Captain
I think this posting will stir up a mixture of responses, some extreme some moderate, some positive, some negative.

Proposal: Why not sell a per-character Zen token that grants any level-50 character the status of "defector," which effectively allows the character to play either Fed or KDF?. 1000 Zen? 2000 Zen? Let the company figure out the price.

I am primarily a KDF player, and so I see in this idea the potential to increase sales on the KDF side. I imagine that, while the Fed side consistently gets new ships, the KDF has a very strong lineup of interesting and powerful ships. For instance, the BOPs with their universal BOFF slots, etc. I bet that if KDF ships were open to level 50 Fed players, there would certainly be a spike in KDF sales.

I myself could think of a number of problems with this proposal that would have to be worked out, both on the programming side and on the practical game-play side. I could also think of a number of advantages, esp. in pvp.

Nevertheless, even if a large number think it is a bad idea (and I am still not convinced by it either!), I still think it is still an idea worth floating.

Let the debate begin. I look forward to your comments, critical and otherwise.

-

@gradstudent1
PvP Boot Camp Project Leader Emeritus
Empire Veteran
# 2
08-24-2012, 11:50 PM
I'd be more for a sub-faction of mercenaries or something along those lines that doesn't really focus on one or the other to start with. A kind of '25th century Maquis' without the 'freedom fighter' part to them.

Your idea would make sense within the context of the game though, in war there are spies, defectors, etc. After all there is the 'Instigate Defection' DOFF mission, it could be plausible after all.

That said, not a fan of it myself, because a Starfleet Vice Admiral or Klingon Lt. General defecting...eh...I dunno.

Starfleet would probably debrief the person, get every single last bit of info they could, and then put them somewhere safe, but not a prision.

The Klingon Empire would probably do the same...except kill the person the moment they were done getting intel.

Even so, how can you trust a traitor?

You can 'essentially' play a human as a KDF, and there are Starfleet Klingons, so, we kinda have that already.

I like your idea, but I am on the fence about it. It's nice, but...even if they did make it happen, it wouldn't make sense to suddenly let these defectors command ships and such.

Captain
# 3
08-25-2012, 12:13 AM
There is already Omega Force, no need to defect really. Once again, this could be an oppurtunity for sub-factions:

Blue: Choose between citizen of the federation (civilian (trader, diplomat, planetary militia, non-starfleet vessels and tech), Starfleet (Eng, Sci, Tac, Starfleet exclusive uniforms, vessels and tech)

Red: Choose between the KDF (Eng, Sci, Tac, Klingon-only, exclusive uniforms and tech) or their allies/protectorates (Gorn, Nausica, Orion - each one with a HOMEWORLD, unique looks, vessels and tech)

Upon reching max level, open up the possiblity to join your factions special force (Elite Force / Honor guard) or OMEGA FORCE - keep your initial class but get access to EXCLUSIVE omega-vessels and tech and more cross-faction missions.

This would end the chaotic state of anarchy the game is at the moment and would add a lot of fluff and plausibility to it. But then again, this is not what the game is about. It's about selling optical gimmicks to random people for cash until the servers go down. So, nah, won't happen
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
Captain
# 4
08-25-2012, 03:50 AM
I do think that the already established OMEGA group has the potential to expand, maybe through a"token" as I suggest or through some other means. There is so much room to develop the OMEGA aspect of the game, especially given the fact that we have only 6 stfs. The story behind OMEGA is great: enemies join to fight a common enemy. Great. Let's see some more content, ships, possibilities around this topic!

@gradstudent1
PvP Boot Camp Project Leader Emeritus
Lieutenant
# 5
08-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Orion Syndicate anyone?
Captain
# 6
08-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
That said, not a fan of it myself, because a Starfleet Vice Admiral or Klingon Lt. General defecting...eh...I dunno.

Starfleet would probably debrief the person, get every single last bit of info they could, and then put them somewhere safe, but not a prision.

The Klingon Empire would probably do the same...except kill the person the moment they were done getting intel.
No, the KDF would kill him/her for even trying to defect to them. Remember When Riker was temporarily assigned to a Bird of Prey as part fo the exchange program?

The Captain of that vessel ordered him to tell him the weaknesses of the Enterprise, Riker refused stating that he'd taken an othe to both ships and would not compromise other, he would dye defending the BOP but he would not break his oathe to starfleet. THe Captain promptly told him that he would have killed him if he HAD broken his oathe to starfleet.

It would have to be a retirement token for Fed side if anything like this happened.