Cryptic Studios Team
# 21
08-27-2012, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedom01 View Post
Would you please please please (with whipped cream on top of it) explain them that you painted shiny coloured lines on the ground for easier orientation?
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking?

I put colored lines around each quadrant with the thought that players might use those colors to help coordinate attacks. Rather than saying "He's in the top left!" you could potentially say "He's in the Red section!"

Who knows if it's easier or better, or not, but I figured it was better to have that option than not.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Career Officer
# 22
08-27-2012, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post

I put colored lines around each quadrant with the thought that players might use those colors to help coordinate attacks. Rather than saying "He's in the top left!" you could potentially say "He's in the Red section!"

Who knows if it's easier or better, or not, but I figured it was better to have that option than not.
People did refer to colors at first. But since many people didn't know which corner was which color (due to the jamming), people felt it was simpler just to call out Upper / Lower Left / Right or NW,NE,SW,SE.
Commander
# 23
08-27-2012, 02:51 AM
Quote:

I asked for exactly that. Thanks.

And red is bottom left! or front left. or down left. or SW or.... or.... or....
Survivor of Romulus
# 24
08-27-2012, 02:58 AM
Scicom report (science command thats my alt fleet)

Tests
Wait til everyone up before entering
result Captain taken down

Wait 2 MINUTES before entering
result captain taken down

Wait 5 minutes while Alan went to the bathroom and keith and I had sandwiches
Result captain beamed out while we were taking him down but was still there

I can confirm that when those tests were conducted the timer starts ONLY when the first character crosses the line

(as does the stupid pop up)
Career Officer
# 25
08-27-2012, 07:45 AM
If this is true, I stand corrected. sollvax, thanks for you and your teammates taking the time to run these tests. They were something I had wanted to run but had not gotten around to yet. I only had anecdotal evidence from myself and others that skipping cutscene and running greatly enhanced our rate of killing the captain -- it seemed very likely that it was the case, but your tests support this was coincidental.

If this is the case, it is still best to skip the cutscene just so everyone is aware *when* the first person crosses the line. I'd suggest that Cryptic make that cutscene unskippable like the round 2 one to avoid one or more people triggering early captain early.
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18745 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)
Career Officer
# 26
08-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Quote:

wait... what colors?

*note to self* look out for colors
Captain
# 27
08-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyrexianhero View Post
I'd suggest that Cryptic make that cutscene unskippable like the round 2 one to avoid one or more people triggering early captain early.
That cutscene isn't long enough to stop people from rushing out the door before the rest of the team is ready. Phase 2 tends to have a fairly high kill rate, so odds are good at least one person will be on a 30 second CD before they can respawn.

I'd say most people rush out the door because they believe the timer starts as soon as the phase starts. So the problem is mostly one of ignorance, but there is no good way to fix that in a MMO. Most people skip the mission text completely, fewer will bother reading a guide.
Career Officer
# 28
08-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptvanor View Post
That cutscene isn't long enough to stop people from rushing out the door before the rest of the team is ready. Phase 2 tends to have a fairly high kill rate, so odds are good at least one person will be on a 30 second CD before they can respawn.

I'd say most people rush out the door because they believe the timer starts as soon as the phase starts. So the problem is mostly one of ignorance, but there is no good way to fix that in a MMO. Most people skip the mission text completely, fewer will bother reading a guide.
Then perhaps simply making it clearer that the timer starts when it does. Before leaving the room, one sees the captain but not his protectors. There are a number of possible solutions:
  • Wait 5 seconds or require everyone to okay a prompt before anyone can leave the room.
  • Mission text that says the captain has beamed down to trigger when someone leaves the room.
  • Allow people to see the captain's timer from the respawn location so they can see for themselves its not ticking upward.
  • Put the captain's timer in the mission objectives window. If you see it was at say, 0:30 and didn't move until someone left the room that would get the message across to players very quickly.

I'm sure there are further options out there but those were just off the top of my head.
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18745 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)
Survivor of Romulus
# 29
08-27-2012, 01:27 PM
What I would do (and im not a Dev or anything ) is this

Start of phase one
Everyones chat window opens and local and team chat turns on
The words "comms test" appears in yellow above the box
Everyone says something in local or team chat
WHEN they all have timer starts
if anyone Doesn't reply within 1 minute they despawn and someone replaces them

at end of phase one when everyone is back in the room the door stays shut for 30 seconds

EVERYONES chat windows pop open and local and Team chat turns on
A mission briefing option pops up (but not filling the screen)

At end of phase two All players return to start as previously
BEAMING those on cooldown into the room still on cool down
Chat window opens
as above

Door remains CLOSED until everyone is standing up
Short (30 second ) timer then runs before door opens

ok the missions a little longer
but success rates have at least doubled
Empire Veteran
# 30
08-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
wait... what colors?

*note to self* look out for colors
My thoughts exactly.
I and others I've played with just refer to them as top/bottom left/right working off the mini map.

Seriously, I've never noticed the colours, lol
Dislike the forum theme? Try THIS. Dislike the STO home page? Try THIS.
Devs, need Fleet Orion Marauder and Dacoit please! :-)

Using - Benthan, Voth Fighter. Favs - Bulwark, Fleet Corsair, Mogh, Nicor, Mat'Ha
Some others - Qib, Orion Marauder, Guramba, JHEC, JAS, Bastion