Starfleet Veteran
# 21
08-29-2012, 01:38 PM
For some reason, my camera zoom keeps resetting. To deal with this, I made two keybind files that let me quickly switch between using my mousewheel for camera zoom or throttle control with onscreen notification of the change. Clicking (as opposed to scrolling) the mousewheel makes the change.

File1.txt
Quote:
Camera Zoom
Wheelplus "AdjustCamDistance -15"
Wheelminus "AdjustCamDistance 15"

Middleclick "bind_load_file File2.txt $$ Playersay Switched to Mousewheel Throttle."
File2.txt
Quote:
Throttle Control
Wheelplus "throttleadjust .25"
Wheelminus "throttleadjust -.25"

Middleclick "bind_load_file File1.txt $$ Playersay Switched to Mousewheel Zoom."
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny111971 View Post
Great thread!

To the poster with the keybind file generator... I think that is fantastic... i learned keybinding by trial and error personally... but an application to read/tweak would be very useful to some (heck I'd probably use it myself). Does it read existing keybind files?
No it does not read existing keybind files. The reason for this was not to have any information, generated by the game, entering the application. The idea was to reduce the interaction. The application does allow you to save your built up keybind set and allows you to read it but those files have no association with Star Trek Software. Once you are done with your keybind build you can then generate a keybind file that is compatible with Star Trek Online Game Client.

It is quite easy to buildup your keybind set though. In under 5 minutes I can recreate all my keybinds, if I needed to, and save it to a reusable file. The application also has a set of predefined keybinds, which makes creating keybinds very quick and easy.

The PDF by Pug02 was used to develop the framework.

http://www.ifes.us/STOKeyBind/index.html

You will have to use the software at your own risk. We/I by no means provide any guarantee or support. If you press the Create Bind File button and nothing appears in the Client Chat Command box then the path for the file could not be generated. I plan to add a feature for the user to specify a custom output folder.

Something that might interest the Space pilots: Click on Key-Sets\Space\Distribute Shield Power to All Movement Keys. Then Create Bind File followed by Copy to Clipboard and then in the game press Control-V in the chat window. You will find Distribute Shield Power bound to your WASD keys.

The application will check for updates when ever it starts up.

It would be great if Cryptic built this feature into Star Trek Online instead.
Career Officer
# 23
08-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo716maikai View Post
saddly, some people think of this as "haxing" or "macroing" or other unrelated things.
It is macroing and u know it mai kai and tsi is well known for using automated ingame functions with a single button click and macro hax

there is no other explanation for all those increased phaser proc rates

I simply use seperate bindfiles for all my toons its not considered macroing then
Starfleet Veteran
# 24
08-30-2012, 09:08 AM
When a PvPer without the keybinds figths against a PvPer using the keybinds...well...the PvPer without the keybinds is a dead PvPer!
K D F - Killing Disadvantaged Feds
K D F - The evul way to play Sto

Adm. Marcus orders: Punish the evul Klinguns! Punish the evul HOBOs! And nuclearize Qo'nos once and for all!
Starfleet Veteran
# 25
08-30-2012, 09:12 AM
And when a PvPer with the keybinds fights against a PvPer using a single key macro...well...the PvPer with the keybinds is a dead PvPer!
K D F - Killing Disadvantaged Feds
K D F - The evul way to play Sto

Adm. Marcus orders: Punish the evul Klinguns! Punish the evul HOBOs! And nuclearize Qo'nos once and for all!
Starfleet Veteran
# 26
08-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marctraiderz View Post
It is macroing and u know it mai kai and tsi is well known for using automated ingame functions with a single button click and macro hax

there is no other explanation for all those increased phaser proc rates

I simply use seperate bindfiles for all my toons its not considered macroing then
MT just upped the ante and called. You just lost your bluff mai.
-------------------------

Future Capt Gecko II Hitlers take on PvP
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Guys im having some problems making work the assist command, i write it like this: /bin / ''Assist (name)'', what is wrong in this command?.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=88638226000&dateline=  1340395851
Captain
# 28
08-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks for this thread. I really need to get on top of this stuff. I've been single clicking all of my power icons 1 by 1 and it's just impossible to keep all powers active without down-time and be able to keep track of what is happening on the battlefield at the same time.
Commander
# 29
08-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the post Qaw. Been 2 1/2 years and I still haven't caught on to this stuff yet. Let the assisted pew commence!
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-30-2012, 08:37 PM
In space you are looking at 24 to 32 abilities that can be activated. This doesn't include shooting your weapons or flying your ship. And one of the most important things is timing your weapons and positioning your ship in the battle.

Here was my general progress with Space PvP:
  1. At first I was trying to manage everything with single key keybinds. I quite often died and would looked at my trays, and had about 10 abilities still available to me, that could have changed the battle.
  2. Next I created keybinds that required me to repeatedly press keys. I defined "modes" in which I operated. I basically used complete trays with sets of skills on them. I suddenly was surviving a lot more and could focus on flying my ship. I am really good at flying ships, which I learned from other games. I was now able to study buffs, that other players had on, and started timing my moves based on their moves.
  3. Next I started stripping my "mode" keys off a bit. As I was improving and learning more, I started creating much more leaner "mode" keys with separate action buttons. Space PvP and Ground PvP is a dance. At times looking weak can help and at other times pure tanking is the opposite trick. Keeping a mental track of all the player's key buffs can be a heavy work load, all on its own.
I am still learning a lot and making changes on a daily basis. But when I find people who are interested in dipping their toes into Space PvP: I usually give them this starting point. It isn't the bible on space pvp. It is a starting point: http://www.ifes.us/HowToKeybind/STO%...aintenance.pdf