Career Officer
# 11
09-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Well, as the current forum is less then 3 months old I assumed that was a small enough sampling of time to qualify for the term "lately." But the post count is probably including the older forum as well.
I understand that, i am saying more should have been fleshed out like the deferi, so we could meet more species and ally or make enemies of. I enjoy the combat, we just need more well rounded content, and a little help with old stories would help them not be so cut and dry. I want the star trek flavor, voice overs, good thought provoking storyline...
Captain
# 12
09-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpha2clearance View Post
I understand that, i am saying more should have been fleshed out like the deferi, so we could meet more species and ally or make enemies of. I enjoy the combat, we just need more well rounded content, and a little help with old stories would help them not be so cut and dry. I want the star trek flavor, voice overs, good thought provoking storyline...
I don't disagree that the game should have more exploration. I'm simply saying we've always known STO was a Trek universe set in a time of war. There were no "good ole days" of Exploration STO. There's only ever been "time of war" STO; and it was done that way because MMOers like conflict and reasons to pew-pew things.
Captain
# 13
09-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
I don't disagree that the game should have more exploration. I'm simply saying we've always known STO was a Trek universe set in a time of war. There were no "good ole days" of Exploration STO. There's only ever been "time of war" STO; and it was done that way because MMOers like conflict and reasons to pew-pew things.
As true as that may be, I certainly love pew-pewing things as much as the next guy if not more, but I want random cool places to explore and alien species and rocks to poke at. About the only think I like about Skyrim is the huge world it sticks you in, and then lets you run around whacking things be it people, animals or bushes. Let me rescue my crew members from deep dangerous cave systems that could collapse at any moment, let me sneak around a Klingon base sabotaging things as I go, let me get stuck in some sort of weird technobabbly space wedgie and jury rig a way to escape, there's plenty of things that could be done, even with mechanics and assets the game already has.

Why don't they do them?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
09-05-2012, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
I'm here because it's Star Trek, plain and simple. If this game wouldn't have the Star Trek theme I wouldn't bother with it for just one minute - it's not that good.

And even if the DEVs/publisher constantly introduce content which has less and less to do with Star Trek I'm still here because it is still more "Star Trek" than I get anywhere else today. As sad as it sounds, but that's the only reason.

And as you already mentioned, they deconstruct the lore and feeling of this game constantly in favour of selling new strange ingame-content without actually expanding the game at all or giving a damn about a sense of "fulfillment" of the game world.
i second this!
Ensign
# 15 agreed
09-05-2012, 07:31 AM
Have to agree with many points here,
I only came here aswell, just because it's star trek.

I had know about the game for a long time,
but judging from the fan videos and blogs etc
was not that appealing at all.

Now played it,
and its still not that good of a game,
all from storytelling to game mechanics , very outdated and
not boldly go where no man....
Most places is very bad representation of star trek and accuracy is out the window.
But its something familiar from a franchise one have come to love.

To me know its a doff trading card game MMo style
with social aspect in a familiar setting, very expensive chat room from the devs.
This game should be a moth storage on what not todo and
re'invent them self, just as so many other competition has now done.
Its time you really step into the 24th century gaming.
Career Officer
# 16
09-05-2012, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
I'm here because it's Star Trek, plain and simple. If this game wouldn't have the Star Trek theme I wouldn't bother with it for just one minute - it's not that good.

And even if the DEVs/publisher constantly introduce content which has less and less to do with Star Trek I'm still here because it is still more "Star Trek" than I get anywhere else today. As sad as it sounds, but that's the only reason.

And as you already mentioned, they deconstruct the lore and feeling of this game constantly in favour of selling new strange ingame-content without actually expanding the game at all or giving a damn about a sense of "fulfillment" of the game world.
I think this is where the rubber meets the road with a lot of players. While it is not really too Trek, it still has the Trek name on it. After almost 3 years I guess a lot of players appetites for something Trek has somewhat been sated, but many are discovering they are leaving the table with indigestion.
Subspace Party Nullifier Enthusiast
Rihannsu
# 17
09-05-2012, 07:49 AM
sorry baiting trekkies by displaying various factions as coming soon(tm) is nothing but false advertisement.

Calling this a two faction game is already bordering on insulting any readers' intelligence.

Once the KDF are finished, the romulans have a full faction (lvl1-50), and we have true exploration, after the pvp revamp has taken place. We can get those adds back.
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Survivor of Romulus
# 18
09-05-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm also here because it's Trek. I actually like the game and think it's pretty good, otherwise I wouldn't play it no matter if it's Trek or not. That said, I do think there has to be more new content.

Bear in mind I also started playing around when F2P went live, although I had a character at launch I made from a friend referring me to the game for one of those free weekend promotional things. Back then I didn't play it but that was because of the subscription system (I don't play any game with a monthly subscription, period), not because I thought the game sucked.