Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Career Officer
# 11
09-03-2012, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maelwy5 View Post
The Excelsior has basically been rendered obsolete by the Assault Refit, and a comparison in DPS capabilities between the Assault Refit and an Odyssey (with identical Equipment) really comes down to a difference in Tactical BOFF ability Slots:

A Tac Ody can work with an example setup of:
Lt Tac: TT1, FAW2
Lt Sci: HE1, TSS2
Com Engineer: EPTS1, Aux2Damp1 or RSP1 or ES1, EPTS3, Aux2SIF3
LtCom Universal: (Tac) TT1, TS2, APB2
Ensign Universal: (Tac) FAW1

or (for a Sci Ody, or if you want to push a Tac's weapons power above 125):

Lt Tac: TT1, FAW2
Lt Sci: HE1, TSS2
Com Engineer: EPTW1, EPTS2, EPTS3, Aux2SIF3
LtCom Universal: (Tac) TT1, TS2, APB2
Ensign Universal: (Eng) EPTW1

In contrast, the Assault Refit really needs to use its LT Universal Slot for a Sci BOFF, so compared to an Ody it'll lose out on at the very least a LT Tac ability.

Concerning the two Ody variants: Sensor Analysis is better damage if you're spending longer than 30 seconds on a target. If you're not, the 3rd Tactical Console from the Tac Ody is better.
This is how to reply to a post. Someone that doesn't cast aspersions on another poster's opinion, just gives you the cold hard facts. Excellent analysis of the two ships, thanks for that.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Captain
# 12
09-03-2012, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
Wrong, you forgot your skills settings, the base rate is higher to start with so any additional bonus is a percentage of a higher base. My standard Regent turns at 11.9 deg/sec with no RCS consoles, with aux to dampers that goes up to 17.6 deg/sec. Just because you don't know how to set up a ship doesn't mean I don't. Don't come on here stating that what i have said is not true, I take offence at being called a liar and if you want to do a 1v1 pvp in your tac oddy against my regent we can soon settle this. Go pro or go home, how about put up or shut up! LOL
first, i didn't call you a liar. and second you asume a 1 turnrate increase makes a ship superior to another one.

if you can't trust the numbers, that clearly favour the tactical oddy, what criteria do you use when choosing your ships?

i only have the free oddy, and i consider even that ship to be slightly superior. i'll msg you shortly for a duell.
But i can guarantee you it will be stalemate.

my ingame name dess@raudl
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 09-03-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Career Officer
# 13
09-03-2012, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
first, i didn't call you a liar. and second you asume a 1 turnrate increase makes a ship superior to another one.

if you can't trust the numbers, that clearly favour the tactical oddy, what criteria do you use when choosing your ships?

i only have the free oddy, and i consider even that ship to be slightly superior. i'll msg you shortly for a duell.
But i can guarantee you it will be stalemate.

my ingame name dess@raudl
"Originally Posted by baudl
the only thing true ist that it looks better"

Implying all else is untrue, ie a lie. Choose your words more carefully and you won't get jumped on. Perhaps "the only thing I agree on there is...." would have been fine with me, I don't expect everyone to agree with me as I don't with them.

I will be online around 8pm this evening, need to swap back over to the Regent, currently playing around with an armitage. It will be very interesting to see which comes out on top, assuming you are a TAC captain, if you're an Engineer then yes it may be a stalemate, we will see. Handle is Matt@TFR_MACO_Specialst

cheers

Starfleet Veteran
# 14
09-03-2012, 05:59 AM
Quote:
[...]
In contrast, the Assault Refit really needs to use its LT Universal Slot for a Sci BOFF, so compared to an Ody it'll lose out on at the very least a LT Tac ability.
[...]
I thought that, too, but having tried living without a Sci officer on my Regents, I must correct that notion: It works great in PvP and PvE alike.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Captain
# 15
09-03-2012, 06:03 AM
RE the "turnrate" argument... the Assault refit will indeed have a slight edge there. The Impulse modifiers are identical but the inertia is better.

But then you have to remember that the Ody can drop its saucer.

I'm not saying the Ody will always be better than the Assault Refit... but there's a strong argument to be made for the Ody having a slightly higher maximum damage potential, and slightly better survivability (though not necessarily both at once - it'll depend on the BOFF setup and whether the Ody's Chevron Seperation is on cooldown or not).

That said, I'd be surprised if two cruisers did anything other than stalemate each other. Neither of them can run DHCs, so the most you'll be doing is throwing a few Beam Overload 3s at each other to try to spike them to death, and both ships can run Aux2SIF3, EPTS3, HE1/TSS2 and several armor consoles for crazy high resistance levels...

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]
Captain
# 16
09-03-2012, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maelwys
[...]
[...]
I thought that, too, but having tried living without a Sci officer on my Regents, I must correct that notion: It works great in PvP and PvE alike.
I can understand living without TSS or PH - but I'd be hard pressed to ever give up my precious Hazard Emitters!!

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]
Captain
# 17
09-03-2012, 06:08 AM
i know already it is a stalemate, even if it wasn't with my engi. there is just no way for acruiser to spike or run down another cruiser.

maybe i should have frased my sentence differently, but to just state "hands down the better ship" is also a poor choice of words, if we compare this now.

anyway, i'm more than happy to duell you, even if it is only a stalemate.
Go pro or go home
Career Officer
# 18
09-03-2012, 06:27 AM
Quote:
RE the "turnrate" argument... the Assault refit will indeed have a slight edge there. The Impulse modifiers are identical but the inertia is better.

But then you have to remember that the Ody can drop its saucer.

I'm not saying the Ody will always be better than the Assault Refit... but there's a strong argument to be made for the Ody having a slightly higher maximum damage potential, and slightly better survivability (though not necessarily both at once - it'll depend on the BOFF setup and whether the Ody's Chevron Seperation is on cooldown or not).

That said, I'd be surprised if two cruisers did anything other than stalemate each other. Neither of them can run DHCs, so the most you'll be doing is throwing a few Beam Overload 3s at each other to try to spike them to death, and both ships can run Aux2SIF3, EPTS3, HE1/TSS2 and several armor consoles for crazy high resistance levels...
The secret is not in the level of resists but how hard you hit. There are a few other things you can throw from a cruiser and it ain't nothing to do with spikes.

Career Officer
# 19
09-03-2012, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
i know already it is a stalemate, even if it wasn't with my engi. there is just no way for acruiser to spike or run down another cruiser.

maybe i should have frased my sentence differently, but to just state "hands down the better ship" is also a poor choice of words, if we compare this now.

anyway, i'm more than happy to duell you, even if it is only a stalemate.
Cool, come in your TAC then so there at least it will be on par.

Lieutenant
# 20
09-03-2012, 07:09 AM
The Excelsior is the fastest turning cruiser in the Fed side (Excluding special ships) with a turn rate of 8 but is balanced with a weak Ensign Eng slot. It has -50 crew than the Regent but it is insignificant for any difference.

The Regent is more tactical than the Excelsior with the Ensign Tac slot but turns slower than the Excelsior.

The Odyssey is super bulky, can copy the Regent's BOff layout with it's universal Lt Commander and Ensign slots and will take a lot of people to take you down with the right build but the problem is that it's very slow to turn, making beams the only viable option. The only to compensate for this weakness is the Chevron Separation.

Also, the Dreadnought is also a tactical cruiser as well. It's Phaser Lance can do some nasty shield and hull damage and can cloak, which is a powerful PvP advantage. However it only has a Lt and Ensign Tac Slot.

Hopefully it helped, but it obviously would not.