Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Closed Thread

Commander
So, the Typhoon (If it's ever released) is slated as a Battleship, and always has been.

Now, I know what most people are thinking. It's just going to be another Cruiser. But, why not make it an actual Battleship?

Now, a Battleship, for all intents and purposes, is basically a larger, slower, harder hitting and more heavily armored Cruiser. No, we WILL NOT be discussing the various myriad of Cruiser sub-types of real-world Navies.

So, here is what I am proposing.

Give the Typhoon noticeably heavier shields and hull compared to whatever tier Cruisers it comes out with.

Give it an innate ability. You know, something that doesn't require a console. Make it where any beam-weapon it fires gains +20% or 30% or whatever is balanced, as long as it's more damage then a same-tier Cruiser, to represent that, yes, this vessel has bigger guns then a Cruiser.

It's Turn Rate to quite abysmal levels, such as a 4/4.5 or somewhere in there to make up for it being extremely durable and the sluggish turn rate will almost completely restrict it to Beam Arrays, Turrets and the Wide-Angle Quantum.

The following stats are for a released tomorrow Typhoon.

BOff placement:
Cmd Engineer
Ensign Engineer
LtC Tactical
Lt Tactical
Lt Universal.

Console Layout:
4 Engineering
2 Science
3 Tactical (4 Tactical for the +1 version)

4 Device slots.

4/4 weapon slots

Power:
+10 Weapon
+10 Shields

Base Hull: 45,000
Shield Modifier: 1.25
Crew: 2000

So, that's how I believe they should bring the Battleship to the game, rather then just another Cruiser.

Thoughts, opinions.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-03-2012, 10:12 AM
I love the idea of a heavy gunned starship with low turn rate, but I think you over did it. The turn rate is EXTREMELY slow, thats only slightly faster than any starships base turn rate without engines. It's even slower than a carrier. My suggestion is make it the same as a carrier, but perhaps a higher inertia.

I personally think that as a new class, it should recieve a boost to weapons power base. Like a 10-20% bonus to weapon firepower, whichever weapon it is, that way it doesn't limit anyone too a specific weapon type.

Shield and hull are perfect for a ship of that size and speed. Thats about the same as a carrier. Consoles are great, good mix of tanking and firepower. The boff slots are the same as the regent though. Change the ensign to science. That would be a far better alternative in my mind. Or make the ensign a uni and the lieutenant a science, whatever.

As far as a console ability goes, I was thinking, why not have something that combines two bridge officer abilities and uses them at the same time. For this ship, it's have to be beam overload + fire at will. Think about it, whatever guns you have just blasting through shields and hull at everything in sight. Call it a wide angle energy burst or something. My two cents.

Whatever this ship is, as a battleship, it MUST be focused on gunnery, energy weapons basically.

If a typhoon ever came out, I'd respec my engineer just for that starship. Heck, I'd buy another two character slots, and spec up a new engineer probably.
Commander
# 3
09-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Actually the BOff layout is from the Fleet Vor'cha Retrofit, the Regent has the Ensign Engi and Lt Tac swapped.

But yeah, I want a big ole chunky Battleship with some heavy guns on it, not just another Cruiser.
Captain
# 4
09-04-2012, 11:33 AM
I am thinking a battleships should have more than the same amount of weapons that a standard fare cruiser has. At least give it a 360 arc beam/torpedo slot.
Survivor of Remus
# 5
12-01-2012, 11:25 PM
didnt chk date xD Fail on my part
Lieutenant
# 6
12-06-2012, 11:14 AM
I like your idea... although it would neccesitate have all the engy consoles be RCS generators
I support Handsome Phaser Guy
And Tovan Khev
No, I am neither a woman nor gay.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
12-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Give it Twice the weapons range and power
let it hit to 20kms and basically be able to fire ALL its guns at once
thats what battleships do
Captain
# 8
12-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Two things:

1) There is already another typhoon thread up

2) This post is a necro thread.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
# 9
12-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Two things:

1) There is already another typhoon thread up

2) This post is a necro thread.
3) The Fleet Excelsior is already a superior ship to the op's idea.
Community Moderator
# 10 Closing Necro Thread
12-08-2012, 10:28 AM
This is a necro thread and must be closed.

Please remember to check the dates of threads; and if you find an old thread raised from the dead which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies just report it and avoid posting in it.

Note that you're more than welcome to start a new thread on the topic (unless there is an existing thread on this topic that has been posted in within 30 days, in which case you can just continue to post in that thread)

Live Long and Prosper,
Bluegeek
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Closed Thread