Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
My brother just sent me this link, I don't know if it was already mentioned around here:

http://sciencefiction.com/2012/09/05...orf-tv-series/

It really get's me excited. Allthough it's only a "half-hearted concept" Mr. Dorn wanted to throw out there, I really love the idea. Mr. Worf was always one of my favourites. But reading that J.J. Abrams would always have the last word on anything that resembles Star Trek made my heart ache quite a bit
-----------------------------------------------------------------
-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
Ensign
# 2
09-06-2012, 12:30 AM
I have nothing against Worf, but as a Captain I don't think I could stand him...

I can just see it now, everytime a fight comes up the camera goes up close to Worf who has a slight grin on his face and that look in his eyes he always has before going of on some speech about glory and honor and and past battles and blah blah I am a Klingon warrior etc etc I can't destroy my enemy it would not be right under the Starfleet code. Ugh.... I love Worf

Really want a Star Trek: The Morn Years
Career Officer
# 3
09-06-2012, 12:59 AM
It would be cool... I just don't trust the Powers That Be to agree with us about it.
Rihannsu
# 4
09-06-2012, 01:37 AM
I would not say its half-hearted. getting any tv series made or even past a pilot episode is incredibly hard. there are literally thousands of tv shows that never get off the ground. i think his expectations are realistic in terms of whether anyone will accept it, and as someone who is not a TV director/executive but simply an actor he has to know he is delving into an area that is not his speciality but thats not the same thing as a half heated effort.

im also not sure how accurate the 'guardian of trek' is. sounds like a phrase someone comes up with and then it sticks as if he is the one and only controlling voice.

i coluld be wrong but as far as i see it he is the director of one film series and paramount own the films but not the shows. i dont believe he has any control over what CBS could do with the series and if paramount wanted a show themselves i doubt he would be the final voice. if they see $ signs they will make the show regardless of how he feels. i dont think he was even a guarantee to make the second film or locked into any long term contract. im sure it would be discussed with him but i think his control is probably quite limited.

as for a worf show, while i dont think he is necessarily the right person to be a captain the concept of a prime universe show set after nemesis is exactly what i want to see. the chance to use any character from tng, voyager or ds9 is also a mouth watering prospect but im sceptical that it will happen.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 5
09-06-2012, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmune View Post
Really want a Star Trek: The Morn Years
You're obviously not reading the subtext of Star Trek correctly.

The entire series - every minute of every episode and every bit of licensed material - is one of three things.

1. Morn-dominated, of course.
2. Providing context for Morn.
3. Preparing the universe for the COMING of Morn.

Morn is the one, single, sole point of all of Star Trek storytelling.

Everyone else is either a chess piece or a throw-away tool with a name.
Career Officer
# 6
09-06-2012, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
[...]
as for a worf show, while i dont think he is necessarily the right person to be a captain [...]
Well, Starfleet had quite a few casualties lately, I don't think they'll be too picky about it.

Besides, Worf will have matured over the past decades, I'd really love to see how that could turn out.
Rihannsu
# 7
09-06-2012, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Well, Starfleet had quite a few casualties lately, I don't think they'll be too picky about it.
let me clarify. i dont think worf the character is right as a captain from a tv standpoint. when i think of kirk, picard , sisko etc i get the image of a great captain. worf is a great character and could even make a good first officer but i dont think he would work well as the captain of the show. he tends to be a bit two dimensional in his attitude to things. it could make it a more action show and a little less star trek.

when i think of picard verbally jousting with Q or sisko with Dukat i think of great TV. I'm not sure worf brings that to the table.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 8
09-06-2012, 03:52 AM
Hm, but isn't that more a result of the character's function in the contexts in which he was shown up to now?
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-06-2012, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Hm, but isn't that more a result of the character's function in the contexts in which he was shown up to now?
Possibly. But seeing how volatile Worf's personality is, he's not "captain material" - great Tac/BO, but no, not a captain. If he captained a Klingon ship instead of Fed, then that'd be wholly different issue.
~~~~[ signed by ]~~~~
FED: Mir Fnar <S>, Shillegah Z'Cknli <R,E>, Neane <E>
KDF: A'ma <T>, Ethexio <S>
~~~~[ in game since 2010 ]~[ accolades: 13,910 pts ]
Captain
# 10
09-06-2012, 04:32 AM
Worf as a Captain, i think i could like it.
I always liked Worf and i think it would be nice to see this character grow even more, since he is already one of the most experienced officers in Starfleet.

This series could be the chance to return to the original values of Star Trek, like a more positive view of the future.

My english is not the best but did the article say that JJ Abrams is the guardian of trek?
Quote:
Unfortunately, Dorn is in the same boat as Fuller and Singer when it comes to the likelihood of seeing his ?Star Trek? series on the small screen as the decision to green light any ?Star Trek? series will have to come from J.J. Abrams, who has been dubbed ?the guardian of Trek?.
Live long and prosper.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-