Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
OK where is the Rock, metal, rap, new wave, funk, punk music in the Next Gen onwards era. All they seem to like is jazz, opera and classical.

Why havent we seen Data singing Prodigy's Smack my Tribble Up. Or Riker doing a trombone solo to anything by Anthrax?! In the 25th century musical tastes cant have become become so....conservative & dull!

And now heres Chancellor Martok to sing Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody!

Is musical choice so boring in the 25th Century? Discuss!
Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo...
Career Officer
# 2
08-25-2012, 04:02 AM
There was rock music in ST: First Contact. Otherwise, I remember classical and jazz only.

Thinking of the novels, the fictional drad music was popular, e.g. Captain Dax is a fan of it. Kim still plays clarinet, Riker remains jazz afficionado, Picard is *the* fan of everything styled classic/revered old and Worf has his Klingon opera. Not much else beside it. Besides drad, I've also never heard of contemporary 24th century music.

But we have a piece of 25th century sound: The lounge music of Club 47 in ESD.
Leipzig University, 1409-2409
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
08-25-2012, 04:15 AM
Its quite simple

First came the Eugenics wars
Then the Third world war
plus a few other little wars

all the punk was cleaned out
as were all the other musical styles not worth archiving (house , grunge , garage ,club mixes and everything by prince)
Captain
# 4
08-25-2012, 04:29 AM
That be funny. Have a pirate radio station playing old late 20 & -21 century songs! Or a reviccover band performinh heavy metal hits. I bet that go down well with the Klingons!
Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo...
Rihannsu
# 5
08-25-2012, 04:41 AM
I've always found Trek's lack of musical taste unrealistic. I just assumed the characters we've seen are the ones with no taste and don't represent the entire population.

At least Worf hates jazz.
Lieutenant
# 6
08-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Well since I only ever listen to classical music my opinion is that since the Federation is an enlightened culture they would use the more poetic and humanitarian styles of music. I doubt that 25th century Earth is concerned about bitches, grills, bling, and pimping as a way of self expression. Also music forms like classical and Jazz are far more complex which makes sense for a society that teaches calculus to 10 year old children.

I do not wish to offend anybody who enjoys rap and rock; I'm just stating the most logical reason, well according to my logic anyway.
Captain
# 7
08-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Magic carpet ride: Steppenwolf

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Rihannsu
# 8
08-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbon1182 View Post
Well since I only ever listen to classical music my opinion is that since the Federation is an enlightened culture they would use the more poetic and humanitarian styles of music. I doubt that 25th century Earth is concerned about bitches, grills, bling, and pimping as a way of self expression. Also music forms like classical and Jazz are far more complex which makes sense for a society that teaches calculus to 10 year old children.

I do not wish to offend anybody who enjoys rap and rock; I'm just stating the most logical reason, well according to my logic anyway.
The kind of music plaguing the radio should die.

I like symphonic metal, which is complex and poetic and is far from the bitches and bling bullscheisse, classical feels empty without the rock elements and jazz is just...I find it unbearable.
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
08-25-2012, 05:12 PM
This is why I intend to live forever, so I can warp the minds of future children on the only real music, Metal.
Formerly: Ally_of_the_Force/Now: A Ticked Off Customer
Member Since 10-2009/Murdered 6-2012
NO TO ARC!!!
4 Year Veteran
Captain
# 10
08-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Infinite copyright got it.

Seriously.

They have classical music because they didn't have to pay for it for the show.

I imagine, if you want an in-character explanation (and not pretend it still exists in the background), it's entirely possible that much of it was lost in the various wars (e.g. the Eugenics War, WWIII, etc.), in no small part because it was encumbered by many of these same copyright laws, which rendered it difficult to archive or distribute it.