Captain
# 41
09-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Also, Archer's act of piracy, didn't leave the alien crew "stranded with nothing". True, the theft of the warp coil would result in the alien crews journey taking 3 years to get home (as opposed to a matter of days/weeks). Archer atleast left them with some medical supplies and food. He asked them politely to part with the technology, so that he could save his homeworld. The aliens refused.

Ethically, the theft was certainly wrong. And the decision was objected to by several of the senior staff. But morally, it was the only choice available to him. Not getting the warp coil, would result in a missed opportunity to negotiate a peace, and the destruction of Earth.

Archer wasn't a bad captain. Unlike the Captains who would follow, he had no rules and regulations to guide him. No Prime Directive, nothing that said what he could and couldn't do. The episode 'Doctors Orders' in Season 1, dealt very much with what would become the beginnings of the Prime Directive. The cardinal rule of which, is Non-Interference in the national development of an alien society.

The one thing I would've changed throughout the first 2 seasons, is any and all references to the Temporal Cold War. Early, it should've focused more on meeting new species, estabilishing peaceful relations with them, and essentially building towards what Season 4 ended up being: The beginnings of the "Coalition of Planets".

Had the show gone on for another 3 seasons, they could've accommodated a full-on "Romulan/Earth War", the likes of which reminiscent of the Dominion War, which became a highly successful episode arc on DS9. I would much rather have seen the Romulan/Earth War, instead of the Temporal Cold War.
Captain
# 42
09-04-2012, 02:56 AM
Also with Archer and that theft, you could tell he was fighting his consience throughout the episode. He didn't want to do it, but he felt he was forced to. He didn't disable their weapons, despite them damaging an already critically damaged Enterprise even further, nor did he injure any of the crew as best he could. And as noted, he did leave them food and medical supplies.

But the 3rd episode of season 4, when they got back to Earth... wow. That just shows how much that season really affected Archer. I don't think he fully recovered and became the person he was pre-Xindi. Archer was more like Columbos, charting unknown territory, with no contact with home, no backup, no rules, being forced to make things up on the spot with no code of conduct. He was a pioneer. He was bound to get things wrong.

If mission failure wasn't the total destruction of all Humanity, he would not have taken that coil. It was awesome the way that episode was done (and Casey Biggs was in it!)

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Empire Veteran
# 43
09-04-2012, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by praghas View Post
Aside from this being in the wrong section, I like Scott Bakula in it and thought he did a great job. A starship captain isn't about being the best pilot, but the best person.

Agreed!
Rihannsu
# 44
09-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meurik View Post
Also, Archer's act of piracy, didn't leave the alien crew "stranded with nothing". True, the theft of the warp coil would result in the alien crews journey taking 3 years to get home (as opposed to a matter of days/weeks). Archer atleast left them with some medical supplies and food. He asked them politely to part with the technology, so that he could save his homeworld. The aliens refused.

Ethically, the theft was certainly wrong. And the decision was objected to by several of the senior staff. But morally, it was the only choice available to him. Not getting the warp coil, would result in a missed opportunity to negotiate a peace, and the destruction of Earth.

Archer wasn't a bad captain. Unlike the Captains who would follow, he had no rules and regulations to guide him. No Prime Directive, nothing that said what he could and couldn't do. The episode 'Doctors Orders' in Season 1, dealt very much with what would become the beginnings of the Prime Directive. The cardinal rule of which, is Non-Interference in the national development of an alien society.

The one thing I would've changed throughout the first 2 seasons, is any and all references to the Temporal Cold War. Early, it should've focused more on meeting new species, estabilishing peaceful relations with them, and essentially building towards what Season 4 ended up being: The beginnings of the "Coalition of Planets".

Had the show gone on for another 3 seasons, they could've accommodated a full-on "Romulan/Earth War", the likes of which reminiscent of the Dominion War, which became a highly successful episode arc on DS9. I would much rather have seen the Romulan/Earth War, instead of the Temporal Cold War.
Yeah, the Temporal Cold War was a horrible idea.

I liked the parts about exploration. But my favorite story Arc? The one where Archer convinces the Andorians to work with the Vulcans and Tellarites to thwart the Romulans.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Empire Veteran
# 45
09-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik68 View Post
Agreed!
He was far from the best person. He constantly had a chip on his shoulder, yelled at his crew for no good reason, and usually maintained the demeanor of a petulant 12 year old.

I like Enterprise, but watching the episodes back-to-back, Archer becomes insufferable.
Starfleet Veteran
# 46
09-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Honestly, I've always thought Archer was the most realistic of the captains. Sure he has quite a few character flaws, but to me, that makes him more human than the almost robot-like captains of the 24th century. Sisko would be a close second as most realistic.

And I agree with everyone else about the Temperal Cold War. They should have just stuck with exploring and building the foundation for the Federation. Then in later seasons go into the Earth-Romulus War.
Rihannsu
# 47
09-04-2012, 12:49 PM
The writing was not great but i dont think scott can be blamed for what he had to say. give him the scripts that picard or sisko had and im sure he would have done an admirable job. the man can only say the words they give him. i cant question his acting.

i do sort of like that he's not perfect and gets things wrong and sometimes seems to be showing the strain of command and the job. he is literally the first human to be doing this stuff and he really got thrown in at the deep end, especially with the temporal cold war and the xindi. thats some pretty big stuff to deal with for anyone.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Commander
# 48
09-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty8mac View Post
He was far from the best person. He constantly had a chip on his shoulder, yelled at his crew for no good reason, and usually maintained the demeanor of a petulant 12 year old.

I like Enterprise, but watching the episodes back-to-back, Archer becomes insufferable.
All I've seen you do so far is troll on Archer, you dont like him, stop watching, the only one I see acting like a 12 year old is you Good day! I said Good Day!
Empire Veteran
# 49
09-05-2012, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by general1devon View Post
All I've seen you do so far is troll on Archer, you dont like him, stop watching, the only one I see acting like a 12 year old is you Good day! I said Good Day!
I like the show. I dub you the Archer of this thread.
Career Officer
# 50
09-05-2012, 08:14 AM
i remember scott baukla as a kid in quantum leap and other shows, and i remember telling my dad they should of made this guy Captain of the Enterprise......a few years later they did. He did a fine job with what he had to work with.

Archer was a difficult character to pull off, he was supposed to be discovering and exploring the universe, without stepping on kirks toes, with tech that was supposed to be sub standard to 1960s special effects. His diplomatic skills were below average for being so poorly armed. The NX made the mistakes that star fleet learned from.

I think archer was a less savvy kirk, i think the writing could have been better......