Ensign
# 1 Bridge Navigation
08-14-2012, 01:19 PM
This may and probably has been said/requested/ridiculed before but thought I'd share anyway.

I was thinking about how my bridge should be more interactive - I like the idea of my BOffs talking or doing more. Being involved with episodes was a great idea that never came to fruition.

What I'd like to be able to do from my bridge, is set a course, either with the guy on conn or the computer (if in ready room) to any point in the universe. The viewscreen should display the galaxy map and the ship should auto-pilot the whole way, taking the time it would take if I did it manually.

If I want, I could sit in my captains chair and watch it, or I could run down to the crew deck and check out my Doff missions. Should be able to see other players ships going by in the view port..
Captain
# 2
08-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyybdendar View Post
This may and probably has been said/requested/ridiculed before but thought I'd share anyway.
Yes it has been. It is beyond the capabilities of Cryptic's engine and they have no plans to even try to add it.
Lieutenant
# 3
08-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Kind of like a cockpit view. Yes, I'd like that to.
The third person view with camera floating behind a space ship isn't very Star Trek, is it?
Most of the time, the captains in TV series as well as the motion pictures, were issuing orders from the captains chair on the bridge.

I would also enjoy this, especially with the absolutely wonderful bridge of the KDF Bortasqu ship where you have the enormous panorama view from the bridge. If that would be the actual sector space visible - I'd be spending time handling my Duty Officers and enjoying the view at same time as flying to DS9 from Qonos or other nice palces. =)

Cudos to Cryptic for putting some of those Duty Officers in our bridges tho. At least that makes for a little bit of genuine Star Trek feel. I would however also like to be able to use my bridge instead of the "tactical view" for space combat.
This is one of the reasons I prefer Ground combat. It feels like Star Trek while the space is to much like an arcade game in my opinion.
Ensign
# 4
09-03-2012, 10:21 AM
It was done in Star Trek. Bridge Commander by Activision. Why can't they do it here. Would definitely give the game a more realistic "Star Trek" feel.
Captain
# 5
09-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Issuing commands to you boffs to set a course would require a level of "Auto" Navigation that doesn't exist in this game, bridge view is just a generic ground map that has no interaction with the space view maps, to have both you would need to have both maps running simultaneously, literally 2 games running at once. It might be possible to have sector navigation as "minigame", selecting a point to fly to on a 2D map, from the bridge but to be able to see your actual travel through space through the view screen while still being able to move around and interact with the bridge might require more than the game engine is able to support.
Career Officer
# 6
09-04-2012, 07:37 AM
This was one of my initial ideas to zinc before launch he was always optimistic, later dan said it was way outside the engines capabilities, which is a huge disappointment to use an engine that was to old to accomplish this from the beginning.

I tried purposing it again after launch in a ask cryptic after i authored a detailed thread on how to make feel like bridge commander and star trek final unity that captired the real trek bridge feeling and interactions.

Cryptic at that point did not want to put the time into making the engine work with this concept that initially Zinc seemed to be onboard with finding a way to make the engine work for the player. Unfortunately it never came to frution........

Last edited by palpha2clearance; 09-04-2012 at 07:45 AM.