Ensign
# 1 Odyssey Dreadnought
08-28-2012, 10:15 PM
I was recently reading a thread that talked about pairing Aegis with the Dreadnought, and I was happy to see that some peeps are still trying to make the dreadnought work (although it would seem mostly unsuccessful).

I was wondering if the idea has been brought up of a Odyssey Dreadnought. I guess, the modern version of the Galaxy Refit Dreadnought.

As much as I love my old classic Galaxy refit, I find it lacking power, severely in most cases, when playing PvE, and especially PvP. The Odyssey is a wiz when it comes to that, as I have the 3 pack, thus enhanced engineering...etc.

I am curious to know if Cryptic... my mistake, if PWE is planning on releasing a new dreadnought. The Jupiter idea seemed to have been thrown out an airlock, but perhaps upgrading (rather, modifying) the current flagship would be a possibility.

Id suggest simply slapping a 3rd nacelle on (by slapping, I mean carefully placing ), drop its turn rate a bit, increase warp core power by a chunk (3rd nacelle and all), fancy up the saucer with cannon visuals (thus cannon ability), add a cloak to the ship (hopefully a battle cloak, perhaps with help from a tier 5 fleet starbase? [a cool idea, rly]) And to top it all off, maybe improve the Aquarius somehow or add a hangar bay or 2... perhaps the last 2 ideas are a bit much, or for a different model, but I'd love to be able to "revive" the age-old dreadnought.

I'm hoping for comments, and hoping more so for this to be a possibility, maybe even turnned into a special ship-upgrade made available by an advanced fleet starbase dock or something.

[P.S., back on the Cryptic STO forums, I am a senior officer... idk why my rank has not transfered over to PWE]
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
08-28-2012, 10:24 PM
I doubt we will see a cloak on any furtue ships since the only 2 fed ships that get it are the ones that had it in the shows.

That said the oddy can already out tac and out turn a dread the only thing it can't do is mount cannons or have a lance.

But really the lance is highly situational and cannons would only be effective with saucer sep.

That said i would like to see dreadnaughts make it into the game as a ship type for both factions maybe with some different types of heavy weapons just to make it interesting.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
08-29-2012, 06:49 AM
If i recall correctly. odyssey class npcs are classified as dreadnoughts already. meaning it IS a dreadnought class ship, just not the same as the Gal-x class, which is a different. whereas the Gal-x is classed dreadnought through sheer firepower, whereas the odyssey takes a beating.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Personally, I know that PWE knows that more money in their case = more mass. If theres a larger ship out there, people will buy it. That was the case when the oddyssey came out, and it was the largest ship in the federation's fleet. You saw those things EVERYWHERE. You still see them everywhere. It captures that classic feel without feeling old or underpowered at all.

That said, I doubt we're going too see another triple barrel ship. The atrox, and in turn the other carriers are slow AS IS. Even the oddy is slow. We WILL likely see more ships come out similar in size. I really hope the next one is a typhoon class, or maybe, just maybe, another triple barrel ship, those really do have some cool designs.

There was also an idea a friend of mine tossed out that mentioned a quad nacelle excelsior. That might look awesome as well, it already looks sick with the breen set mounted, useing all four impulse engines for the supercooled engine mounts.

As for the stats: leave the balancing to the devs. If we players had our way, there would be no balancing, just one massive cold war, trying to design the best ship.
Captain
# 5
08-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarek01 View Post
I was recently reading a thread that talked about pairing Aegis with the Dreadnought, and I was happy to see that some peeps are still trying to make the dreadnought work (although it would seem mostly unsuccessful).

I was wondering if the idea has been brought up of a Odyssey Dreadnought. I guess, the modern version of the Galaxy Refit Dreadnought.

As much as I love my old classic Galaxy refit, I find it lacking power, severely in most cases, when playing PvE, and especially PvP. The Odyssey is a wiz when it comes to that, as I have the 3 pack, thus enhanced engineering...etc.

I am curious to know if Cryptic... my mistake, if PWE is planning on releasing a new dreadnought. The Jupiter idea seemed to have been thrown out an airlock, but perhaps upgrading (rather, modifying) the current flagship would be a possibility.

Id suggest simply slapping a 3rd nacelle on (by slapping, I mean carefully placing ), drop its turn rate a bit, increase warp core power by a chunk (3rd nacelle and all), fancy up the saucer with cannon visuals (thus cannon ability), add a cloak to the ship (hopefully a battle cloak, perhaps with help from a tier 5 fleet starbase? [a cool idea, rly]) And to top it all off, maybe improve the Aquarius somehow or add a hangar bay or 2... perhaps the last 2 ideas are a bit much, or for a different model, but I'd love to be able to "revive" the age-old dreadnought.

