Lt. Commander
# 1 Science abilities recap
08-25-2012, 12:32 AM
I've just spent:
-1000 zen (respec and then re-respec)
-1 hour of my time
to test ALL science abilities and related powers.

Test scenario.
Tholian science vessel with Joined Trill captain, with 100 points in all science skills and 4 particle generators consoles (mk xii purple) OR 4 flow capacitors consoles (mk xii purple).
It's the maximum you can do with current traits and gear.
Consoles were switched as necessary depending on ability tested.
Opponent: a D'Kora with 9 points in power insulators and 6 points in hull and armor plating, 3 points in confuse and placate counters, 12.000 shields, at 2.5 km not moving and not activating buffs.

CPB3: ~2.000 shields damage, barely noticeable. Tooltip damage was ~4.800
PSW3: ~0 absolutely nothing against a shielded target, but hey ~0 against an unshielded target. Tooltip damage was ~5.600
Tachyon Beam 3: ~3.000 shield damage over 10 seconds, it's nothing.
FBP3: ~7% hull damage when opponent was firing everything, ridiculous.
GW3: ~560 hull damage per second against a shielded target, it's so low that it was entirely countered by opponent's native hull regen.
TBR3: ~750 hull damage per second against a shielded target. quite good against target unshielded.
VM3 and SS3: disable or confuse duration as expected, ~20 and ~15 sec
Tyken 3 and Energy Siphon 3: barely noticeable effect on energy levels, ~20 and ~30 respectively
Native target subsystem 1 of a science ship: ~30 power level from the targetet subsystem (it was 51 in the tooltip, but hey, he had 9 points on power insulators)

Test on more exotic things boosted by flow capacitors:
Tholian torpedo: ~25 weapons and engines energy level, it has a 15% proc chance, so if normalized it's an amazing 3,75 energy drain per shot (and i repeat: all this with 4 flow capacitors consoles)
Ferengi mines: YES! THAT WORKS! With 4 flow capacitors consoles, 4 mines stripped ~5.000 from the opponents shield.

I don't think that I need to comment, but I will.
In the commander slot of a science ship the only abilities that work as intended are VM3, SS3.
And the only working offensive ability is TBR3.
If you want an offensive build, the best ability you can use there is... Photonic Officer 3, at least you can reduce cooldown on tac or eng abilities that are not broken like the sci ones.

I'm sad.
Have a nice vacation, Borticus.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread has officially been declared a "No SophLogimo Zone"

Last edited by francescos772; 08-25-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Ensign
# 2
08-25-2012, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by francescos772 View Post
In the commander slot of a science ship the only abilities that work as intended are VM3 and SS3.
In my opinion it's fair to add TBR3 among those. It does what you'd expect from it and also does alot of damage on top of that if you're a tactical captain (~3,1k per pulse is what I can get fully buffed). That doesn't make the commander sci-slot look alot less grim though :c
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-25-2012, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exal7 View Post
In my opinion it's fair to add TBR3 among those. It does what you'd expect from it and also does alot of damage on top of that if you're a tactical captain (~3,1k per pulse is what I can get fully buffed). That doesn't make the commander sci-slot look alot less grim though :c
Yes, corrected the post.

Last edited by francescos772; 08-25-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 4
08-25-2012, 03:28 AM
here's a happy number! on my fleet ktinga with 3 blue mkxi particle gens and 84 points from skills, i deal just under 600 dot with EWP3. tac buffed and at 100% health its deals more then 1200, it would be more if i respec and put 9 points in particles. not only is it a great snare, its a GREAT damage contributor.

im tempted to buy up a bunch of cheap plasma weapons buffed by plasma energy consoles that will further buff the dot and go for maximum plasma ownage. except plasma cant own with -20% damage penalty built in

but, this just goes to show how effortlessly a tac captain in every situation puts eng and sci captains out of a job.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Captain
# 5
08-25-2012, 04:19 AM
Regarding FBP3. . .that's seems awfully low compared to my experiences with fighting sci ships. I've shot at sci ships with FBP activated and have lost 20-30% of my hull in a single attack run (3-4 salvos from cannons, maybe a repelled beam overload as well), and I'm not running light on hull armor. Maybe the D'kora in question was just undergunned and specc'd more into tanking than DPS?
Rihannsu
# 6
08-25-2012, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
but, this just goes to show how effortlessly a tac captain in every situation puts eng and sci captains out of a job.
this cannot be said often enough, while we're at it quick rundown of Eng Cmdr abilities

ES3: great op no kill i button to teammate
AB3: crap
BP3: laughing stock
DEM3: useless for eng
EWP3: buffed by sci tree and TAC abilities no bonus to be used by engs
RSP3: lol
Aux2Sif3: great hull heal
Aux2Damp3: not sure why you would want that
Aux2BAt3: 1 seems to do the job fine

i see the choice between great shield heal for teammates or on heal that might also be cast on self.....
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013

Last edited by havam; 08-25-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Rihannsu
# 7
08-25-2012, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havam View Post
this cannot be said often enough, while we're at it quick rundown of Eng Cmdr abilities

ES3: great op no kill i button to teammate
AB3: crap
BP3: laughing stock
DEM3: useless for eng
RSP3: lol
Aux2Sif3: great hull heal
Aux2Damp3: not sure why you would want that
Aux2BAt3: 1 seems to do the job fine

i see the choice between great shield heal for teammates or on heal that might also be cast on self.....
You forgot EWP3.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Rihannsu
# 8
08-25-2012, 05:09 AM
Quote:
[...]except plasma cant own with -20% damage penalty built in
[...]
By which he means that every established endgame shield has 20% plasma resistance. Just in case anyone wonders.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Career Officer
# 9
08-25-2012, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exal7 View Post
yes, TBR3 does what it's upposed to do, but if anything, it should be a ltcom ability. It's not THAT useful, and in many situations mess up your own teams efforts also.
Quote:
^^this

Boff/console abilities a tac does better:
- EWP
- Acetone beam (?)
- DEM
- FBP
- GW
- Tykens
- PSW
- TBR
- TB (though minimal damage)
- Other eject-abilities from consoles
- Isometric charge
- Magnetometric Generator
- Possibly: Point defence system and acetone assimilator ?

Boff/console abilities a sci or engi does better:
- uhm...
Career Officer
# 10
08-25-2012, 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
By which he means that every established endgame shield has 20% plasma resistance. Just in case anyone wonders.
ah, i DID wonder. TY