Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Fleetyards
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 21
09-13-2012, 02:50 AM
...
A dinner plate attached to two tampon applicators. I can never again look at my sovy without a smirk... THANK YOU VERY MUCH XD.

Anywho, another guy said that fed ships could never look like all out warships... well NEWS FLASH BUDDY! Fed ships AREN'T all out warships. Most of them are exploration vessels refitted/retrofitted for war.

That's my two cents. But yes, I do agree, the KDF needs hella more variety aesthetically, but as for functionality, I feel almost sorry for feds when I am in my raptor lol...
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 347
# 22
09-13-2012, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elandarksky View Post
Bit out of the blue, but this keeps running through my head with KDF ships in STO.

They lack a personality or a uniqueness, or something that makes them special.. (going on the free ones mainly).

This is how i think at least:
Start at level 20

Choices:
Bird of prey, Raptor, K'tinga

Level 30
Similar looking Bop, Similar raptor, Vorcha

Level 40
Another similar Bop, Another similar raptor, Neg'var, Vorcha, Vo'quv

I know that klingons dont build for fashion rather functionality, but when leveling up its like Im not even changing ships (assuming you are a raider only or raptor only), i dont think of my ships when i was leveling up.. at all. My fed toons? hell yeah, i remeber the aggro i had in my akira, the fun nacelle set up of my heavy cruiser, my lovable reliable USS Maria (light cruiser).

Alright KDF can get some awesome and a bit unfairly advantaged ships from the C-store, but even so, the gorn ships look very similar, the orions admittedly variable, and nausican like spikey fish.. yeah space fish :|.

Heck even when it comes to fighter/shuttle there is such a limited choice it lacks any interest.

3choices. ('free' we have just 1)
I hate my toron shuttles. And toju's ability isnt going to get me to buy it from the c-store anytime soon :p

Federation, 10choices. (2/3 free depending)

There is only so much variety on toons in little ships in the sense you can call them a different name. (There are PLENTY of carrier pets which could [i assume] easily implemented into small playable craft)

Customization for KDF is also laughable, we can change paint jobs for the most part, or if we get lucky a costume (no mix/match) ((such as k'tinga)). Again yes kdf function over aestitic, but still :/

So what are your opinions,
Come on now.. there's LOTs of personality there. So much in fact two of their Tactical class ships have the same name

Regardless KDF ships are actually the most unique and personable IMHO as while they only change slightly visually from rank to rank, the variety is in the player. Strictly speaking, any career type can use a BoP and build the ship how they like with the uni slots. And if we include not only the free rank-up ships, there's actually some good variety as there are flight deck cruisers, carriers, siege destroyers, BoPs, Raptors, Battle cruisers, "Fleet Support Ships" (Sci ships basically in this case), and the Kar'Fi - which is basically an awesome battle cruiser with some hangers.

The one thing I will give you is they are sadly lacking in small craft, I would love to see some more unique KDF small craft as fed-side I tend to collect them.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 671
# 23
09-13-2012, 04:08 AM
tl;dr

The only thing KDF ships are lacking is pilots.....
I'll stop kicking that horse when the bugs fixed. Until then as a paying consumer, I will voice my opinion.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 735
# 24
09-13-2012, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyblade View Post
tl;dr

The only thing KDF ships are lacking is pilots.....
/10 char

but seriouly, the original KDF ships are nice, they have peronality and character. Some of the c-store KDF ships, slightly less. The fleet ships have a split personality... They don't know wether to be tanky or DPSy... And that sux.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,625
# 25
09-13-2012, 04:46 AM
The I.K.S Dragon Pride, T5 cruiser, she's got the FIRE IN HER BELLY!
She's a right dragoness. She's not gonna take any frigging crap from any one, she'll go in and beat the snot out of a Borg Cube and go looking for more.

She'll sooner blow a hole in you and stick a barrage of Quantum Torps up what's left of your shuttle bay rather then look at you.
She eats Feddy Dreadnaughts for breakfast while guzzling down a mug of hot Dev tears!

She don't lack anything!

And she's fun to fly. =3

Just my two energy credits there.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,251
# 26
09-13-2012, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stofsk View Post
um, please do, because your argument that the KDF somehow has more durable ships than Starfleet is sort of undermined by the fact Starfleet has several ship classes that have served for almost a hundred years (more so if you count STO's timeline) - I'm talking about the Miranda class which had multiple variants (one with rollbar one without, the Soyuz class was also a unique ship that was based off of the Miranda class), the Excelsior class (both the first flight model and the Lakota refit), the Oberth class (first appearance was in ST3, which puts it late 2200's, still seen around TNG and DS9 time).

