Career Officer
# 1 Caitian carrier best armament?
08-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Hi all

I am trying to figure out the best armament for my carrier.

OF course I am aware that there is no best weapon, but you gotta play and find what style suits you the best.

So far I've got my own tactic (I do not PVP, so this is only for STF and PVE), not sure if is the right one for the carrier so I thought that asking never hurt

Fore:
Tetryon dual heavy cannons XI ACC
Tetryon cannon X DMG
Tetryon cannon X Borg ACC CRTh

AFT:
Phased polaron beam array X
Tetryon turret X ACCx2
Breen transphasic cluster mine

Hangar:
Stalker fighter
Danube runabout

Power settings:
Wea:55
Shi: 110
Eng: 25
Aux: 35

Basically I use the stalker and the danube to block the opponent and drain shields; tehn with my cannons I go forward until I am close to the enemy ship, then shoot the plasma core to stop the ship and continue straight, releasing the cluster mine.

If the ship is still alive I turn around and start to circle it until is dead.

Am I using it efficiently, or should I get different weapons to maximize the firepower of the carrier?

Thanks!
Empire Veteran
# 2
08-27-2012, 03:40 AM
I find a power drain build is most satisfactory. I use energy siphon, and Tyken's Rift along with Polaron beams to that end. I just can't make myself like Tetryon (phased and otherwise), but I would rather make the enemy too weak to do much to me rather than them having no shields, and still messing me up.

I keep my weapons at 50, shields at 75, and run my aux to 125. My weapons are just to weaken things while my fighters (Usually peregrines and stalkers) to the damage.

Join Date: December 2009 - Alliance Central Command - boq botlhra'ghom
Captain
# 3
08-27-2012, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darshie101 View Post
If the ship is still alive I turn around and start to circle it until is dead.

Am I using it efficiently, or should I get different weapons to maximize the firepower of the carrier?

Thanks!
The Atrox is a Barge: slow turn rate, lack of Tactical BOFF slots and Consoles.

In a normal mission, the Bulk of its DPS will come from its Sci powers and Fighters.

For Weapons, you'll usually want either Turrets or Beam Arrays because of the wider weapons arcs - the ship simply can't turn quickly enough to make good use of the other narrow-arc weapons. Another possible variant would be to throw one of the new 180' Quantum Torpedo Launchers (from the Sovereign Refit) on the Front. In a STF, providing that you are very familiar with the mission layout, it might be worth using Dual Heavy Cannons for the extra damage output, providing that you realise that you will not be turning around or chasing things and orientate your ship accordingly.

As always, for maximum DPS you'll want your weapons energy setting pushed up as high as physically possible... then AUX (for Hangar bay recharge reduction, and Damage increase to any Science Deployables such as "Gravity Well 3") and to use all the same type of weapons (technically Disruptors would probably be the most effective as their PROC would buff the damage output of your fighters) with their appropriate energytype-boosting Tactical Consoles.

The Peregrine Fighters are the most efficient fighters for general DPS, and you can keep two wings of them deployed for each hangar (so summon them twice).

The most efficient use of the limited Tactical BOFF slots would be to go for TT1 and APB1. Taking a Conn Officer DOFF would reduce the recharge on Tac Team to usable levels. The Science slots have a wide range of potential applications, but Gravity Well 3, Tachyon Beam 3 and Tyken's Rift 2 would be good places to start (after you take care of the obvious survivability powers like TSS and HE). The Engineering slots are probably best suited to 2x EPTS and a copy of Aux2SIF.

Another alternative might be to use Aux2Bat1 in your LTCom Engineering BOFF slot (likely along with EPTS1 and Aux2SIF2) along with a few Technician DOFFs in order to get APB1 and your science powers up more regularly... but you'd need to be very careful not to use it right before you use any science power that relies on high AUX...

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]
Commander
# 4
08-27-2012, 05:42 AM
Hey darshie101!
I am a Fed Tac who uses this ships also for just STFs and PVE. I run 3 phaser DHC and 3 turrets in the back.

