Survivor of Remus
# 61
08-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam73 View Post
and you don't gain any support or make anyone want to listen to your ideas when you pop up acting like the majority of the players (in case you hadn't heard, most people don't PvP in STO - maybe you noticed how long it takes to pop a queue?) are idiots and only PvPers have anything constructive to add to any buff/nerf conversation.

Guess the majority of us non-pro types still aren't worthy of your awesome l33tn3ss.
No However. The reason no one pvps is because no one listens to them. PvErs yell for a nerf it happens withen the month pvper asks for a nerf, 6 months later a dev asks "whats that again?"

The reason pvp is the minority. Yes, Why? Because a pver does it, screams HAXXOR when they get instakilled because they dont know what to do, They never pvp again and tell everyone how stupid it is. Now only a minority of players do Pvp. Skills get balanced off, pvp will become more fun. Would a pver complain that their beam overload does 100k Damage? No. Because it isnt hurting anyone. if a skill is rediculusly overpowered and it isnt being used agaisnt PvErs there are little complaints. Would u complain if u could instakill an NPC? No. Would u complain if you get instakilled? Yes.
Point? PvPers know what to complain about for good reason.
Career Officer
# 62
08-30-2012, 01:07 AM
Guess what? Maybe not all players don't do PvP because they don't like to be instakilled: some don't PvP because they don't find it that fun.
And I'm not talking of STO's PvP, I'm talking of *ANY* PvP.

Someone (count me among those) may think that playing *against* other players isn't as fun as playing *with* other players, and no matter how you see it, in a PvP match, you have to fight against others...
Maybe my bad opinion on PvP comes from some awful experiences with PvP I played before STO, but it's hard to overcome it.

I don't know... Is it really fun to play against people that can get angry at you because you killed them?
Even PvErs have to face the chance to find people that get angry at them, even if they are cooperating against a common adversary (that is not going to get angry because was beaten... at least, until now, Armek never complained )... having to face the chance to be yelled by your team mates *and* by the adversaries can be a little bit too much?

I'm not against the PvP community as a whole (I'm forcing myself to try to PvP more: I'm sure the STO's PvP community is full of kind and caring people that have fun blowing things up never getting angry) but it's so hard to overcome the awkward feeling (well... that little fear...) I get everytime I get on the PvP queues' screen... that's why I usually only PvP with my friends in closed challeges: I know for sure that they will not get angry at me if I kill them (and I'm sure I'll not getting angry with them if I get killed) and, being us all at the same experience level with PvP, we have fun with a balanced match... but with strangers...

Get this, sum up the fact that my main toon is a Sci captain on a Sci ship and you get why I had a poor score in the *NINE* PvP matches I played in the last *SIX* months.

Oh, and by the way, the "PvPers know it all" attitude is not getting me any nearer a PvP's queue... sorry but I cannot avoid to find it a little too arrogant and, being you not the first PvPer I see with that attitute, the "loving and caring PvPers' community" seems... well...
I'll go to the PvP's forum section to get a refreshing view of the PvPers (no, really, people there are awesome: passionate and vocal - sometimes a little too much to endure - but great! no sarcasm intended!)

Last edited by astraz1701; 08-30-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 63
08-30-2012, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brackynews View Post
Because you can now buy an unlimited amount of DOFFs on demand for readily available Fleet Credits (exploitable), and the value of Zen on the dilithium exchange continues to crash (bad for business).
How can it be bad for PWE when more Zen buys less dilithium? I'd think Cryptic's Chinese masters would be quite pleased with this.
Career Officer
# 64
08-30-2012, 04:31 AM
Arg, Thanks to yet again kill a way how I get my dilithium...
Career Officer
# 65
08-30-2012, 09:19 AM
cryptic screws us yet again nothing new just jerky if you ask me
Captain
# 66
08-30-2012, 10:42 AM
There are better ways for you to get your dilithium, thanks PW for fixing your mistake from the last patch and allowing us to use fleet doffs for starbase projects.
Starfleet Veteran
# 67
08-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenmirror2012 View Post
No However. The reason no one pvps is because no one listens to them. PvErs yell for a nerf it happens withen the month pvper asks for a nerf, 6 months later a dev asks "whats that again?"

The reason pvp is the minority. Yes, Why? Because a pver does it, screams HAXXOR when they get instakilled because they dont know what to do, They never pvp again and tell everyone how stupid it is. Now only a minority of players do Pvp. Skills get balanced off, pvp will become more fun. Would a pver complain that their beam overload does 100k Damage? No. Because it isnt hurting anyone. if a skill is rediculusly overpowered and it isnt being used agaisnt PvErs there are little complaints. Would u complain if u could instakill an NPC? No. Would u complain if you get instakilled? Yes.
Point? PvPers know what to complain about for good reason.
Sigh.

You just don't get it.

And I don't feel like finding yet another way to explain it.
Career Officer
# 68
08-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by john98837 View Post
There are better ways for you to get your dilithium, thanks PW for fixing your mistake from the last patch and allowing us to use fleet doffs for starbase projects.
Better is a relative term and you really should replace it with other. In all truth however, there really are very limited ways to obtain dilithium and none of those ways are properly scaled for the time investment. The premier way to earn dilithium is of course the STFs, and for many those have been long played out. The next best way is to run all of your dailies. Again, how stale is that content?

People who did enjoy the DOFF system as their major gameplay were honestly playing the game how they wanted and achieving their goals. Now the whole DOFFs for Dilithium issue did not become a problem until Cryptic did two things, added the DOFF grinder for free and took the easy way out for Fleet DOFFs.

