Commander
# 1 Retrait token 3 years later
11-07-2012, 05:12 AM
Its now been nearly 3 years since players first asked for the a Retrait token to be put in the game and the response was the commonly used "Its something we would like to implement in the future."

Those of you who are paying attention may recognise that quote from several places including the KDF faction boards and PVP boards.

I would like to know why we still dont have this after 3 years? I can't believe PWE is passing up hundreds of thousands of zen worth of sales they could easily get just by putting this token into the zen store at 1000 zen.

Is it a programming issue?

My fleet suspects the reason this has never been implemented is because PWE would rather we reroll a new character and spend another few years on it than change one we already have. In the past this would have been viable. However since the addition of so much content that is CHARACTER SPECIFIC people will simply not bother rerolling. So no sales for PWE.

If you were to reroll a character your new toon would start from scratch with:

No Accolades.
No Duty Officers.
No Duty Officer CXP.
No Fleet Credits.
and of course no EC, Gear, Fleet ship etc.

For me the loss of duty officer cxp and 3/4 of a million fleet credits was enough to make me not reroll. I guess the rest of my alt slots will go into farming dilithium / fleet marks.

Please get around to implementing the Retrait Token sooner rather than later. Stick it in the store for 1000 zen and sell hundreds if not thousands of them.

Not being rude but you owe us this. You overhauled the skill tree completely so that all the traits we chose when we made our characters years ago either changed completely or lost effectivness. Any other game that did that to its players would have offered a one off free retrait token anyway.
Captain
# 2
11-07-2012, 05:22 AM
I support this ! Race and trait change tokens for everyone ! This should happen when they changed the skill tree and changed some of the traits. Almost every serious MMO offers this service. Let's skip some grind content for a month and program this!
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
11-07-2012, 06:00 AM
Me, I'd love to be able to get retrait and especially reclass tokens, along with a couple of respecies ones if they ever made Liberated Borg able to be more species than just humans and klingons. I have too much time and story invested into my characters to "just" reroll them.
Commander
# 4
11-07-2012, 07:40 AM
If you rerolled, you'd also lose all your stuff that was bound to that character, including any lockbox/fleet ships. Those are some pricey things to throw away...especially the former.
Republic Veteran
# 5
11-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Retrait NOW!

I don't believe in a No-Win Scenario ... beat it with 21 chars
Best STFs: ISE 13:51 | CSE 13:52 | NWS 6:46 | Solo-ISE: 7:22
Visit the German STO forum: www.sto-center.de/forum
Lt. Commander
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
11-07-2012, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerkorhil View Post
Its now been nearly 3 years since players first asked for the a Retrait token to be put in the game and the response was the commonly used "Its something we would like to implement in the future. All the while thinking, who cares what they want."

Those of you who are paying attention may recognise that quote from several places including the KDF faction boards and PVP boards.

I would like to know why we still dont have this after 3 years? I can't believe PWE is passing up hundreds of thousands of zen worth of sales they could easily get just by putting this token into the zen store at 1000 zen.

Is it a programming issue? Very much doubt it. They just want us to reroll and waste our time and money on another character.

My fleet suspects the reason this has never been implemented is because PWE would rather we reroll a new character and spend another few years on it than change one we already have. In the past this would have been viable. However since the addition of so much content that is CHARACTER SPECIFIC people will simply not bother rerolling. So no sales for PWE.

If you were to reroll a character your new toon would start from scratch with:

No Accolades.
No Duty Officers.
No Duty Officer CXP.
No Fleet Credits.
and of course no EC, Gear, Fleet ship etc.
Honestly, I think there are those over "There" who would love nothing more that to take it all away from us even on our current character(s), I only have 1. Most devs don't like accolade hunters anyways.

For me the loss of duty officer cxp and 3/4 of a million fleet credits was enough to make me not reroll. I guess the rest of my alt slots will go into farming dilithium / fleet marks.

Please get around to implementing the Retrait Token sooner rather than later. Stick it in the store for 1000 zen and sell hundreds if not thousands of them. I could dig that.

Not being rude but you owe us this. You overhauled the skill tree completely so that all the traits we chose when we made our characters years ago either changed completely or lost effectivness. Any other game that did that to its players would have offered a one off free retrait token anyway. You're not being rude. It should have happened long ago, no excuses.
My 2 cents
Formerly: Ally_of_the_Force/Now: A Ticked Off Customer
Member Since 10-2009/Murdered 6-2012
NO TO ARC!!!
4 Year Veteran
Career Officer
# 8
11-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerkorhil View Post

Is it a programming issue?
PWE in general dislikes rerolls and discouraged Cryptic from selling species unlocks. They prefer creating investment in existing characters.

It is a programming issue.

The way Cryptic is setup as I understand it is that the various game teams are, effectively, mod teams for the Cryptic engine. They design content and art with mod tools and a lot of command line console commands and do basic database management.

They are not programmers.

Cryptic has a core team of programmers but none assigned to STO OR Champions OR Neverwinter. These programmers get rationed out for extreme bug fixes and feature upgrades. (And Neverwinter and the other in-development titles do get the bulk of that budget because they have bigger operating budgets, which WILL drop off when they launch.)

So time spent fixing the Voldemort bug or Fleet Starbases is time that can't be spent coding respec tokens. This would be true, of course, even if programmers existed on individual teams but the individual teams don't even necessarily have fulltime programmer access.

So the features that involve coding may take longer, years even, whereas features that involve art or numbers on a spreadsheet will get done much faster, relatively.

That's also something that should be taken into account on requests for more factions as Cryptic's engine wasn't really even intended for two and hacking in tricks to have two factions took programmer time... and I think it would take tremendous effort to have three coded in a way that doesn't make at least two of the three friendly to one another.
Career Officer
# 9
11-07-2012, 09:40 AM
So, in short, if it was a STO systems dev manually handling character conversions, they could probably do that in a few weeks because it would involve manual database changes.

That would cost a LOT and would mean a high price.

If you want a stable and automated way to do that automatically, it means doing it when there aren't high priority bugs that take precedence.
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
11-07-2012, 10:03 AM
/signed. This is a well overdue addition to the game and as the OP stated, most MMO's offer this service by default.

I would also LOVE to see a paid option to change your species. I started a Trill when STO came out and have lots of goodies on her, only thing is I really want it to be a joined Trill but that option wasn't available when I created her. I would happily pay a decent sum of Zen for this!