Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Fleetyards
Login

Captain
# 11
08-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danqueller View Post
Well, part of the problem is that the Klingons abandoned some of their Engineering talent almost a century ago. When the Klingons traded the D7 design to the Romulans, they obtained the Cloak, but also adopted Romulan engineering techniques to make them work more effectively (just as the Romulans kept the D7 design pretty much intact until they could make the warp drives themselves).

In reality, the D7 was the last pure Klingon ship, with designs since that point being Romulan/Klingon hybrids designed for shorter service lives and higher firepower output. The Klingons kept the basic D7 design to base their new ships on, as well as the BOP developed with the Romulans, but most of the classes from that point were just newer versions of what had already been built. Thus, most Klingon ships are based on a D7 or BOP configuration, leaving them all feeling 'the same'.

Of course, the KDF is dominated by Klingon designs in much the same way Starfleet is dominated by Human/Terran classes. Other races' designs are in service, but the Klingons and Humans are the engineers who make the star fleets of both empires run, so almost all of the ships in the two fleets seem to have the same characteristics and priorities in their builds..
The thing about Klingon ships dominating the KDF fleet is that it makes sense. It's the KLINGON EMPIRE, ruled by KLINGONS. All subjugated races are supposed to be lesser in status within the Empire. The Empire is not a 'federation' of races, as the game would make it appear. The Klingons obtain new technology, and incorporate it into their ship designs. . .'re-using' ships from subjugated races in their military isn't their usual approach.

Whereas with the human designs dominating the Federation, that doesn't make as much sense. . .since the Federation is supposed to incorporate everyone's sensibilities into the fleet, according to their multiculturalism approach. The fact that humans dominate the Federation doesn't make sense, and only exists because that's how TOS operated (due to it being both the 60's, as well as a low-budget show).
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-29-2012, 06:50 PM
IMO KDF ships have a plenty more of personality (and in case of BoP, a ton more of on-fly changeable functionality, too) than the wonky pizzaplates Feds fly

Unlike the soul-less Fed designs, KDF ones have a certain feeling in them which makes you actually either grow to love or hate your ship.
~~~~[ signed by ]~~~~
FED: Mir Fnar <S>, Shillegah Z'Cknli <R,E>, Neane <E>
KDF: A'ma <T>, Ethexio <S>
~~~~[ in game since 2010 ]~[ accolades: 13,910 pts ]
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anikaiful View Post
IMO KDF ships have a plenty more of personality (and in case of BoP, a ton more of on-fly changeable functionality, too) than the wonky pizzaplates Feds fly

Unlike the soul-less Fed designs, KDF ones have a certain feeling in them which makes you actually either grow to love or hate your ship.
Only if you as a player take the time and spirit to put a personality in them, but from the basic standpoint, they have a huge lacking of customization in comparison to practically every Federation ship (I think only three Federation ships have the same limited cosmetic customization that the majority of the KDF ships do).
Cloaking generators break down at first sign of language.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-30-2012, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by praghas View Post
Only if you as a player take the time and spirit to put a personality in them, but from the basic standpoint, they have a huge lacking of customization in comparison to practically every Federation ship (I think only three Federation ships have the same limited cosmetic customization that the majority of the KDF ships do).
True, the options are rather spartan (or outright nonexistent in some cases). Each on their own tho, so far I've been (mostly) fine with what there is - except that my Kar'fi'd need a bit more tuning options...
~~~~[ signed by ]~~~~
FED: Mir Fnar <S>, Shillegah Z'Cknli <R,E>, Neane <E>
KDF: A'ma <T>, Ethexio <S>
~~~~[ in game since 2010 ]~[ accolades: 13,910 pts ]
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-30-2012, 12:43 PM
One thing I found frustrating is that the K't'inga, D7, K't'inga refit, and Koro't'inga are all "one piece", you can't mix them up.
Lieutenant
# 16
09-12-2012, 04:51 PM
While i just started playing imo the KDF has too many C-store only ships with no choice of free such as all the warship line.

