Lt. Commander
# 1 To DEVS......
08-24-2012, 10:49 AM
....You have a very large community of people here, many (though certainly not all), enjoy this game and understand it's mechanics very well after hours and 100's of hours of play time. STO focuses a lot on rersources, well, you have a huge resource available to you in the community.

Why not let them help you come up with solutions to difficult problems? You could even open up "by invitaion only" forums if you want to keep the disscusions managable. Focus groups if you will. I am ceratin you know which forum members have spent significant time reverse engineering the systems you are trying to work on. Who better to help you fix them then those who know best how to exploit them... or at least have hours of playtime working with them?

I've seen it done before. It works.
Captain
# 2
08-24-2012, 10:58 AM
As I understand it the game already has a "Red Squad" of testers who test on a private Server. From there it gets released to Tribble, and then to Holodeck.
Community Moderator
# 3
08-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Warped away to the "General" zone from "Duty Officer System"... Hope you enjoyed the ride!
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Empire Veteran
# 4
08-24-2012, 11:08 AM
I think the very simple answer is, they just don't have the time.

They're already mildly swamped with STO as is, from the planners to the content designers to the QA team (yes they exist). The team's growing at it's own pace, but a lot of what they've said implies this.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Last edited by trek21; 08-24-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Rihannsu
# 5
08-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
As I understand it the game already has a "Red Squad" of testers who test on a private Server. From there it gets released to Tribble, and then to Holodeck.
The problem with red squad is they were all incredibly annoying and then died.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
I think the very simple answer is, they just don't have the TIME.

They're already mildly swamped with STO as is, from the planners to the content designers to the QA team (yes they exist). The team's growing at it's own pace, but a lot of what they've said implies this.
Meh, this doesn't wash..... and the Red Squad thing clearly is not enough either.

Time is only an issue if they are there discussing ever minutia of every issue. That is not what I am suggesting, rather a place where they ask questions, collect opinions, and suggested solutions. a more focused environment then the current forums offer.

As for Red Squad...... recent evidence suggests that the current testing process is not (and I really hate to use this term, but there is none beter) working as intended.

But what I am discusing isn't about testing... it is a level of community feedback that would be used when systems are first conceived, and/or when problems that require well considered solutions are needed.
Career Officer
# 7
08-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncutter001 View Post
Meh, this doesn't wash..... and the Red Squad thing clearly is not enough either.

Time is only an issue if they are there discussing ever minutia of every issue. That is not what I am suggesting, rather a place where they ask questions, collect opinions, and suggested solutions. a more focused environment then the current forums offer.

As for Red Squad...... recent evidence suggests that the current testing process is not (and I really hate to use this term, but there is none beter) working as intended.

But what I am discusing isn't about testing... it is a level of community feedback that would be used when systems are first conceived, and/or when problems that require well considered solutions are needed.
You mean like say, A STO Advisory Council perhaps? Just FYI - they wanted something like this, and even chose a core group; and then the Forums errupted in a mad, sad, and disgusting display of cries of 'favoriism' and 'Hey, why should anyone's opion matter more than someone else wjho also plays the game...", etc. - and all this was about a month or so after the game first launched in 2010.

So, in the end, the player reaction (even beyond the Forums) was such that the STO Devs abandonded the idea entirely, and I don't think it's something they want to revisit.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
# 8
08-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Those were sad times indeed... I really wouldn't want to have to live through that forum hate again.
Empire Veteran
# 9
08-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
The problem with red squad is they were all incredibly annoying and then died.
Lt. Leslie was pretty cool, I mean as red shirts go, and he survived certain DEATH.
If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
They taste the same.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
You mean like say, A STO Advisory Council perhaps? Just FYI - they wanted something like this, and even chose a core group; and then the Forums errupted in a mad, sad, and disgusting display of cries of 'favoriism' and 'Hey, why should anyone's opion matter more than someone else wjho also plays the game...", etc. - and all this was about a month or so after the game first launched in 2010.

So, in the end, the player reaction (even beyond the Forums) was such that the STO Devs abandonded the idea entirely, and I don't think it's something they want to revisit.
It's a shame then that this games greatest resource goes largely untaped because some people are so immature. More so that a professional company can't find a way to make thier player base feel like they are part of the solution rather then the source of the problem.