Career Officer
# 31
08-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo716maikai View Post
anyone remember the super quick leveling missions? tons of enemy ships and all you had to do was explode to kill them all? -grumbles about the reduction of number of targets that can be hit by things-
Now that was a REAL exploit. Sit there and blow up! Mega XP power leveling on crack, LOOT coming out every orifice, and Energy Credits ticking up like the national debt.

Not that I tried it more than a couple times
Lieutenant
# 32
08-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Assuming STO's foundry gets updated after NW launches, it sounds like they have solved this problem:

Quote:
Quests award XP based on how long the players spent playing them - a five-minute quest only gives a fraction of how much an hour-long quest will award.
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...om-pvp-to-text
Community Moderator
# 33
08-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1ckm1ster View Post
Assuming STO's foundry gets updated after NW launches, it sounds like they have solved this problem:

Quote:
Quests award XP based on how long the players spent playing them - a five-minute quest only gives a fraction of how much an hour-long quest will award.
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...om-pvp-to-text
Anybody besides me see the problem with that?

Time in-mission is still exploitable. Start a solo quest, set up a macro to send a keystroke every few minutes, and let the game churn during your downtime while you're asleep, at work, etc. It's simply the opposite of a clickthru mission that still requires no real activity.

Not that I'd ever do that.

EDIT: After reading the article, I am totally hyped wondering when they're going to put all of those features into STO's Foundry...
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek

Last edited by bluegeek; 08-28-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Community Moderator
# 34
08-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post

Time in-mission is still exploitable. Start a solo quest, set up a macro to send a keystroke every few minutes, and let the game churn during your downtime while you're asleep, at work, etc. It's simply the opposite of a clickthru mission that still requires no real activity.

EDIT: After reading the article, I am totally hyped wondering when they're going to put all of those features into STO's Foundry...
Yeah, but that kind of behavior is VERY detectable programmatically. So if they care to do so, they can deal with it.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Captain
# 35
08-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Quote:
I assume once NWN is launched - and hopefully it's launch will go better then GW2's - and established the Foundry team will be able to divert its attention to STO. And then we'll be able to see some of these new features.
Community Moderator
# 36
08-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
And, over a year later from that post, as Tobar posted, Cryptic doesn't seem to have much of an issue with it. There are even Dev posts on Twitter about some of the exploit Missions the Devs run just for the heck of it.
Ah yes, but it's important to note that Devs twitter accounts are their personal feeds normally rather than official Cryptic ones (in spite of some of their names) and should be taken as such.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Survivor of Romulus
# 37
08-28-2012, 03:00 PM
I believe they said you could earn that time-based XP only up to 4 hours a day or some such. So yeah you could make a bot for it, but after 4 hours you wouldn't get anything. People may still consider that worthwhile, but they run the risk of getting caught..

I like it, I think the current STO system is set up the wrong way around. There is a large portion of players who will only participate in a system if there is a tangible reward. It's certainly their right to do so. A lot of them are discerning, thoughtful people who would likely enjoy Foundry missions if they gave them a chance. But they don't, because they can get the reward in 2 seconds and move on to something else.

Consequently, a lot of people are missing out on some of the best content in the game because they can get the same reward in 2 seconds and don't have to put in the time, time they might enjoy more if they tried it.

The system needs to encourage the player to spend time in Foundry missions, rather than just complete them. Exploiters are going to exploit, no matter what you do. Minimize the potential exploits if you can, but ignore those types of players. What we need now is a system that draws in the players who want the shinies and are willing to put in the time if that's what it takes.

In any case, if someone was looking for a list of great Foundry missions, they need search no further than here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=286621
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Lieutenant
# 38
08-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
I assume once NWN is launched - and hopefully it's launch will go better then GW2's - and established the Foundry team will be able to divert its attention to STO. And then we'll be able to see some of these new features.
I've got a bad feeling that the foundry team wont be coming back to STO any time soon after NW's launch. I have a feeling they will be staying over there for another 3-6 months getting post launch issues worked out and making adjustments based on feedback.
Career Officer
# 39
08-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Quote:

You could do that. Of course, rewards could be set to max out at 30 minutes or 45 minutes.
Captain
# 40
08-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
You could do that. Of course, rewards could be set to max out at 30 minutes or 45 minutes.
Any such system penalized more advanced or speedy players. Letting Mr. Slowpoke get better rewards because it takes him twice as long to do something - or because he wants to fly around and look at asteroids for 10 minutes - won't make for a better game experience. It will simply make people spend more time AFK or doing other things while gaming, IMO.