Starfleet Veteran
# 31
08-31-2012, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Actually, Ron Moore said in an interview...
Well, I sit corrected.
Career Officer
# 32
08-31-2012, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by icegavel View Post
Well, in THEORY, what Tolian Soran did to alter its path COULD theoretically swing it around a little earlier. True?
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
I don't see the Federation or the Klingons blowing up stars to alter the path of the Nexus.

It is plausible that the Hobus Event could've altered the course of the Nexus, however given the distance from the previous Nexus paths on the Star Charts, realistically it would be infinitely minor (after all the Amagosa star only changed the course by a few degrees and the Nexus was passing very close).
I agree with Icegavel. Soran's original goals already altered the path of the Nexus Ribbon. To what end we just don't know. With or without your own Hobus suggestion, a good mission writer can make it return at the end of 2409 if they want to.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Admiral Quinn was never over ALL of Starfleet << Link
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Ensign
# 33
09-01-2012, 12:38 PM
The jjprise is going to pop out of that rift firing gattiling phasers at that nero ship
Commander
# 34
09-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam73 View Post
Not be a nit-picker...but how is concept art a screenshot? Isn't concept art just art and not rendered in game?

Please - no. No more timeline abuse. My head hurts from the temporal leaps of logic things like this require.
You are goign ot get a major headache. The Wells class timeship and other tieships leaked in STO last week...timetravel is going to be a major plot....again.
EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
Career Officer
# 35
09-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Quote:
It is plausible that the Hobus Event could've altered the course of the Nexus, however given the distance from the previous Nexus paths on the Star Charts, realistically it would be infinitely minor (after all the Amagosa star only changed the course by a few degrees and the Nexus was passing very close).
Even seemingly insignificant changes in the path of an object in space can RADICALLY alter where it will be in 40 years. Hell, that's why astronomers are wetting themselves over Apophis. There's a 2% chance that it's path will be altered 0.001 degress by our gravity, swing back and hit us, and that's only a 7 year gap.

Trust me, I know my sciences. It's entirely possible.
CHARACTER GRID (@Lord-Ice):
___ |___ _ Fed ____| ____ _KDF __ ____| Rom
Tac_|_Thomas Hale_| __ __Illusion _____| Silence (K)
Eng | ___Antilles _ _| _ Mirror Rygobeth__| N'Vek (F)
Sci _| __ Rygobeth _| _Lukor Son of Q'Tar | Devala (F)
Career Officer
# 36
09-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psiameese View Post

I agree with Icegavel. Soran's original goals already altered the path of the Nexus Ribbon. To what end we just don't know. With or without your own Hobus suggestion, a good mission writer can make it return at the end of 2409 if they want to.
Well, that's something I'll have to wait and see.

That and that isn't really the Nexus, but a Tholian subspace tear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegavel View Post
Even seemingly insignificant changes in the path of an object in space can RADICALLY alter where it will be in 40 years. Hell, that's why astronomers are wetting themselves over Apophis. There's a 2% chance that it's path will be altered 0.001 degress by our gravity, swing back and hit us, and that's only a 7 year gap.

Trust me, I know my sciences. It's entirely possible.
I know my sciences to, I actually got a college degree in Space Studies.

While the basic orbital mechanics is similar between the Nexus and Apophis (with Apophis being in a much smaller scale), I wouldn't say they are the same.

Apophis's orbit is changed by proximity to a planetary body (the Earth), which changes it's orbit. But the Nexus's orbit was changed due to a gravitational body being removed from it's path. And in Generations, the path given lightyears to the Viridian system was incredibility minor in space terms.

So yes, that minor change could've shorten the time, it could've increased it as well since we really don't know the entirity of it's path.

BTW, is it me, or was Soran stupid for not simply getting in a space suit and float in the Nexus's path?
Empire Veteran
# 37
09-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Star Trek Destiny anyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Captain
# 38
09-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Quote:
BTW, is it me, or was Soran stupid for not simply getting in a space suit and float in the Nexus's path?
Not necessarily Picard asked Data why couldn't he just fly a ship into it and was told that all ships had been destroyed encountering the nexus as we saw when Kirk tried to rescue the Lakul etc.

However because it is known to destroy ships I still don't know why it just didnt crush Soran and Picard instead of enveloping them on Viridian III maybe the atmosphere protected them or something.
Lt. Commander
# 39
09-03-2012, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeasom View Post
However because it is known to destroy ships I still don't know why it just didnt crush Soran and Picard instead of enveloping them on Viridian III maybe the atmosphere protected them or something.
Hypothetically it could be because ships are big chunks of *metal* whereas people aren't. Too much magnetic or whatever forces ripping at metal parts?
~~~~[ signed by ]~~~~
FED: Mir Fnar <S>, Shillegah Z'Cknli <R,E>, Neane <E>
KDF: A'ma <T>, Ethexio <S>
~~~~[ in game since 2010 ]~[ accolades: 13,910 pts ]
Closed Thread