is irritating. Star Trek is, first and foremost, a space environment. Ground should have been limited to 'away team missions' like in exploration, and that's that.

Then again, I'm not a grounding fanboy that loves using the poorly-built ground system and the persistent UI lag that accompanies it (unless you've got an expensive and uber-powerful gaming system).

Stop coming up with hare-brained concepts, and stick with the stuff that's actually Star Trek-related. The ground rover in Nemesis was a one-off, and should remain so.
Ensign
# 9
08-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerehtnert7512 View Post
If you take a look at WoW. Rift, or SWTOR, you'll see players zooming along on mounts. In STO, players run around on shank's mare..meaning they just run.

PW/Cryptic is missing a golden opportunity for cash flow here IMO. Namely, by not offering players an opportunity to use ground mounts.

A couple that come to mind from canon are Christopher Pike's wheelchair and Q's floating throne. Not to mention the Argo from Nemesis.

But the possibilities are limitless, being that this is a sci fi game set in the far future. Jet backpacks, flying platforms, hoverounds that actually hover.

Ground mounts could actually get missions designed around them, with temporary mounts for those players who don't have one already.

Make it so!
Great idea! I especially love the part about ground missions! I'd really like to see each planet have a story arc built into it. I'd love to do some actual planetary exploration. Ground vehicles would be a great part of that.
Captain
# 10
08-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Have to join in the chorus of No(s)

Having a mount is inanely pointless in STO, the only places where they should be useable would be missions, and most of them are in very small maps, so it really isnt worth it.

Maybe as a singular 'one off' mission like the space walk in the final jem'hadar mission, but still cant see it happening.

Also just a personal thing, never say 'X Needs' if its not needed. Rather something you WANT