Captain
To break from the thread of KDF getting a 180 degree torp (which I do not agree.. but read that thread instead) the subject of the bioneural not being 360 came up.

This is an old gripe in the KDF on how a self-guided missile cant be fired on something on the opposite side of the weapon slot that it is equipped in.

There is a way however to make this happen. Using existing game mechanics.

- Change the Bio-neural to be a MINE weapon.

- Add the same 'pop new weapon' code that the breen transphasic torpedo has. Only in this case the Mine 'pops' the bioneural warhead into existence.

- Give the bio-neural the same default attack command that carrier pets have.

We know for a fact that ALL player ships transmit the target they are watching to the pet AI matrix. It is the source of all pet AI bugs. However in this case it can be made to work for the bioneural.

When the bioneural missile pops out of the mine it becomes an 'AI missile pet' that will home in to any target the player has targeted.

With this method the bio-neural becomes a 360 firing arc torpedo with just two minor changes: it takes two seconds to deploy after being fired (no big deal) and it will always attack the same target the player has locked onto (unlike currently it chooses a new target on its own if original target dies.. EXACTLY like AI pets do if you do not order them).
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Captain
# 2
09-02-2012, 12:12 PM
I've never had Bio'neural, is it a console that modifies a torpedo or an actual console?

If it is a modifier, then yeah i think 360degree is fair
If its an equip able Torp, then i think it should still have its limited Arc

(going off the ionized gas sensor console)
Empire Veteran
# 3
09-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elandarksky View Post
I've never had Bio'neural, is it a console that modifies a torpedo or an actual console?

If it is a modifier, then yeah i think 360degree is fair
If its an equip able Torp, then i think it should still have its limited Arc

(going off the ionized gas sensor console)
It is not really a console. It takes up a weapon slot.
Captain
# 4
09-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Its a weapon slot torpedo.

The bioneural literally flies itself like a drone pet. If the target dies it will fly itself to a new target.

The logic is, if its an AI-flown missile then... why can it not be fired from the front and have it turn around and fly to the target behind the ship?

The issue to that is precisely the hard-coded weapon arcs.

If they can make the bioneural a 360 firing arc that's great. But apparently there is some mechanic that prevents projectiles from doing that (forward or rear firing arc seems to be the limitation). Its dumb since turrets do 360 but torps apparently cant.

So.. bypass that whole thing by making it a mine that launches the torpedo. No different than a deployable torpedo platform really.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Empire Veteran
# 5
09-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Well, canon wise all torpedoes are self guiding projectiles. So all torpedoes should be able to be fired at any target in range, no matter the facing. Just the travel time will vary.

-= ISE: 12:19 -=- CSE 12:41 -=- KASE 11:59 -=- HSe 8:06 total =-
-= KAGE 5:43 =-
[7:07] [Combat (Self)] Your Dual Disruptor Banks - Overload II deals 123086 (41096) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Assimilated Carrier.
Empire Veteran
# 6
09-03-2012, 05:30 AM
Can you imagine the uproar by the fleeters if Cryptic gave it a 360 degree firing arc? We are supposed to be at a disadvantage so they can look down on us. They can't have a challenge in PvP now can they?

As for the suggestion, it would be cool, and makes sense with such a high cool down for a weapon. I use it on most of my KDF characters, it's deadly on a fighter in the Vault Event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticmsfc View Post
We are supposed to be at a disadvantage so they can look down on us. They can't have a challenge in PvP now can they?
... look down, and blow up... poor things, the bubble so easily broken... But yea, they'll yell "foul", or "hacker!" if they can't insta-win
~~~~[ signed by ]~~~~
FED: Mir Fnar <S>, Shillegah Z'Cknli <R,E>, Neane <E>
KDF: A'ma <T>, Ethexio <S>
~~~~[ in game since 2010 ]~[ accolades: 13,910 pts ]
Rihannsu
# 8
09-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostusthorn View Post
Well, canon wise all torpedoes are self guiding projectiles. So all torpedoes should be able to be fired at any target in range, no matter the facing. Just the travel time will vary.
Although having a self guiding weapon capable of engaging a target behind the launch platform is quite dangerous. Real life torpedoes have safety interlocks that disarm them if they turn 180 degrees, the USS Tullibee SS-284 and USS Tang SS-306 were sunk in WWII because their MK 14 torpedoes lacked such a feature.

I would say that most ships in Star Trek have an aft torpedo launcher for a reason.

If a 360 degree projectile weapon was added I think it should not be self guiding, but rather be command guided using the sensors of the launching platform (basically it engages whatever target is selected, as long as it is selected.)
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.
Empire Veteran
# 9
09-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Just make is to when in a rear slot and fired the thing actually launches facing rear ward, instead of doing a 180 to get to it's target.
Dislike the forum theme? Try THIS. Dislike the STO home page? Try THIS.
Devs, need Fleet Orion Marauder and Dacoit please! :-)

Using - Bulwark, Voth Fighter. Favs - Fleet Corsair, Mogh, Bastion, Nicor, JHEC, JAS
Some others - Orion Marauder, Chel Grett, Guramba, Risian Corvette, Risian Cruiser
Captain
# 10
09-04-2012, 09:02 AM
My Bio-Neural Warhead is fine how it is. There's no reason to turn it into a mine.

Those of us in a B'rel have no problems turning around quickly to fire the torpedo. In fact, I routinely fire my fore torpedoes and then quickly turn around to hit them with my aft torpedoes while my fore are on cooldown.

If you want a torpedo that does something else, make a new torpedo. Don't screw with my baby.

EDIT: Also, turning it into a mine would make it the torpedo console useless.

Last edited by shookyang; 09-04-2012 at 09:09 AM.