Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lieutenant
# 21
08-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralkristov View Post
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

I think words like "obscene" and "disgusting" are a little overused around here. I Would hate to see what some people would think if they experienced some real would issues
Would you prefer that I use one of its synonyms like abominable or repulsive? Should I start throwing around words like antifun and "Inconvenient enough to make me not want to play the game at all"?

The only thing I am saying is that the price point is about 5 times higher than it should be. We can sit here and argue over the semantics of how that point is made all you want, but the issue is still there.
Captain
# 22
08-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozewa View Post
The typical fast food hamburger is about a pound of grease, fat, and carbs.
I'm not sure why you're quoting me about hamburgers, but OK.

Quote:
A respec token is sort of needed for end game play. Unless you're saying that free to player shouldn't have access to the end game. I'm not saying it shouldn't cost money, I'm not saying it shouldn't take time. And no, not really. I can earn energy credits in an ungated fashion, I can earn GPL quite steadily.
I don't know what you're talking about here. I have 8 or 9 Respecs on all of my characters and I don't even use an average of 1 per character. Most of my characters have only been Respected when Cryptic decides to change the Skill Tree - and they give me a free Respec when they do that.

Most players don't need to do Respecs - the Skill Tree is currently so simple and generic that it's almost pointless to change it, IMO.

Quote:
You need dilithium for just about every other thing in the game, including your fleet, weapons, armor, consoles, ships, some consumables, and I hear they're adding a kitchen sink to the dilithium store next patch. I would rather quit the game than have to spend my dilithium on zen in order to purchase a respec token for a single character.
I make between 500,000 and 600,000 Dilithium per month. Prior to Fleetbases I never used any of it and managed to amass over 15,000 Zen on my account. I don't know what you were using all your Dilithium for but I hope you weren't buying MK IV weapons or some-such with it - as you out-level anything below MK XII in a matter of hours.
Career Officer
# 23
08-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Quote:
The only thing I am saying is that the price point is about 5 times higher than it should be. We can sit here and argue over the semantics of how that point is made all you want, but the issue is still there.
If you think that the price that Cryptic is offering for a Respec is too high, THEN DON'T BUY IT!. Problem solved...

If you don't want to commit the funds to purchase the Respec, you always have the alternative of grinding for Dilithium to sell for Z-Points... Or even deleting an existing character and start a new one and work him up to VA (which some players claim can be done in 2 weeks time), but this time, given a proper Skill Point allocation that experience has taught you...

(And if you're saying this is too much work to do, then why are you complaining about the costs of a Respec ?!?!)
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-27-2012, 07:35 PM
I have no problem or qualms spending money, it's I feel like the token is sheer abuse. I have purchased VA ships, keys, EC cap increase, and extra Doff slots for my ONE tac character. I have also purchased a total of 2 re-spec tokens so far. Now I'm sure anyone with an LTS will laugh, but I'm quite sure that the average F2Per doesn't invest so much in STO.

However, Lets consider the following. There are many broken things in this game, they are constantly changing and fixing game play parameters in this game.

-The initial Crew loss from torpedo hits is no longer unresistable. (Aug 23 2012 patch)
-Updated Polarized Tetryon weapons so they proc as frequently as intended. (Aug 23 2012 patch)
-Increased the base turn rate of the Science Vessel, Science Vessel Refit, Science Vessel Retrofit, and Fleet Science Vessel Retrofit from 14 to 15. (Aug 23 2012 patch)

-Photonic Shockwave was updated to receive the correct bonus from Particle Generators.(Aug 16 2012 patch)
-The Cleanse portion of Hazard Emitters will now properly work on the Target of the power, instead of always applying to Self. (Aug 16 2012 patch)

Klingon Honor Guard Space Set - 2pc Bonus:
Corrected the bonus and associated tooltip for "Crew Regen Rate" to more accurately reflect an understandable figure.
Added an additional bonus that will slowly bring "Dead" crewmen back to a "Disabled" state, allowing them to be slowly regenerated to "Active" even during combat
This was the original intend of the 2pc bonus, but was not functioning correctly. (Aug 9 2012 patch)

So let's go back to the hamburger comment, McDonald's served the exact same hamburger for a very long time. They don't change something every week; not minisculey, and definitely not completely altered.

