Career Officer
I have a famous Trek character in mind for use in a Foundry mission. It really can't be any other character for the plot I have in mind.

I'd like to point out a couple of things from the EULA FAQ that Branflakes posted and solicit community feedback on a specific case. The EULA states we can use characters but NOT actors likenesses. This was clarified as such in the FAQ:

Quote:
3. Are we allowed to use the character of Dax, with the symbiont in a new host?
Nothing in the EULA prevents this. Please refer to the EULA for a list of "Star Trek Properties."
5. Can we mention a person, but not show them? For instance, mention "James T. Kirk did XYZ??"
Nothing in the EULA prevents this. Please refer to the EULA for a list of "Star Trek Properties."
6. I know we cannot portray actors, but what about characters who were in costumes and make-up and you cannot tell who the actor was?
7. Could I write a mission in which the player opens a channel and has a long, drawn out conversation with Picard? I would use a costume of a ship to represent him in the popup dialog.
So here's the deal.

It's Picard. However, my version is:
- Aged up to 104.
- Has a face obscuring beard.
- Is wearing a VISOR for plot specific reasons.

Here's a screenshot of him as he'd appear:
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/9...2082601555.jpg

Does that count as full makeup? Or do I need to put him in a Breen suit, with a bit more babble?

I've tried playing with the plot, using other characters. It comes out odd with anyone other than our esteemed former captain and ambassador to Vulcan in the role.

I'd value community opinions on this.
Lieutenant
# 2
08-25-2012, 11:45 PM
I would say that the problem is the whole "baldness" thing. Why? That is a specific likeness of Patric Stewart as Picard. I'm sure when they were writing the character they didnt say "hey, we want Picard to be a bald guy", it just turned out they cast Stewart and thats how he looks and they went with it. So if you wanted to reinvtent a new look for that character that would be ok, but by the rules you cant use the likeness of Stewart as Picard. And just to be clear, I'm not saying it bothers me, just answering your question.

PS: if you wanted to make some joke about him wearing a wig or getting implants, that would probably solve the likeness issue.

Last edited by sl1ckm1ster; 08-25-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-25-2012, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
It's Picard. However, my version is:
- Aged up to 104.
- Has a face obscuring beard.
- Is wearing a VISOR for plot specific reasons.

Here's a screenshot of him as he'd appear:
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/9...2082601555.jpg
I'd just like to mention that your screenshot looks EXACTLY how I pictured him in my mind from your description. Nice work.

Man, I need to play more Foundry missions... I'm missing out.
Cryptic, you can put that as a quote on the back of the box.

=/\= Transwarp 10.0 Victory Achieved on 26-July-2012, Six Months After F2P =/\=
Career Officer
# 4
08-26-2012, 12:39 AM
Be nice if they can go over the EULA once again and fine tune with examples of Do's and Do nots.

From what I understand of past discussion over the Foundry EULA:
  • You cannot show canonical characters.
  • You can "talk" to canonical characters (view screen off, talking via communicators).
  • I'm iffy with canonical starships. At one time we were told all canonical ships are off limits, but in the last couple of months I heard it was okay to put them in. (So not sure what the real legalities are).
(I'm particulary interested given that I'm doing the Foundry misson of the Kor's Klacht D'Kel Brakt mission. So far reference Kor, and sort of put in Klothos in, but not 100% sure. But others put the Enterprises in their missions so I'm not 100% sure with ships).

So with Picard, Lev..........I wouldn't chance it.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!

New Crafting = It's not Crafting, is an overblown Reputation System.

Last edited by azurianstar; 08-26-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Career Officer
# 5
08-26-2012, 12:46 AM
...we need hats in this game.
Lieutenant
# 6
08-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
You cannot show canonical characters.
They changed their stance on this. You can now show the character, it just cant look like the actor who played them. Which basically ruins the whole point of showing the character. But if it was an alien who was wearing so much make up you cant see what the actor really looks like, you could do that.
Career Officer
# 7
08-26-2012, 04:04 PM
It looks nothing like Patrick Stewart to me, so I'd say it's fine. Patrick Stewart's head is not that wide/fat, and also I'd say the nose is different (but I would not try to make it look more like him). It actually reminds me more of an Admiral seen in TNG. I think he was on the show where the Bynars hijacked the Enterprise.

I guess the question you have to ask is if you used that character and his name was Captain Doe would it be a problem (because technically using an actor's likeness is not OK even if it's not for the character they played in the show).

I feel this is more of a situation of "recasting" one of the characters, such as has been done in the JJ Trek. It's still reminiscent of the original in certain ways, but is clearly a different person.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Career Officer
# 8
08-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1ckm1ster View Post
I would say that the problem is the whole "baldness" thing. Why? That is a specific likeness of Patric Stewart as Picard. I'm sure when they were writing the character they didnt say "hey, we want Picard to be a bald guy", it just turned out they cast Stewart and thats how he looks and they went with it. So if you wanted to reinvtent a new look for that character that would be ok, but by the rules you cant use the likeness of Stewart as Picard. And just to be clear, I'm not saying it bothers me, just answering your question.

PS: if you wanted to make some joke about him wearing a wig or getting implants, that would probably solve the likeness issue.
I think what you're overlooking is that Patrick Stewart is bald, but not all bald men are Patrick Stewart. If baldness was the only aspect that determined whether a character was a likeness of Patrick Stewart, then we wouldn't be able to use any bald characters at all. And also Stewart would be getting royalties for the last 4 seasons of DS9.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Career Officer
# 9
08-26-2012, 04:22 PM
The gimmick with the VISOR is because I thought about what kind of treatments he's taking for his Irumodic syndrome.

There's no known treatment as of All Good Things but my idea is that he undergoes metaphasic radiation treatments which are supplied by the Ba'ku (and Anij in particular) out of gratitude for his role in saving the Ba'ku in Insurrection. This slows the degradation of his mind but borrowing from the episode Time Squared (where we had a Picard from six hours in the future), the intense dose of time altering metaphasic radiation throws his neural engrams temporally out of sync, resulting in him suffering from motor and sensory difficulties whenever he gets a treatment. Hence the VISOR, which I'm saying he has to wear for a couple of days after each treatment.

That and the beard help mask the likeness but I think the Treknobabble reason is sound enough that you don't THINK about how much I'm masking the likeness.
Career Officer
# 10
08-26-2012, 04:24 PM
I think the VISOR works as a convenient counter to brainwaves that are temporally out of sync in part due to the properties of the VISOR we saw in Parallels, where the VISOR triggered Worf's jumps between universes.