These ship classes are highly successful if they're still being used decades after they were introduced. And yes, the same could also be said of the klingon bird-of-prey, but I don't have a problem with that.

For that matter I don't remember hearing that klingon ships are somehow feudally-owned and operated. I just assumed they had a defence force established to serve the high council.
Well the D7 did appear in ENT. lol

I'd rather think that it was a D5 or D6 as the production team did run out of time to design a new Klingon Battlecruiser for Season 1 so they just threw in the DS9 K't'inga. But hey it appeared on screen so it's canon if you want to believe such things.

The fact is the Klingons have always used a handful of designs and just made variants for different purposes, the Bird of Prey is a great example of this. It ranged from small 12 man scout ships to larger K'vort Cruisers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,177
# 27
09-13-2012, 05:31 AM
Well, to be fair, the BortasQu is a flagship that actually looks cool, unlike the Fed Oddy.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,764
# 28
09-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stofsk View Post

For that matter I don't remember hearing that klingon ships are somehow feudally-owned and operated. I just assumed they had a defence force established to serve the high council.
Plenty of Soft Canon evidence supports the Feudal nature of KLingon society and the concept of house owned fleets as well as the KDF fleet in service to the High Council.
As well soft canon evidence supports the Klingons design and use for ship over many centuries and decades before new designs are put into place.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,079
# 29
09-14-2012, 02:01 AM
Feds Engineers carry their backpacks like school children. Have you seen any of those Federation captains lately? They look goofy, and they can't even walk in a straight line.
How to really behave in online forums with developers

Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,203
# 30
09-14-2012, 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticmsfc View Post
Well the D7 did appear in ENT. lol

I'd rather think that it was a D5 or D6 as the production team did run out of time to design a new Klingon Battlecruiser for Season 1 so they just threw in the DS9 K't'inga. But hey it appeared on screen so it's canon if you want to believe such things.

The fact is the Klingons have always used a handful of designs and just made variants for different purposes, the Bird of Prey is a great example of this. It ranged from small 12 man scout ships to larger K'vort Cruisers.
Oh sure, I'm happy to say that the klingon ships are durable. Don't get me wrong, I just think you can say this of a lot of Trek ship designs. The Federation has durable ships as well, or designs they've used for almost a century with no problem.

By the way, the K'vort and the B'rel are actually identical if you go by a canon-purist interpretation of the onscreen visuals. The K'vort only appears once in an alternate universe (although it IS mentioned in DS9, but again only once and we don't see it onscreen) in the episode 'Yesterday's Enterprise'. Fast forward to 'Rascals' TNG season six, and we see two B'rel class BoPs attack the enterprise - all the vfx in this battle are reused from the 'Yesterday's Enterprise' battle, meaning the B'rel per onscreen canon evidence, is the equivalent of the K'vort class. (also, it's rather difficult to imagine two scout ships pwning the Enterprise, any more than it is to believe that Lursa and B'etor could do enough damage in one BoP, but... wait, I think I just shot my argument in the foot there... -_-; )

Bear in mind that the whole 'b'rel is a scout ship and the k'vort is a large, upscaled cruiser-sized bop' isn't canon at all - it's Michael Okuda's interpretation of events. But I'm not really all that much of a purist - I think the BoP visuals have always been wildly inconsistent and the scaling varies so much episode per episode that there likely would be multiple variant classes of the BoP (indeed, that's basically the only in-context reasonable explanation for what is essentially an out-of-universe vfx issue). I can hope that the TNG-R project might settle this but I guess we can only wait and see.

'bitemepwe'
Quote:
Plenty of Soft Canon evidence supports the Feudal nature of KLingon society and the concept of house owned fleets as well as the KDF fleet in service to the High Council.
As well soft canon evidence supports the Klingons design and use for ship over many centuries and decades before new designs are put into place.
I'm happy to accept whatever source you want to give me, but I don't really believe in this 'soft' canon 'hard' canon divide. There really is only one canon policy, so even stuff like the TNG and DS9 technical manuals aren't even canon, despite the fact that Okuda and Sternbrach worked on the shows in question. That's not to say I would reject whatever non-canon source you have, but I would rather it be proved by using canon sources over anything else. (in other words, I would consider something from a book to be persuasive, while something from an episode to be definitive)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:47 AM.