Ensign
# 1 Character Build, help!?
09-26-2012, 04:16 AM
Hey. I am an old player who has returned to STO after being absent for more than 1.5 years. My character build got reset and I would like to build it up once again.

Anyone have any links to guides? Or do you want to give me some advice here?

Some info about my character:
Engineer, Rear Admiral.
Star Cruiser.

BOF space abilities:
Tactical: Fire at Will 1, High Yield 2
Engineer: Emergency power to Weapons 1, Emergency power to shields 2, auxiliary power to structural integrity field 2, eject warp plasma 2, engineering team 1, extend shields 1
Science: Polarize hull, Hazard Emitters , Science Team 1

My playstyle:
I like draining shields with phasers and keeping my own shields up.
I'm a casual player but would like to be somewhat of an asset to a fleet action. So I dont need a pure tank build, just something fun and semi-competitive.

Thanks in advance!
Rihannsu
# 2
09-26-2012, 05:47 AM
Sounds like a good setup for a cruiser.

What's your gear setup?

anyways, just make sure you put points into some of the tactical skills for weapon damage.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 3
09-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrephtelders View Post
Hey. I am an old player who has returned to STO after being absent for more than 1.5 years. My character build got reset and I would like to build it up once again.

Anyone have any links to guides? Or do you want to give me some advice here?
Two threads you may want to glance over:

+ The "Dragon Flagship Build" thread
+ The "How to build a Cruiser that is actually worth something" thread

At a glance, the build you posted appears to be missing (i) Tac Team (ii) Multiple copies of EPTX.

Science Team isn't as needed any more (depending on when you left you may have missed the science skill nerfs - basically disables aren't worth much in PVE these days and even Pure Science builds in PVP have become much less viable). I'd swap it out for Transfer Shield Strength instead, since it won't share a cooldown with Tac Team. And you really want at least one copy of Tac Team 1 for additional survivability.

Running both EPTWx2 and EPTSx2 is the basic idea behind most Cruiser variants. The Star Cruiser has more than enough Engineering BOFF slots to make this viable, you'd still have three left for Aux2SIF plus Extend Shields/RSP/etc.

There's a console called "Vent Theta Radiation" that's available as a lockbox reward on the exchange which does pretty much the same thing as Eject Warp Plasma. Engineering Team is only good as a raw Spike HP Heal and it shares a cooldown with Tac Team... for PVE, Aux2SIF and Hazard Emitters should cover all your Hull Healing needs.

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]