Captain
# 21
08-31-2012, 05:36 PM
The players at CoH have hated Jack for years, and blame him for everything wrong with the game. I seriously doubt Jack cares what they are saying about him now.
Career Officer
# 22
08-31-2012, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Cryptic can't "pull" the CoH license as they don't own any of it - and only owned 50% of it when they were partners with NCSoft. Cryptic sold the remaining 50% rights to CoH to finance their own studio back in '07 - all stemming from the Marvel MMO debacle. The 2 companies haven't had nothing to do with each other since then.

Edit: Link to original sale announcement: http://www.gamersglobal.com/news/304
My understanding is that refers to the IP, not the game engine. Whay NC Soft bought out, as far as I know, was Statesman, Arachnos, all that. Not the engine.
Republic Veteran
# 23
08-31-2012, 05:42 PM
after re-reading the announcement. it sounds more like the paragon team is being integrated into another development house... which makes me think they are going to be added to the Guild Wars 2 team....

I mean it cant be a huge coincidence that they find out that they are being shut down DAYS after the official launch of Guild Wars 2.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Republic Veteran
# 24
08-31-2012, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asheistheraven View Post
Actuallt I'm thinking your refering to Champions Online. But this isn't the only story. CoH is a hot property, even Lineage and Star Wars was pulled. This is why I worry for STO. MMO's don't have the mone making potential they used to have and the lockboxes will only make so much money before the niche wears off.

How much of this now is a about quick cash rather than content?
Champions online is the super hero MMO currently run by Cryptic. Paragon studios is the group of developers that used to work for cryptic but broke off when the game was sold to NCsoft back in 07. since then Cryptic hasent had anything to do with City of heros, so the closing hsould affect STO in absolutely no way.
Joined Sept 09.

Career Officer
# 25
08-31-2012, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkari View Post
Champions online is the super hero MMO currently run by Cryptic. Paragon studios is the group of developers that used to work for cryptic but broke off when the game was sold to NCsoft back in 07. since then Cryptic hasent had anything to do with City of heros, so the closing hsould affect STO in absolutely no way.
It could have an effect on STO, as it means more potential hires in the market if Cryptic is still expanding. Due to the origins of Paragon it could possibly even mean familiar faces...
# 26
08-31-2012, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhappyj0yj0y View Post
It could have an effect on STO, as it means more potential hires in the market if Cryptic is still expanding. Due to the origins of Paragon it could possibly even mean familiar faces...
possibly. but i was replying since the OP seemed to believe that it meant bad things for STO since it sounded like the OP apparently thought city of heros was still one of cryptics games.
Joined Sept 09.

Captain
# 27
08-31-2012, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
My understanding is that refers to the IP, not the game engine. Whay NC Soft bought out, as far as I know, was Statesman, Arachnos, all that. Not the engine.
Based on a statement BaBs made on the CoH forum, he's not aware of any 5-year limitation on the engine license. If anything Cryptic has just lost another source of revenue - the fee NCSoft paid them for using the engine.
Career Officer
# 28
08-31-2012, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkari View Post
possibly. but i was replying since the OP seemed to believe that it meant bad things for STO since it sounded like the OP apparently thought city of heros was still one of cryptics games.
If one chooses to see this as a sign of how MMOs are faring the current economy than regardless of who the publisher is it can be seen as a bad sign.

However, CoX didn't seem to be doing poorly financially, it was in fact relatively stable. It appears to simply be a business move by NCSoft to refocus their assets on more "booming" properties like GW.

This is also potentially a boon for Cryptic due to the loss of a competitor, though that would likely work more in favour of Champions than STO, but still...
# 29 Just sad :(
08-31-2012, 06:13 PM
I can't speak to how it will or will not effect STO. I can say hearing COH is closing its doors hurts, even though I'm not a current subscriber. COH was one of the chief games I sought refuge in post Earth & Beyond. The game concept and theme was innovative for its time, although leveling could be a pain in the early days. Hate to see it go away.
Captain
# 30
08-31-2012, 06:16 PM
CoH was always just "hanging in there." It made money, but never enough to be considered much more then average. There's been several instances over the last 8 years where we've all thought CoH was going to close its doors, but NCSoft just kept it going. Apparently it's just reached a point where the ROI isn't sufficient to keep it going - especially not in the current economy. It's sad but it happens all the time in this industry.