Captain
# 81
03-28-2013, 06:32 AM
I tried Win 8 in beta and deleted it since they turned the 'start button' into a floating ghost icon.

You never knew where or when it would appear on your taskbar and clicking on it made it disappear.
Career Officer
# 82
03-28-2013, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliban149 View Post
Windows 8 looks like the biggest pile of excrement Microsoft have released since Windows ME, whose primary purpose appears to be to turn my PC into some kind of giant mobile phone with "social media" integrated into everything

Total non-issue for me, I'll be sticking with 7.
You have also the totally wrong idea about what windows 8 is and isn't. Compared to windows 7 programs load and shut down faster, the operating system is more stable than windows 7. For a new pc user windows 8 is also more straight forward and easier to learn than a traditional windows environment. Windows 8 also once again supports hardware accelerated sound.

As far as social media integration guess what your one of the few that doesn't care, most people check facebook on there computer, that's what the majority of users are doing these days.

I am an IT tech and I use Windows 8 on my own personal computer, I bought Start8 for a start menu, but classic shell is a free alternative, though honestly I find myself using it very little these days. Anything you use can be pinned on the desktop or on the start screen for easy access. The new sidebar allows easy access to the most commonly used system settings and anyone that has an business tweaking with advanced settings can also get to any of there programs with Windows Key+R which is how we have always done it anyway.

Overall Windows 8 is step forward in performance and stability from windows 7, with improved security and yes integration, which is a big thing, but unless you work in this field you have no idea why.
Career Officer
# 83 Necro Thread
03-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Just pointing, The last posted dated before pwecangetlost's post, is 2-15-2013.
That makes this thread well over 30 days old and this now a zombie/necro post. (reviving a thread past 30 days is against the forums rules)
Also, this thread was started when Win8 just hit beta
(around august 2012) arguing anything about it at this point is more or less mute.

::loads shotgun and points it at zombie thread::
Career Officer
# 84
03-28-2013, 10:28 AM
I'm still using WIN 7 & my 55" TV as my monitor...

Nope haven't grown longer arms.

<holds Golden Zombie Shovel, at the ready>

DaveyNY - STO Forum Minion since February - 2009
................Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just Minions who have Played the Game for the last 4.75 years.
Career Officer
# 85
05-21-2013, 02:21 PM
You know, most of this wouldn't be an issue if STO would work on a Mac.

~Plumeyer
Ensign
# 86 windows 8 works fine
05-17-2014, 02:54 AM
windows 8 works fine for STO. you just have to run it as an administrator. I had lots of problems with it too after I bought a win8 laptop, but as soon as I edited my quick launch icon properties to run it as an admin everything worked out fine. I am currently running it under win 8.1

I just wish there was more story driven content in the game instead of all this reputation driven crap, but that is another story for another thread.
Captain
# 87
05-17-2014, 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimm69 View Post
windows 8 works fine for STO. you just have to run it as an administrator. I had lots of problems with it too after I bought a win8 laptop, but as soon as I edited my quick launch icon properties to run it as an admin everything worked out fine. I am currently running it under win 8.1

I just wish there was more story driven content in the game instead of all this reputation driven crap, but that is another story for another thread.
Why did you post in a thread that had been dead and buried for a year?
Empire Veteran
# 88
05-17-2014, 03:49 AM
Holy necro.
toDuj 'oS rol.
Captain
# 89
05-17-2014, 04:12 AM
Kill it with fire!!!!!
Captain
# 90
05-17-2014, 05:24 AM
I run sto on two windows 8.1 rigs with no issues

But this is the old launcher not the arc rubbish so don't know if there are any issues running it on 8.1 with arc.
. . . . . . . . Insert witty content. . . . . .

Star Trek Online : Delta Rising - not the best but it's not that bad STOP with the pitch forks as they come out every season or update it's boring seeing it on every page, thread and all mediums out there. .