I go for max DPS, plus tanking.

I run 100 weapons power most of the time with shields at 50.

This ship can be set up for DPS very well if you use Dual Heavy Cannons. A lot of people say that it is weak, but I have been using this setup since this ship first came out.

Kyle
Delta Fleet Command
Community Moderator
# 5
08-27-2012, 06:09 AM
DHC on an Atrox? Seems...unconventional.

I go artillery weapon wise, five beam arrays and a Tricobalt torpedo or mine launcher.

will elaborate later.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Commander
# 6
08-27-2012, 08:24 AM
tobar26th, yup. Unconventional but very strong! Lots of DPS and then you have the tanking from being a Sci. ship.

Kyle
Delta Fleet Command
Career Officer
# 7
08-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks all for your reply! (for some reasons I didn't got any notifications for the reply...anyway...)

-Rickpaa: Your approach is one of the ones that I've got as suggestion (since mostly the carrier is considered a science vessel so seems that the majority of players with a sci officer use it with syphon techniques), but what if you have a wing of 2 or 3 vessel? I like the syphon approach for one big ship that deal damage to me, but since my ship drive like a bus; even if i can syphon one or 2 ships, the 3rd one will just beat trough my shields and cause damage.

I will try with that energy setup; didn't considered that the low aux may affect my sci abilities!

Maelwy5: Agree; even with a console that gives me 25 in turning rate; it still feels like a semi on an iced road that's why I slow down as soon as i get under 10K and keep the nose straight, so I can unleash as long as i can the cannons and DHC to blow the shield of the enemy, and leave to the mines that I deploy behind me the duty to break the hull. I rarely get the chance to turn around and do a second pass, that's why I was not sure if it was good to have cannons or if it was better to have beam weapons instead, to compensate for the low turn rate with a higher fire arc.

So if I raise the power for weapons and Aux; I'm left with nothing for the shields...since I have a slow ship shouldn't I focus on survivability (max out the shield power)? the borg shields are great because they regen fast, but their max capacity is not that great

I will give a try with the skills that you mentioned, thanks for the suggestion!

Kylesal24: Wow, that's quite interesting I've used with my sci officer all the cruisers and heavy cruisers so this is my first sci ship!

Maybe you deal more damage because you have a tac? I have DHC and I rarely see a ship hull or shields go down fast when I attack

Tobar26th: which types of weapons do you use? And which fighters? Thanks!
Captain
# 8
08-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darshie101 View Post
So if I raise the power for weapons and Aux; I'm left with nothing for the shields...since I have a slow ship shouldn't I focus on survivability (max out the shield power)? the borg shields are great because they regen fast, but their max capacity is not that great
You can focus on Survivability, but you really shouldn't need to go overboard as you likely won't end up tanking. Your fighters will draw a portion of your aggro, and your own ship's weaponry probably won't be pumping out too much damage compared to your teammates.

That said, there's plenty you can do to increase your survivability without reducing your weapons power: If you use 2x EPTS then that should grant a substantial boost to your shield power setting and also regenerate a fair amount of shield energy over time (and you'll get even more with "Transfer Shield Strength" in a Sci slot). Depending on your Efficiency ratings and Skillpoint Investments, it's not uncommon to end up running at very high levels of Total Shield Power even with your shield power setting slider set to 25. Aux2SIF and Hazard Emitters both grant Hull Damage Resistance in addition to healing. Finally, Gravity Well and Tyken's Rift both protect you from heavy torpedos, with the drain from Tyken's also contibuting to lowering the enemy's weapons power (and thus reducing thier energy damage).

Yes, the Borg shields are very weak compared to other shield options. Covariants have the highest capacity (the Reman MkXII in particular) but I'm more a fan of resilient shields - the best obvious endgame one is the MACO, but the Jem'Hadar shield is a good choice until you earn enough EDCs to buy a MACO MKXI or are lucky enough to earn a MKXII (both MACO and Jem'Hadar reduce your bleedthrough damage considerably, and have a bonus 10% damage resistance to all energy types).

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]