Captain
# 1 What Brought me to STO
09-03-2012, 09:37 PM
I've been a Star Trek fan (a Trekkie, if you will) for many years. I remember hearing of Star Trek Online somewhere, but for some reason I didn't really look into it for a long time.

One day I was surfing the internet, and I ended up on the STO homepage (this was about a year ago). I looked around on the site, and I was captivated by all the lore - a list of factions (each defined from a separate Starfleet and Klingon perspective), a map of the STO galaxy, a list of all the playable Federation ships, and - my favorite - a timeline that got me up to speed on what was happening in the Star Trek universe by 2409. By the time I finished reading it over, I knew that I wanted a piece of STO. And here I am.

Please, Cryptic, bring those features - the list of factions, the list of playable ships, and especially the timeline - back to the website. I know from experience that they will grab more players for the game.
Career Officer
# 2
09-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Lately when I check the forums, there are more new posts in the Bugs section than in General Discussion. That speaks volumes to me. I think there is still time to bring this game up to snuff but I could be wrong. I was also hooked in by reading everything on the website pre-launch and my hopes were high. Now after playing around with some newer MMOs I'm afraid that STO might be falling behind. *insert content rant here*
REDALERT chat channel co-founder and operator
Lifetime Subscriber
True Veteran of Star Trek: Online
Captain
# 3
09-03-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm here because it's Star Trek, plain and simple. If this game wouldn't have the Star Trek theme I wouldn't bother with it for just one minute - it's not that good.

And even if the DEVs/publisher constantly introduce content which has less and less to do with Star Trek I'm still here because it is still more "Star Trek" than I get anywhere else today. As sad as it sounds, but that's the only reason.

And as you already mentioned, they deconstruct the lore and feeling of this game constantly in favour of selling new strange ingame-content without actually expanding the game at all or giving a damn about a sense of "fulfillment" of the game world.
"I am First Omet'iklan, and I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar."
- "I am Chief Miles Edward O'Brien. I am very much alive, and I intend to stay that way." - "Amen! Let's get it done!" -Omet'iklan, Miles O'Brien, Benjamin Sisko
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-04-2012, 02:22 AM
Not to worry....they always promise the next season will be the best. lol
Commander
# 5
09-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire2000 View Post
Not to worry....they always promise the next season will be the best. lol
at least minecraft HAS content updates...
[insert content rant that violates some bullshiz chinese policy here]
When in doubt, (hehe) c4!
This sig dedicated to the many random objects the Mythbusters crew has blow to smitherines
Captain
# 6
09-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickeyredshirt View Post
Lately when I check the forums, there are more new posts in the Bugs section than in General Discussion. That speaks volumes to me.
General Community Feedback: 202,000 posts.
Gameplay Bugs: 68,000 posts.

I don't know what forum you've been on, but the actual numbers certainly don't jive with what you're saying. In fact, all 3 of the Support threads combined wouldn't equal just what's in General - and General is 1/4 what's in Star Trek Online Discussion.
Career Officer
# 7
09-04-2012, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
General Community Feedback: 202,000 posts.
Gameplay Bugs: 68,000 posts.

I don't know what forum you've been on, but the actual numbers certainly don't jive with what you're saying. In fact, all 3 of the Support threads combined wouldn't equal just what's in General - and General is 1/4 what's in Star Trek Online Discussion.
Who said anything about actual/total numbers? I said lately and new posts/threads.
REDALERT chat channel co-founder and operator
Lifetime Subscriber
True Veteran of Star Trek: Online

Last edited by rickeyredshirt; 09-04-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Captain
# 8
09-04-2012, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickeyredshirt View Post
Who said anything about actual/total numbers? I said lately and new posts/threads.
Well, as the current forum is less then 3 months old I assumed that was a small enough sampling of time to qualify for the term "lately." But the post count is probably including the older forum as well.
Career Officer
# 9
09-04-2012, 08:04 AM
i miss star trek......exploring new worlds and new civilizations....i wonder when we can do that in sto? The closest i have come is talking to some guy in btran that i never see, but some times beam down to a cookie cutter base and collect info or rebel their enemies for them, and after that never see them again?

Remember when we use to be explorers? I like ground and space combat, but i wish things were fleshed out better to do true justice to star trek......like star trek episodes with a season big picture, what happened here to where we have not seen a new sto episode in months, and we are left with time gated and no fun grind content, everything cost to much and the currencies we got rid of are now costing us real dollars???

Where did we go astray??? What happened to the star trek part of this game?

I think the devs and the game designers need a fresh star trek perspective, because i do not think Gene Roddenberry would say sto is "working as intended".

Thank you.

Last edited by palpha2clearance; 09-04-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Captain
# 10
09-04-2012, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpha2clearance View Post
Remember when we use to be explorers? I like ground and space combat, but i wish things were fleshed out better to do true justice to star trek......
We were never able to truly explore. The setting was intentionally set in a time of war: war with the KDF, war with the Borg, incursions by the Iconians and Undine, etc.

The vast majority of MMOers like conflict. Even a very low-conflict IP like the Lord of the Rings trilogy results in a game which has a lot of combat. It's what MMOers want - and the vast majority of Trek players have only a casual interest in Trek.