The Aug 9 patch also had massive changes for mines of all types. I found it overly verbose for this post.

You see my problem with the system isn't the fact that I don't respect changes they are making. I feel like they have an over-arching design document that they aren't executing correctly. They keep releasing changes and fixes gradually, instead of shocking the system and doing a massive clean up and balance at once. Most of my issues with the respecing process is simple. I don't want to continuously respec every few days or weeks just to keep up with the latest bug fixes. I'm sure if your Captain Kirking it through PvE or STFs you don't really care. However, the respec token is designed for people wanting to get every ounce out of their character all the time. However, every time we settle on a build something new comes out of the pipe.

Now, If I genuinely made a mistake on my build and need to pay the $5 to do so, no problem. However, even if my build was solid, the constant changes pokes giant holes into it. Go try to play PvP with out power insulators now. Your entire ship will be drained like you were trying to capture water in a strainer. Why?, Cryptic made some changes.
Lieutenant
# 25
08-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Most players don't need to do Respecs - the Skill Tree is currently so simple and generic that it's almost pointless to change it, IMO.
Alright, so "Most" would be what percentage? What do you mean by "Need"? How are you saying they should change the skill tree in order to make it less simple and generic?

Also, it [respec tokens] is not available for any currency that is directly obtainable in game. Unless you know of a question or dungeon or pvp arena that directly rewards zen. I don't have a problem spending my zen on one, The only thing I am saying is that for what it is it costs too much. I wouldn't mind getting busted down a few levels in order to replace those points elsewhere, I don't mind giving them money for respec tokens, what I do mind is having to give them THAT much money for a single respec token.

Furthermore, the skills trainer's skill UI is MUCH better than the character screen skill UI.

Also, since you say you have 8-9 tokens on each character, what would you think of respec tokens becoming a new RMT item?
Lieutenant
# 26
08-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Why?, Cryptic made some changes.
Doubly so now that they've committed to [at least] biweekly updates. I commend and applaud Cryptic on maintaining the new update schedule, but it really reinforces the point that they're making changes far too quickly and this is a great time to be playing the game because of that.

BUT the schema in which the $5 respec token price was devised for made changes at a far slower pace, and with all of these really high margin items floating around (master keys, doff packs, ships, fleet ship modules) it would only make sense for AT THE VERY LEAST respec tokens to become an RMT item.

It is what I'd like to see happen, but talking Cryptic into another form of RMT is sort of becoming a cliche at this point. They already have nearly everything else in the store an RMT item.
Captain
# 27
08-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Alright, so "Most" would be what percentage? What do you mean by "Need"? How are you saying they should change the skill tree in order to make it less simple and generic?
The Skill Tree used prior to the current one was very specific.

Quote:
Also, it [respec tokens] is not available for any currency that is directly obtainable in game.
You earn Dilithium. Dilithium can be freely exchanged for Zen. Zen can be used to buy Respec Tokens. IE, an in-game currency can be used to obtain Respec Tokens - or anything else in the game.

Last edited by thecosmic1; 08-27-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Captain
# 28
08-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Doubly so now that they've committed to [at least] biweekly updates. I commend and applaud Cryptic on maintaining the new update schedule, but it really reinforces the point that they're making changes far too quickly and this is a great time to be playing the game because of that.

BUT the schema in which the $5 respec token price was devised for made changes at a far slower pace, and with all of these really high margin items floating around (master keys, doff packs, ships, fleet ship modules) it would only make sense for AT THE VERY LEAST respec tokens to become an RMT item.

It is what I'd like to see happen, but talking Cryptic into another form of RMT is sort of becoming a cliche at this point. They already have nearly everything else in the store an RMT item.
I'm not sure who you're replying to here as the quote you have me saying I never actually said in that post.
Starfleet Veteran
# 29
08-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
I'm not sure who you're replying to here as the quote you have me saying I never actually said in that post.
He is hitting the quote button under the post and not the one above it. he is really trying to quote the post after you and reading to verify he has the right one
Captain
# 30
08-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
He is hitting the quote button under the post and not the one above it. he is really trying to quote the post after you and reading to verify he has the right one
The part that confuses me is why it states "thecosmic1" in the quote title when I never actually said those words he's quoting.