Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,642
So if you are not a PvPer you won`t notice much difference in PvE with fleet ship - so what is the point?

Are people actually taking advantage of the missions involving your fleet mate that only come from starbases - on a daily - or semi-daily bases - if not what is the point?

Are you accumulating lots of fleet credits to spend them on nothing - so what is the point?

Are you being pushed into contributing for the benefit of a few people at the top who could kick you once you usefulness is done - and leave you with fleet credits that are basically wothless(at any base) - so what is the point?

Are you wasting dilth on the base instead of converting it to z-points for the create new - account wide ships that are coming out over the next few months like the Vesta and the ndorion Broadsider battleship? - so what is the point?


Comments pro or against are welcome from anyone - but from PvPers or fleet leaders in big fleets who have minions building your castle - well I already know the answer to those questions - and I say minions because I was in ESD the other day and there was a recruiter there for 1 of the biggest fleets in the game saying that people who join with over 20 security doffs will start with 2 more ranks(before they are booted I guess)

But from the rest of you - what is the point? I am really interested to know - and take time to think hard about your answer and reflect.

Last edited by levi3; 08-31-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,642
# 2
08-31-2012, 08:02 AM
can "someone" ie a moderator edit my thread title to say "someone"

thanks
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,015
# 3
08-31-2012, 08:05 AM
The point is to collaborate with people.

The point is also to engage in actions which have an audience.

There are scholarly articles suggesting that PvP and raiding are both extreme minority activities and that people are not big on direct socialization. However, people are into having a passive audience and that's perceived as a big factor behind MMOs.

If I buy a ship, who's going to see it? If I buy a bridge officer, who's going to see it?

Whereas if I put dilithium into a fleet project, there are 30+ people who are going to see some kind of measurable change. The more I do, the more they see.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,642
# 4
08-31-2012, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
The point is to collaborate with people.

The point is also to engage in actions which have an audience.

There are scholarly articles suggesting that PvP and raiding are both extreme minority activities and that people are not big on direct socialization. However, people are into having a passive audience and that's perceived as a big factor behind MMOs.

If I buy a ship, who's going to see it? If I buy a bridge officer, who's going to see it?

Whereas if I put dilithium into a fleet project, there are 30+ people who are going to see some kind of measurable change. The more I do, the more they see.
Wait you can bring your Bridge officers into your starbaase?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 725
# 5
08-31-2012, 08:08 AM
^ Agreed.

The point is to do something as a community and have some long-term goals. It provides a chance to play lower tier ships at endgame competitively (which need not have anything to do with PvP), as well as provide ultra rare Mk XII items and skill boosts (which do affect PvP). Its also an economic sink by removing large sums of dilithium, energy credits, and expertise.
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18020 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 518
# 6
08-31-2012, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
So if you are not a PvPer you won`t notice much difference in PvE with fleet ship - so what is the point?
A 10% increase is fairly noticeable even in PvE. Plus there are some ships you can get with only fleet credits, so they don't cost you a single zen.

For me the Star Base is something to work towards with the rest of my fleet. There's new ships that are worth getting, especially if you don't already have a ton of c-store ships. There's weapons and other gear you can buy that are decent.

It's a place you can use for socialization, if you do such a thing.

Being part of the fleet gives you access to things like the fleet alerts, which personally I find enjoyable.

If you feel like you're wasting all your Di on the SB then don't do it. If your fleet demands X Di every day or something then I'd say you're in the wrong fleet.

SB's are in a way the greatest form of fluff in a MMO. It does a few things that are handy but little that is actually game changing. You can live without one, and IMO that's the attitude people should have when it comes to building them.

That means contribute what you want, when you want, and the SB will grow as quickly as the members of the fleet as a whole feel is acceptable.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 172
# 7
08-31-2012, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
The point is to collaborate with people.

The point is also to engage in actions which have an audience.

There are scholarly articles suggesting that PvP and raiding are both extreme minority activities and that people are not big on direct socialization. However, people are into having a passive audience and that's perceived as a big factor behind MMOs.

If I buy a ship, who's going to see it? If I buy a bridge officer, who's going to see it?

Whereas if I put dilithium into a fleet project, there are 30+ people who are going to see some kind of measurable change. The more I do, the more they see.
You are wrong, PvP is done mostly with people you know, probably the same people your building a fleet and star base with. PvP leads to more conversations because you want to talk about that last battle. When's the last time you talked about those long tedious hours you spent grinding out dil or fm's? Star bases are a ploy to eliminate the huge amounts of money the game generates, but has no outlet.

Star bases in a nut shell are STO's currency sink, you have many faucets of currency but very few sinks.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 8
08-31-2012, 08:13 AM
The real purpose is to eat your time while giving you the feeling of making progress to a goal (tier V) while simultaneously consuming the vast resources most of us have accumulated over the last 2.5 years WHILE simultaneously hoping that there are obsessive/compulsives out there who willspend real money to get dilithium/doffs/consumables they need to hurry along the projects.

Really, its a great system from a lot of different game design perspectives. And if players do it and feel like it is worth it to them, its a win for everyone.

I'm a little O/C about progress myself, but I don't spend real money on it. Think once I get to tier III shipyard, I'll be a lot less interested in sinking my dilithium into projects.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 9
08-31-2012, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by issueman1 View Post
PvP leads to more conversations because you want to talk about that last battle.
The only problem I have with this is most of the PvPers I have run into have massive ego issues and any discussion after a battle turn into "you suck, I am uber-l33t, and my e-peen is bigger than yours..."

Not exactly my idea of fun. And no one (of the three of us, ha) in my fleet does PvP because of all the tools you run into. We just do things that advance our fleet projects.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 518
# 10
08-31-2012, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by issueman1 View Post
You are wrong, PvP is done mostly with people you know
I think you misunderstood what he was trying to say.

PvP and Raiding are social activities. However most people aren't all that interested in those kinds of direct social activities. This is a well proven fact, in most MMO's that offer both PvE and PvP content, the majority, like (80%) avoid PvP or only do so rarely.

A even smaller % bothers with the traditional raids. At one point I heard a Blizzard dev said that less then 5% of the population had ever set foot in the end game raids in WoW.

SB's however are a way for us to work together with other people, but not directly.

That was the point stoleviathan99 was trying to make.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:40 AM.