Career Officer
# 41
09-06-2012, 12:51 AM
Wow this one I actualy like!

Good job.

*to bad it is another 200K dil*

Last edited by daalagtc; 09-06-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Career Officer
# 42
09-06-2012, 01:49 AM
Can my Fed captain smash them with a phaser rifle while ranting about lines having to be drawn?
Captain
# 43
09-06-2012, 03:00 AM
Where is the VSS Entaprise
Or the NX Refit?

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.
JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Unofficial Bortasq' Uniform colour guide here.
Rihannsu
# 44
09-06-2012, 04:56 AM
May we have a screenshot of the "upgraded" transporter area for the KDF project? Because 200,000 dilithium for a couple of flags nobody will even notice is way too much, and on the basis of the current screenshot everyone in my fleet agreed not to start the project at all.
Lieutenant
# 45
09-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Seriously guys, 200k should not be the flat price for every single special project. The reward should be proportional to the investment. Granted these are pretty, but I'm still burned about the potted plants.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 46
09-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashlmaru View Post
Fair enough, I just recall him talking about it in that episode. Another possible (less obvious) mistake is there were multiple sailing ships named Enterprise, both in RL and in ST lore. Along with the one depicted in his quarters, the HMS Enterprize which was depicted in the opening credits. Why is this one missing as well?

To my original point though, I'm still in shock how is it possible that they missed the most important ship in the history of the Enterprise? This is like a stab in the heart for a game based on this IP. Pictures of the carrier are featured in almost every mention of Enterprise lineage in Star Trek for crying out loud. Yet despite this omission they still have the presence of mind to put in XCV-330.

I won't be doing this project in pure protest of that big mistake. I thought it was a great idea otherwise.
When we were deciding which ships to include in this set of images it became clear quickly that we did not want to include EVERY ship from Earth history named "Enterprise." This was not a mistake, but a conscious decision to focus on certain representative samples from the history of that name.

To your first point, one of the tall ships named HMS Enterprise is included in this set of images - it's visible in that screenshot on the far left. I did some research on all the sailing ships named "Enterprise" and decided to go with a British frigate built in 1775 - the decision to include this particular ship was mainly a nod to the opening credits of the the TV show Enterprise and to increase the diversity of the ships represented a bit more. There were a few United States Ships named "Enterprise", but they were smaller ships - I felt the mission of the 18th century frigate, a fast, powerful and independent command, was more appropriate to the name's legacy than any number of the other manifestations from that era.

On to your point about the CV-6, the original "Big E" and the most decorated ship in the US Navy. Ultimately I decided to include CVN-65 over CV-6 for a couple of major reasons. The primary reason was that the CVN-65 Enterprise was the world's first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier. She was (and is) a unique and revolutionary design and important milestone in the history of propulsion, naval or otherwise. While the CV-6 had an unmatched record in battle, I felt the technological revolution of the CVN-65 made it more likely that she'd be commemorated by Starfleet, an organization hundreds of years removed from single-planet international conflicts. Secondly, the CVN-65 is actually a setting for action in a Star Trek adventure (STIV, although another ship stands in for her during filming).

While I agree that it's an incredible ship with an important place in history, I'd also dispute your claim that CV-6 has been represented in every depiction of Enterprise lineage. Both the observation lounge on the Enterprise D and Archer's ready room cherry pick their Enterprises, and in both celebrations of Enterprise lineage they chose CVN-65 over CV-6. (You can tell it's the CVN-65 by the shape of the deck and the distinctive square shape of the island.)

It's also worth noting that for the observation lounge of the 1701-E, they don't include models of any pre-space Enterprises at all!

Obviously in a project like this, everyone has their favorites - but even if yours didn't make it in I hope you get a chance to see the set and enjoy it in the game.

Another question from this thread I noticed: The Enterprise C is present in this series. To dispel any rumors, the art for that panel was created based on a screenshot from "Yesterday's Enterprise."
Star Trek Online - UI Artist
@Cryptic_TTC on Twitter
Starfleet Veteran
# 47
09-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticttc View Post
Another question from this thread I noticed: The Enterprise C is present in this series. To dispel any rumors, the art for that panel was created based on a screenshot from "Yesterday's Enterprise."
Que the crying.
Starfleet Veteran
# 48
09-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Well I have the new Starbase Project completed. Looks nice but there are a few things that look "off".

The top boarder of most of the ships are cut off.

While there is a lot of space beside the HMS Enterprise but the other side of the new Enterprise - F and flag ship of the fleet is put behind a potted plant.
Career Officer
# 49
09-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Well reasoned reply Thomas!

Quote:
Oh, thats just cruel. ^^
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Rihannsu
# 50
09-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Quote:
When we were deciding which ships to include in this set of images it became clear quickly that we did not want to include EVERY ship from Earth history named "Enterprise." This was not a mistake, but a conscious decision to focus on certain representative samples from the history of that name.

To your first point, one of the tall ships named HMS Enterprise is included in this set of images - it's visible in that screenshot on the far left. I did some research on all the sailing ships named "Enterprise" and decided to go with a British frigate built in 1775 - the decision to include this particular ship was mainly a nod to the opening credits of the the TV show Enterprise and to increase the diversity of the ships represented a bit more. There were a few United States Ships named "Enterprise", but they were smaller ships - I felt the mission of the 18th century frigate, a fast, powerful and independent command, was more appropriate to the name's legacy than any number of the other manifestations from that era.

On to your point about the CV-6, the original "Big E" and the most decorated ship in the US Navy. Ultimately I decided to include CVN-65 over CV-6 for a couple of major reasons. The primary reason was that the CVN-65 Enterprise was the world's first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier. She was (and is) a unique and revolutionary design and important milestone in the history of propulsion, naval or otherwise. While the CV-6 had an unmatched record in battle, I felt the technological revolution of the CVN-65 made it more likely that she'd be commemorated by Starfleet, an organization hundreds of years removed from single-planet international conflicts. Secondly, the CVN-65 is actually a setting for action in a Star Trek adventure (STIV, although another ship stands in for her during filming).

While I agree that it's an incredible ship with an important place in history, I'd also dispute your claim that CV-6 has been represented in every depiction of Enterprise lineage. Both the observation lounge on the Enterprise D and Archer's ready room cherry pick their Enterprises, and in both celebrations of Enterprise lineage they chose CVN-65 over CV-6. (You can tell it's the CVN-65 by the shape of the deck and the distinctive square shape of the island.)

It's also worth noting that for the observation lounge of the 1701-E, they don't include models of any pre-space Enterprises at all!

Obviously in a project like this, everyone has their favorites - but even if yours didn't make it in I hope you get a chance to see the set and enjoy it in the game.

Pretty much what I thought when I saw the line-up was that there's one from each era of innovation.
  • HMS Enterprise - age of sail
  • Enterprise CVN-65 - age of nuclear/steam
  • Space Shuttle Enterprise - first space-born/jet powered
  • 'rings' Enterprise - ion drive/impulse?
  • NX-O1 - warp drive
The obvious technological differences then get smaller it seems, and possibly becomes more a case of lineage.
MikeWard1701 (Special Envoy)

facebook twitter Steam STOwiki Raptr - feel free to follow/friend me : )

Last edited by mikeward1701; 09-06-2012 at 12:42 PM.