Again, I stress the following points, you can only introduce 8-9k of dilithium per day per toon, there is a maximum cap of refined dilithium you can have, and there is a maximum cap of unrefined dilithium you can have. Honestly, I would watch out for an account limit on dilithium refinement. So the big question is, it does not matter? If I bought 1,000 DOFFs from the fleet system and dismissed them I would have gotten 75,000 dilithium. That would take me 10 days to refine.

I gave the game 3-4 hours a night and it was pretty much spent, you guessed, it trying to reach my dilithium cap across my 6 toons. With that pressure alleviated, in those nine other days I could have played many other aspects of the game. I could have spent a few hours on each toon and took my time and enjoyed myself with the reprieve from the dil grind. I could have played STO the way I wanted to, but instead I am forced to play the way the Devs want us to - STFs-Dailies-Fleet Events. Rinse and repeat day in and day out...

Look, I think I have pretty much woken up. Nickel and diming the playerbase is the new schema for this game and I am out. I just would really like to see some of that money re-invested in the game and some long-standing issues addressed. It is obvious by now they have no intentions of fleshing out the KDF, crafting is likely to be all it is going to be, exploration will remain a fish bowl, PvP will also be all it is going to be if not cut, and the 700-day Android BOFF variants will never see the light of day. Someday the majority of the playerbase will realize that they are only paying us lip service, coming soon, we have plans for that etc...and the most ardent of STO supporters will waiver, then maybe Cryptic will wake up. Unfortunately for MMOs that usually comes too little too late.
Career Officer
# 69
08-31-2012, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodoreshrvk View Post
I gave the game 3-4 hours a night and it was pretty much spent, you guessed, it trying to reach my dilithium cap across my 6 toons. With that pressure alleviated, in those nine other days I could have played many other aspects of the game. I could have spent a few hours on each toon and took my time and enjoyed myself with the reprieve from the dil grind. I could have played STO the way I wanted to, but instead I am forced to play the way the Devs want us to - STFs-Dailies-Fleet Events. Rinse and repeat day in and day out...
Sorry, but I have to ask: have you any quote of a Dev saying the you *MUST* reach you Dil Cap everyday?
I tryed to remember when a Dev said that thing, but I cannot, so where does it come from the idea that we really *NEED* to grind Dil as a full time job?

I play this game the way I want to play it: I use dil to contribute to my Fleet's projects when I have some, and if I feel in the mood for some dil grinding (to replenish my dil's savings) I go out there and pick the ways to get it that I like the most (ground STFs, Academy event, Mirror event and Foundry missions mainly).
When my Doffs score a Crit and I get some extra dil I'm happy, but when they fail I don't worry... (well, at least, I don't worry as long as they don't get to spend some time in the sickbay... I feel sorry for them )
Any now and then I even check the Dilithium Exchange and, if I feel confortable with the prices I see, I buy some Zen, to save them to use the next time I'll see something that I want to get in the C-Store...
But I never (NEVER!) tried to get intentionally to the refine cap (not to mention any other cap) for more that three days in a row.
And I never (NEVER!!!) tried to get as much dil I could dismissing my DOffs.

Come on, are you really complaining because they pulled down a possible (well, seeing what you guys are saying, I should call it a sure) way to exploit the whole Dilithium economy?

Play this game a little bit more casually and enjoying it doing *all the time* what you like!
After all, you will not get any RL reward for getting to 1.000.000 dil... or I missed something?
Career Officer
# 70
08-31-2012, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by astraz1701 View Post
Come on, are you really complaining because they pulled down a possible (well, seeing what you guys are saying, I should call it a sure) way to exploit the whole Dilithium economy?

Play this game a little bit more casually and enjoying it doing *all the time* what you like!
After all, you will not get any RL reward for getting to 1.000.000 dil... or I missed something?
I am complaining because there was no issue with the system the way it was before the DOFF grinder and current access to Fleet DOFFs. Because those two things were implemented improperly, we are now in this situation. If people dismissing handfulls of DOFFs before was an exploit, then why is capping your dilithium in an hour and a half doing STFs not? It does not make logical or rational sense. I have already stated elsewhere how can you conceivably exploit a system that is buffered to such a thing, daily refinement limit, maximum cap on amounts, etc...

I did play the game the way I wanted, I mainly used the DOFF system and supplemented my activity some times with other things because it was what I enjoyed. However, I am one that does not enjoy being funneled into the repattive play of limited content. There are people who love the STFs and fine they should be able to achieve their goals in game that way, there are people who love DOFFing, PvP, Crafting, Exploration, Fleet Actions, Fleet Events, Foundry Missions etc... All of those things should be viable avenues for people to achieve their goals, but the content and capitalization of those systems is so limited across the board, they simply get stale. I honestly hoped there would be additional Fleet Events released between Season 6 and 7 to keep things fresh but this does not look like the case.

I have no issued grinding, but I prefer more diversity in games. STO lacks this diversity after 2.5+ years of being on the market. The lack of this diversity is omnipresent on these forums and is in every thread. What people seem to all be saying in unison is one take home message:

Release fully fleshed out systems with abundant supported content, not fleshed out systems with minimial content that is hardly supported in the future.

This is just my opinion here but the whole issue has caused me to think, "Yeah why the heck am I doing all this?" What is the reason for making my character better? Why should I strive for better gear? What do I do at level cap when I have already done the limited amount of content so many times I am on auto-pilot for it? Where are the new challenges that the new gear will help me? Because of those questions, STO can not be the primary game for me and provide enjoyment.

Last edited by commodoreshrvk; 08-31-2012 at 04:15 PM.