Republic Veteran
# 31
10-28-2012, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracounguis View Post
You might have confused the rules...
Even numbered Trek movies are good.
Odd numbered versions of Windows are good.
Oh? Lets see... Windows 1 and 2 were hardly notable. Windows 3.x was pretty good. Windows 4.x (most people know of Windows 4 as Windows 9x) was even better, but it died there.

Windows NT 4 came out around the same time as Windows 4, but it was not the same operating system, completely different kernel and the API was merely compatible.

Then Windows NT 5 came out in 2000. NT 5 series includes Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003. Where Windows 2000 is NT 5.0, XP was actually NT 5.1

Windows NT 6 came out a number of years ago. It was known as Windows Vista. Vista was not well received.

Windows 7 is actually not truly a 7. It's Windows NT 6.1. Frankly, Microsoft's referring to NT 6.1 as 7 is terribly misleading to the general public. Windows 7 is not alone is sharing the version of NT 6.1, Windows Server 2008 R2 also has the designation of NT 6.1. Windows 7's full original release version number was NT 6.1.7600. Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is listed as NT 6.1.7601

Windows 8 is NT 6.2, so it's technically still a 6, not an 8. Windows 8's final public release is 6.2.9200. Just like Windows 7 shares it's NT version number with a Windows Server version, Windows NT 6.2 also includes Windows Server 2012.

So, if odd numbered Windows are good, only Windows 1, 3 and Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 were ever any good.
Career Officer
# 32
10-28-2012, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkirkfan View Post
Win 8, huh? You mean, no more of Win 7's sudden unwanted upgrade shutdowns when you're in the middle of something...?

How will I cope...?
Yeah - I HATE when it does that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.
Rihannsu
# 33
10-28-2012, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshicus View Post
I installed Windows 8 on the 26th (absolutely loving it so far!) and haven't had any problems with STO.

Wholes in textures etc. sounds like a graphics card and or graphics driver issue. Have you installed the latest drivers for your card?

Common complaint among those who haven't tried it yet. Give it a go - the new start screen is great for just diving in to the one application you want to run while you never get beholden to it. I spend 99% of my time on my PC on the desktop. The multi-monitor support is much better now and the new method of having a "metro" application running half/quarter screen is pretty nifty - I can run STO in full-screen mode within one frame while still having space reserved for IE on the right side.

You can buy Win 8 for ?25 still (digital download, upgrade from Win 7/Vista) so seems silly not to!
Windows 8.. y u no start menu and aero glass?

I will not touch 8, I like my start menu and Aero Glass just fine.
Captain
# 34
10-28-2012, 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucianazeta View Post
Windows 8.. y u no start menu and aero glass?

I will not touch 8, I like my start menu and Aero Glass just fine.
You can use a third party tool to bring back the old Start Menu if you really want it, though to be fair it took me hardly any time at all to get used to life with the Start Screen instead.

I mean 90% of actual user data indicated that people were using the Start Menu to find files by typing a couple of characters from the file name. That functionality is exactly the same on the Start Screen. Most people don't actually use the Start Menu to launch programs - they use desktop shortcuts or pinned applications in the task bar. So ditching the Start Menu isn't really that big a deal.

But again you can install a perfect replica if you really want it.

Aero glass? I can see why some people might prefer the look, but I honestly don't think the new theme is that much different from it.
Career Officer
# 35
10-28-2012, 05:28 AM
Windows 8 - Perfect for Tablets, Perfect for Phones

Windows 8 - NOT ideal for Desktops

That's the way I see it, stick to Win7 on Desktop, and if you are going to use a Tablet then use Win8, or on a phone as well. It best suites tablets/phones, it is not suited for desktops. Why anyone would install this on a desktop is beyond me.

Also, since Win8 is new, expect video card drivers to be immature for a time. It takes time to build mature drivers for a new OS, new issues come up, bugs and problems that have to be figured out and fixed. So, if you are an early adopter of Win8 on the desktop, expect driver issues, I'd give it several months to half a year, or until the first service pack.

Like Always, I think it won't be till Win9 that MS "gets it right" with the new OS.

I'm sticking to Win7 on my desktop until Win9 comes out. Win8 offers me nothing new I can't do on Win7. Since DX12 will also be released on Win7, I'm all good. Now if I get a tablet (i'm interested in MS Surface) then I'll get Win8 on that tablet.
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Republic Veteran
# 36
10-28-2012, 05:42 AM
I don't mind Windows 8 myself. But then, I have a touch screen. A 22 inch 16:9 1920x1080p multi touch screen. It's kind of low end as multi-touch screens go, however. It only supports two touches. It does so through a set of cameras in the corners of the monitor. The cameras look for things blocking their view and triangulate their position, transmitting them as touches to Windows. Of course, like I said, this limits it to two touches. However, Windows8 doesn't really use more than two touches for all the important gestures. BTW, right clicking is easy on Windows7 with a touch screen, just touch where you want to right click and then tap the screen with a second finger and BAM! Right Click. It was so intuitive for me that without reading that it was possible to do that, I simply did it because it made sense and it worked.

