Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Survivor of Romulus
# 11
10-12-2012, 08:07 AM
I love the red UI myself, it's a great counterpoint to the Fed's cool blue, and some bs-psychoanalysis of mine explains the difference in terms of differing viewpoint between the two factions (feds are peaceful and friendly and emotionally detached, hence cool blue, while klingons are ruthless and aggressive, hence they 'see red' all the time.).

Having said that, I do understand why people might not like the UI.
Captain
# 12
10-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohd View Post

1) ARGH! MY EYES!

I personally have no issue with it, but apparently the Amber-and-yellow-on-red HUD is enough for him to barely deal with KDF play for longer than one mission at a time. Red-themed HUDs are not an issue for him in general (as stated, he's a CoV player), but this game's particular color scheme for KDF is absolutely "horrid and unviewable... I can't even see what I'm clicking on! I can't differentiate between ANY of these!" Discussions about HUD modding so the Fed HUD applied to both factions may or may not have occurred and been researched and attempted... limited success could, hypothetically, have been made. The sheer volume of changes required may or may not have been discovered and ultimately granted us the realization that it would be incredibly difficult to actually ever make HUD color changes a feature based on the amount of mess that may or may not be involved... (Seriously, do they even teach people to think modular in programming classes any more? I mean I get building job security in but come on... )

I do wish they would do something with the UI color palette for the Klingons, it is quite painful after a while.
Captain
# 13
10-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stofsk View Post
I love the red UI myself, it's a great counterpoint to the Fed's cool blue, and some bs-psychoanalysis of mine explains the difference in terms of differing viewpoint between the two factions (feds are peaceful and friendly and emotionally detached, hence cool blue, while klingons are ruthless and aggressive, hence they 'see red' all the time.).

Having said that, I do understand why people might not like the UI.
I understand your point, I think they should tone it down, maybe some more greys and greens to balance it out a little.
Career Officer
# 14
10-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderkassy View Post
I love the red UI, a lot of people do not. They need to give us option sliders to recolor the UI like in City of Heroes.
I've actually dug into the files and looked - the UI seems to have been designed with job security in mind, not modular/modifiable utility. (This is something I constantly ran into in my Flash days, even in paid templates). Its unfortunate, but unless they have an out of game tool that manages all the spread out files for them, modifying the HUD would be *very* difficult. It also doesn't appear to be made out of pieces that are dynamic, but static images instead, so actually trying to set the colors would be impossible as it stands without some creative thinking (I may be mistaken there). I could imagine a way to put a Hue filter on it, actually... but it would have to be some method of post-processing the HUD elements, and could impact performance.

EDIT: I take some of it back - I did not find ALL the elements, I stopped looking after it became apparent it was going to be nightmarish to locate every single line and icon just to replace them with the Fed versions (I never got to the point I was adjusting the colors to my own scheme, and never will). So, it is possible at least some of it is dynamic and can have a color slider applied.
Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
Starbase 5-5-4-4 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.

Last edited by jnohd; 10-12-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Career Officer
# 15
10-13-2012, 01:54 AM
The red hud is the main thing that keeps my KDF dude as a partially abandoned alt, and the only reason I don't have 3 KDF captains to go with my 3 Fed captains.

It is fine at first, but after about 20-30 minutes I find myself going crosseyed and getting headaches. For some reason the red is really really rough on my eyes, and tends to stress them much more than the Fedblue hud does, even when I'm wearing my gunnars.

I love everything about the KDF, and would really love to be able to spend more time over on that side, but I physically can't. And that sucks.
Commander
# 16
10-23-2012, 05:22 AM
I strongly dislike the red hud. And that the ships are green or greenish. Even the different color "tattoos" doesn't show much -.-

But the poor man's space orcs are cool for grinding dilithium an contraband And the few Storymissions
Empire Veteran
# 17
10-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderkassy View Post
I love the red UI, a lot of people do not. They need to give us option sliders to recolor the UI like in City of Heroes.
Exactly. Options for both fed and KDF.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Career Officer
# 18
10-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Recoloring would be a beast, based on my digging into things.

I could redouble my efforts to at least swap them back to fed blue, but frankly, I already have three jobs (one being the fleet).

Color sliders are not an option based on what I saw, only direct art replacement... but perhaps a set of options will be available at some point, or a tweak at least.

Be sure to /bug this stuff (or use the support page), as I dont know if this particular complaint is still on their radar.

Getting people to say "yes" to Klingon is not the path to growth. Removing the reasons they say "No" is.
Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
Starbase 5-5-4-4 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.