Empire Veteran
# 1 Please advice (Borta tac)
08-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Hello Folks,
Please go easy on me cos Im still learning the ropes of this game.
I have the following setup on my Borta tac cruiser (Tac Klingon captain)

Front: 2x Borg AntiProton Beam Array, 1x Borg AP Turret & 1 Borg Quantum Torp
Back: 3X Mk XI Very rare AP Turret, 1x Mk XI AP Beam (all got from Dilithium store)
Full Jem'Hadar Engine, deflector and shield set
Consoles: Borta Tac (for the autocannon) and War console (for the BoP), 2X MkXI AP buff console, a couple hull plating consoles for defence, and one borg console and few other utility consoles.

I just started doing the STFs (Both std and elite) and so far I've been doing a lot better than I thought I would be. Until one helpful kdf player told me that my turrets would be better off as beams because in some fights I might be father than 5KM away.

I do realize my set is still dominion, but as mentioned before I just started the stf so it will be a while before I get a honor-guard set.

My question is, should I change my turrets to beams? I kinda love how I can go canon-rapid fire and see my turrets do full on . Will beams be better on the bortas?
Also is the borg set (the one u get for encrypted chips) better than the dominion set?

Appreciate any responses
Cheers

Pathor (KDF)
Empire Veteran
# 2
08-26-2012, 05:03 AM
The thing is, the Dominion set is kinda tailor-made for Polaron weaponry (the Set 2 bonus boosts their weapons actually). In fact, only the Jem'Hadar Bug and the Galor get the Victory is Life boost (chance to remove buffs when using Polaron weaponry).

So, with you using Antiproton, you're not getting the full benefit from it. I'm not saying you should get rid of the pieces, but you should carefully consider things.

Now the Borg set... It's easy to get, and it's benefits are quite good (execpt for the 4-piece bonus, the tractor beam):

The Autonomous Regeneration Sequencer gives you an automatic bonus to your Hull Repair skill, boosts your hull regeneration in&out of combat, and everytime you take damage, there's a chance you'll get an automatic hull heal (up to 30% over 10 secs) that also reduces incoming damage.

The Multi-Regenerative Shield Array moniters your damage to shields. Whenever a shield facing falls below 20%, there's a 10% chance per attack that this will kick in, healing your shields over 10 secs (like an automatic Transfer Shield Strength). It also clears any Hazard Debuffs when it kicks in, such as the Borg Shield Drain.

Now, since you can get these bonuses with only 3 pieces (the console, the deflector and engine; the latter of which also gives Sector Space bonus speed), that leaves you free for a shield, possibly the Honor Guard

But you may be wondering, is the Borg Set better than the Honor Guard you're planning to get?

The HG engines are certainly better, giving you boosts in Weapons, Shields and Auxilary power. But the trade-off is the Sector Space speed bonus from the Borg engines. The deflector is kinda mixed: both give good benefits, but the Honor Guard's is more widespread (plus the Borg bonuses is mostly to help improve resistances to powers). The HG shield is clearly better, with a higher capacity, the potential accuracy reduction on your enemy, and higher plasma resist.

All that remains is the set bonuses: The Tactical Readiness boosts Torpedo damage, gives you a boost in Aux power, and provides resistance to crew damage. The Mask Energy Field is essentially an AoE Cloak ability, but it only affects friends when they're within 3-5 KM.

So really, both sets are quite good, though each in different ways. It depends on your build, your purpose in the STF's (tank, DPS, etc), and what will best suit that.

And about your weaponry, I'm not sure on the DPS aspects of Beams over Turrets, but at the very least, I'd switch that rear BA with the forward Turret (you'll get better use over both that way).
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Last edited by trek21; 08-26-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 3
08-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Thanks mate Appreciate the detailed response.
Career Officer
# 4
08-27-2012, 04:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt8-lDmbpeQ&feature=plcp

Once you get your base gear from normals and start elites, you may want to switch the abilities to single target ones.

deflector and console borg, engine and shield khg are a good mix of abilities from both sets. decent heals, placates, added torp damage, etc. 3pc borg and just khg shield would be the greatest heals and keeps the placates and target drop.

sometimes i run full sets just because i feel stubborn. but thats me.

greater than five k from the target doesn't mean ineffective. it means less effective than if you were at three k.

it doesn't make beams better. it makes them different. it makes the entire ship load out different.

cannon ships will be pointing at the target, spewing cannon fire and torpedoes at the target, and laying a mine field to destroy any npcs that get close, or to add punishment when working on gates etc.

there's a lot more to consider than just the effectiveness of cannon fire at ranges over five k.

and. for example. lets say the target is immobile. move closer. not hard. and the targets that do move. be in front of them. the range will decrease, ur damage will climb and climb, and if need be they hit ur minefield. profit.

cheers happy flying.
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.
Empire Veteran
# 5
08-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Nice vid!