Windows 7 also supports touch screen too, and in-fact it was one of the points they used to try to market it in Japan. However, it's not as specialized.

This is a wallpaper for the Japanese version of Windows7. http://www.blankmind.org/wp-content/...llpaper-11.jpg In it, Windows 7's official mascot (i.e. the official OS-tan for Windows 7), Madobe Nanami (窓辺ななみ)using the pinch gesture for touch screens.

The thing is, I can see why people don't like it. It's a huge change. When I was 8 years old and noticed that the older people get, the more resistant changes in tech or culture. I made a vow to never let myself be resistant to changes in tech or culture. I'm 32 now and still hold myself to that vow.

I encourage others to embrace change. 2 years ago I anticipated a shift to touch screens, so I bought my monitor for only $225, so large, multi-touch monitors are actually not much more pricey than non-touch LCDs. Infact, this monitor was medium priced, I found non-touch monitors of the same size for $100 more. Get with the program, people. It's the age of touch. Embrace it, it's not that bad, and infact it's actually quite fun. For your next computer or monitor purchase, at least look into touch screens.

Last edited by zenzenarimasen; 10-28-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Rihannsu
# 37
10-28-2012, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenzenarimasen View Post
I don't mind Windows 8 myself. But then, I have a touch screen. A 22 inch 16:9 1920x1080p multi touch screen. It's kind of low end as multi-touch screens go, however. It only supports two touches. It does so through a set of cameras in the corners of the monitor. The cameras look for things blocking their view and triangulate their position, transmitting them as touches to Windows. Of course, like I said, this limits it to two touches. However, Windows8 doesn't really use more than two touches for all the important gestures.

Windows 7 also supports touch screen too, and in-fact it was one of the points they used to try to market it in Japan. However, it's not as specialized.

This is a wallpaper for the Japanese version of Windows7. http://www.blankmind.org/wp-content/...llpaper-11.jpg In it, Windows 7's official mascot (i.e. the official OS-tan for Windows 7), Madobe Nanami (窓辺ななみ)using the pinch gesture for touch screens.

The thing is, I can see why people don't like it. It's a huge change. When I was 8 years old and noticed that the older people get, the more resistant changes in tech or culture. I made a vow to never let myself be resistant to changes in tech or culture. I'm 32 now and still hold myself to that vow.

I encourage others to embrace change. 2 years ago I anticipated a shift to touch screens, so I bought my monitor for only $225, so large, multi-touch monitors are actually not much more pricey than non-touch LCDs. Infact, this monitor was medium priced, I found non-touch monitors of the same size for $100 more. Get with the program, people. It's the age of touch. Embrace it, it's not that bad, and infact it's actually quite fun. For your next computer or monitor purchase, at least look into touch screens.
Lol, as expected, the Japanese use an anime girl for such a thing.
Captain
# 38
10-28-2012, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
Windows 8 - Perfect for Tablets, Perfect for Phones

Windows 8 - NOT ideal for Desktops
This just isn't true. I'm using it on my desktop and it's generally faster for me to do the same things I used to do on Windows 7. Faster OS, cool features, great functionality (the new Task Manager alone is a life-saver).

Quote:
Also, since Win8 is new, expect video card drivers to be immature for a time. It takes time to build mature drivers for a new OS, new issues come up, bugs and problems that have to be figured out and fixed. So, if you are an early adopter of Win8 on the desktop, expect driver issues, I'd give it several months to half a year, or until the first service pack.
Again, this isn't true. Windows 8 drivers ARE mature. I've not heard of any problems on this front. The drivers for my AMD 7850 worked (and updated to the lastest) perfectly on the installation.

Windows 8 might have only been released on Friday, but a lot of us have been using it for over half a year now. The system is stable (more than Win 7, which was rock solid), fast and responsive. I really think you need to try it.
Republic Veteran
# 39
10-28-2012, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshicus View Post
This just isn't true. I'm using it on my desktop and it's generally faster for me to do the same things I used to do on Windows 7. Faster OS, cool features, great functionality (the new Task Manager alone is a life-saver).

Again, this isn't true. Windows 8 drivers ARE mature. I've not heard of any problems on this front. The drivers for my AMD 7850 worked (and updated to the lastest) perfectly on the installation.

Windows 8 might have only been released on Friday, but a lot of us have been using it for over half a year now. The system is stable (more than Win 7, which was rock solid), fast and responsive. I really think you need to try it.
I've never had a full copy of Windows 8, just the developer and consumer previews. I was able to use Windows 7 drivers on it. The OS complained that they weren't certified for 8, but they worked just fine. This is because Windows 8 is Windows NT 6.2 where as Windows 7 is NT 6.1, as I described in a previous post.
Lieutenant
# 40
10-28-2012, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenzenarimasen View Post
So, if odd numbered Windows are good, only Windows 1, 3 and Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 were ever any good.

Nothing wrong with that statement. Server2003 with Direct X added is still the best Windows ever made. Vista is ****e, 7 is ****e, 8 is ****e.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h478/LordDorianBlackheart/Sig500x.png
Slaan | Rin | Rin Tsaris | Sanguinara | Warmaster | Ryn