I'm hoping for comments, and hoping more so for this to be a possibility, maybe even turnned into a special ship-upgrade made available by an advanced fleet starbase dock or something.

[P.S., back on the Cryptic STO forums, I am a senior officer... idk why my rank has not transfered over to PWE]
Thats why they are bringing the Fleet Galaxy Refit, to make up for the loss power and weaks shields, the current Galaxy has. I just hope they come up with an equal upgrade for the Galaxy-X, not that it lacks power but it could use better turn radius, an added science or engineering console slot, a boost to shield strength, and added hit points, just to keep up with the Fleet Galaxy.

Last edited by alexindcobra; 08-29-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Lieutenant
# 6
08-29-2012, 11:48 PM
I still stand by my idea for a Monarch-class Fleet Dreadnought...
Commander
# 7
08-30-2012, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposeableh3r0 View Post
I doubt we will see a cloak on any furtue ships since the only 2 fed ships that get it are the ones that had it in the shows.

That said the oddy can already out tac and out turn a dread the only thing it can't do is mount cannons or have a lance.

But really the lance is highly situational and cannons would only be effective with saucer sep.

That said i would like to see dreadnaughts make it into the game as a ship type for both factions maybe with some different types of heavy weapons just to make it interesting.
You sir have never put a Jump Console on a Dreadnought have you? That makes the Dreadnought AMAZING. Nuff said. As soon as it comes off cooldown, jump 3 Km behind him and game over.

The Oddy can out tank yes, but out Tac? not a chance in heck. The Dread clearly gives out more DPS, I have the full 3 oddy ships and still dont dish the DPS my Dread does.
But to keep up with the other Fleet Ships (TBH I still pwn people who do have fleet ships) The Gal-X DESERVES a Fleet Version, or atleast a Galaxy Pack/TNG Bundle
The Average PvP player

1) Teamwork and timing is #1
2) You cannot "Kirk It" in every ship
3) You are going to die, just get back up
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
08-30-2012, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcommando101 View Post
You sir have never put a Jump Console on a Dreadnought have you? That makes the Dreadnought AMAZING. Nuff said. As soon as it comes off cooldown, jump 3 Km behind him and game over.

The Oddy can out tank yes, but out Tac? not a chance in heck. The Dread clearly gives out more DPS, I have the full 3 oddy ships and still dont dish the DPS my Dread does.
But to keep up with the other Fleet Ships (TBH I still pwn people who do have fleet ships) The Gal-X DESERVES a Fleet Version, or atleast a Galaxy Pack/TNG Bundle
The dread only has 3 tac powers available. The oddy can have up to 6, true a dread can equip cannons but that means you have to keep you nose on target all the time to get any use out of them. Yes the jump console is nice but it isn't freely available to everyone an will eventualy get costly on the exchange also you have to wait 3 minutes to use it where as the oddy can be beating on you for those 3 minutes. If you seperate the saucer the oddy gaind a flat 8 degrees a sec to its turn rate making it more manueverable than the dread. The oddy is a better all round ship the dread really only shines in pvp.

Plus if you use hakashin's all cannon dread build on the oddy you have room for 2 crf1's and an apo1 plus 2 TT1's
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Career Officer
# 9
08-30-2012, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkari View Post
If i recall correctly. odyssey class npcs are classified as dreadnoughts already. meaning it IS a dreadnought class ship, just not the same as the Gal-x class, which is a different. whereas the Gal-x is classed dreadnought through sheer firepower, whereas the odyssey takes a beating.
Have you looked at what NPC ships get what designations?
The Nebula NPCs are called "cruiser", the Jupiter is called "Dreadnought" but then so is the Vo'quv.
The terminology for the NPCs has nothing to do with the classification of player ships.
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
08-30-2012, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposeableh3r0 View Post
.... If you seperate the saucer the oddy gaind a flat 8 degrees a sec to its turn rate making it more manueverable than the dread. The oddy is a better all round ship the dread really only shines in pvp.

Plus if you use hakashin's all cannon dread build on the oddy you have room for 2 crf1's and an apo1 plus 2 TT1's

Odyssey tac dread
Turn Rate 7.6 (full ship)
Turn Rate 15.6 (no saucer)
Turn Rate 18.0 (no saucer + A. P. Omega)
Turn Rate 20.0 (no saucer + EPS + A. P. Omega)

Who the hell put cannons on a cruise????
...now see my dedication plaque
USS PEACEMAKER
- NCC-511217-A
and Screenshot With Two Steps From Hell Music Mix
- Brazilian Fleet - lvl 20_Tier5 / Emb,DiliM,Spi lvl 9