Ever notice the similarity with the Borta and the Starcraft Terran Battlecruiser!? The SC one has a yamato cannon and the ST one the disruptor cannon
----------------------------------------------------------------------
We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

-Roach, when asked about Klingon extinction!
Empire Veteran
# 6
08-29-2012, 03:22 AM
If you really love the pew pew pew of your turrets firing with CRF, you could go with a single cannon build, I used one in a galor to great effect. Because the turn rate is simular to the Galaxy X you could modify Hakaishin's set up to suit yourself. His excelent build is here.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=285491

For survivability you really want to run 3 part borg with KHG shields. I have found the Jem'hadar set to be rather worthless in comparison.

A simple build off the top of my head could look like this.

KHG shields, Borg Deflector/Engines

Weapns: Fore: 4 single cannons Aft: 4 turrets
Engi Consoles: borg/armor/BoP/Autocannon
Sci Consoles: Field Generators
Tac Consoes: whichever boost your energy type.

LTC tac: tac team, CRF1, APO
LT Tac: Tac team, CRF1
LT Sci: Haz Em1, TSS 2
Ensg Eng: EPtW 1,
CMDR Eng: EPtW 1, EPtS 2, EPtS 3, AUX to SIf 3

I may have screwed up on the Boff positions.... STO wiki is not liking me right now.
hope this helps
<-- Subscribed February 2010
The user formerly known as athenaX
current Tyrant of the 222nd Corsairs
Empire Veteran
# 7
08-29-2012, 04:30 AM
I've upgraded the set to 3 part Borg (Console, engines and deflector). Got the honor guard shield as well.
Currently I'm running AP Beams up front with a BioNeural Torp and AP Turrets at the rear.

Got 3 AP booster consoles as well. Staying in front of target is not an issue any longer as I reverse turn when possible and got a hang of the whale. Also I have the subspace jump console for oh-**** moments so I'm placed properly to deliver the oomph .

As for the old Jem hadar set, well they're now resting on the shuttle fighter
----------------------------------------------------------------------
We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

-Roach, when asked about Klingon extinction!
Career Officer
# 8
08-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
If you really love the pew pew pew of your turrets firing with CRF, you could go with a single cannon build, I used one in a galor to great effect. Because the turn rate is simular to the Galaxy X you could modify Hakaishin's set up to suit yourself. His excelent build is here.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=285491

For survivability you really want to run 3 part borg with KHG shields. I have found the Jem'hadar set to be rather worthless in comparison.

A simple build off the top of my head could look like this.

KHG shields, Borg Deflector/Engines

Weapns: Fore: 4 single cannons Aft: 4 turrets
Engi Consoles: borg/armor/BoP/Autocannon
Sci Consoles: Field Generators
Tac Consoes: whichever boost your energy type.

LTC tac: tac team, CRF1, APO
LT Tac: Tac team, CRF1
LT Sci: Haz Em1, TSS 2
Ensg Eng: EPtW 1,
CMDR Eng: EPtW 1, EPtS 2, EPtS 3, AUX to SIf 3

I may have screwed up on the Boff positions.... STO wiki is not liking me right now.
hope this helps
You could do it. But don't. I have a Bortas entirely set up with Polaron turrets, tac consoles, jem set, and scatter volley. It works. It's also just really for giggles.

If you can put dual cannons on the ship do so. If you do this, you put torpedoes. You use the two piece KHG for the extra torpedo output unless you absolutely cannot survive, and then u use 3 piece borg till u figure out what's going wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EjiY88hb2A&feature=plcp

Here's a vid with some dreads. Just to show I really like them too.

EDIT: At least dual. if you go with engineering boosts to damage like DEM, duals work the best. If you go for tactical boosts like CRF, dual heavies may be your preference. But at least use duals. Because you're GOING to use torpedoes. And if your not well, can't help you, have a ball, happy flying and all that.
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.