Yes you can covert and get free zen but still we need more free choices.
Career Officer
# 17
09-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danqueller View Post
Well, part of the problem is that the Klingons abandoned some of their Engineering talent almost a century ago. When the Klingons traded the D7 design to the Romulans, they obtained the Cloak, but also adopted Romulan engineering techniques to make them work more effectively (just as the Romulans kept the D7 design pretty much intact until they could make the warp drives themselves).

In reality, the D7 was the last pure Klingon ship, with designs since that point being Romulan/Klingon hybrids designed for shorter service lives and higher firepower output. The Klingons kept the basic D7 design to base their new ships on, as well as the BOP developed with the Romulans, but most of the classes from that point were just newer versions of what had already been built. Thus, most Klingon ships are based on a D7 or BOP configuration, leaving them all feeling 'the same'.

Of course, the KDF is dominated by Klingon designs in much the same way Starfleet is dominated by Human/Terran classes. Other races' designs are in service, but the Klingons and Humans are the engineers who make the star fleets of both empires run, so almost all of the ships in the two fleets seem to have the same characteristics and priorities in their builds..
I agree with everything you have said EXCEPT for what was highlighted in red...Klingon ships in fact, are extremely reliable and last longer than any federation ship does, also they can continue to run/operate far longer without routine maintenance than any federation ship type. One of their hallmarks being durability.

The Klingon fleet is actually comprised of many different houses/families ships all joined together to form said fleet. Quite often some of these ships are over a hundred years old, having been in service to their respective houses for nearly that entire time. Often being commissioned and built to order for that house straight from the Imperial Shipyards. If I have to I can reference this, <although I hate looking things up>

Yeah, that's right.

Last edited by adon333; 09-12-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Career Officer
# 18
09-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeneezergoode View Post
One thing I found frustrating is that the K't'inga, D7, K't'inga refit, and Koro't'inga are all "one piece", you can't mix them up.
Yes/agree especially since no single one of those variants is faithfully reproduced, yet another gripe I have with Cryptics art team. Each one of those ships looks annoyingly different from its canon counterpart. Giving us the option to swap parts would go along way towards making this no longer a problem imo.

Yeah, that's right.
Empire Veteran
# 19
09-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Lack of variety and customization has been a problem for a long time with the KDF something I doubt Cryptic will ever fix.

I also agree that all the free ships are Klingon designs, hence a reason I have been lobbying for the Federation campaign Gorn, Orion and Naucassian ship designs to be added to the levelling fleet store to add a bit of variety and kitbashing options for those of us who have bought c-store versions of the said species ships.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
09-13-2012, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adon333 View Post
I agree with everything you have said EXCEPT for what was highlighted in red...Klingon ships in fact, are extremely reliable and last longer than any federation ship does, also they can continue to run/operate far longer without routine maintenance than any federation ship type. One of their hallmarks being durability.

The Klingon fleet is actually comprised of many different houses/families ships all joined together to form said fleet. Quite often some of these ships are over a hundred years old, having been in service to their respective houses for nearly that entire time. Often being commissioned and built to order for that house straight from the Imperial Shipyards. If I have to I can reference this, <although I hate looking things up>
um, please do, because your argument that the KDF somehow has more durable ships than Starfleet is sort of undermined by the fact Starfleet has several ship classes that have served for almost a hundred years (more so if you count STO's timeline) - I'm talking about the Miranda class which had multiple variants (one with rollbar one without, the Soyuz class was also a unique ship that was based off of the Miranda class), the Excelsior class (both the first flight model and the Lakota refit), the Oberth class (first appearance was in ST3, which puts it late 2200's, still seen around TNG and DS9 time).

These ship classes are highly successful if they're still being used decades after they were introduced. And yes, the same could also be said of the klingon bird-of-prey, but I don't have a problem with that.

For that matter I don't remember hearing that klingon ships are somehow feudally-owned and operated. I just assumed they had a defence force established to serve the high council.