Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Rihannsu
# 11
09-06-2012, 08:40 AM
I'd be more worried about Awful Orci and friends spearheading a new series.
Career Officer
# 12
09-07-2012, 05:10 AM
Here's the deal:

CBS has TV rights. Paramount has movie rights. However, Orci, Kurtzman, and Abrams have veto rights on any TV project, which was negotiated by Paramount and CBS.

Dorn wants to do a direct to video movie.

Orci has said that for his one third of the vote, he'd say no to anything live action in any universe. That means Abrams or Kurtzman would have to break rank and say "yes" because the veto has to be unanimous.

HOWEVER...

Orci has said he would be very inclined to say yes to something animated.

CBS would prefer something Prime Universe so that they don't have to negotiate too hard with Paramount.

Now, if you had something lined up that was an animated Michael Dorn Worf project, it would have a prayer.

If anybody knows how to contact Dorn and tell him this, please do.

I can see it working. Klingon culture has a stylish look that would work well with animation, either CG or maybe something Aeon Flux-ish. Honestly, Worf always got punked primarily due to the special effects budget and stunts budget. In animation, you can get around that.

I've mentioned this all to an artist friend and he knows some Hollywood CG artists who he says would cut Dorn a break on their price just to say they did it and to get to work with him.
Career Officer
# 13
09-07-2012, 05:22 AM
My other point is that I gather CBS would like more general consistency between its licensees even if the timelines don't match perfectly.

Meaning that STO can have things happen 25 years after they happen in the books but the same general stuff has to happen.

The dates don't have to match but the events do. This is why STO can't reveal the end of the Enterprise-E because CBS wants one version of that story to apply across its licensee continuities. When and if that happens, it will be one version that STO, the novels, and the comics can all use regardless of the differences in their continuities.

So if you have Worf hunting terrorists like Dorn wants, the smart money is on those terrorists being Undine.
Career Officer
# 14
09-07-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm not sold on Worf as a Captain either. Ezri Dax on the other hand... Definitely! Give us a series starting off by briefing sumarizing her career after DS9 upto the point of her taking command of the Aventine. Her character was hardly developed in DS9 so that leaves a lot of room for some good TV in my opinion.
Captain
# 15
09-08-2012, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Orci has said he would be very inclined to say yes to something animated.
Good dog, no. Please not. Before there is anymore rubbish CG-animated stuff I'd rather just buy the books on the "Captain Worf" saga

CGI animation, even the high-praised "Avatar", just looks bad IMO. It'd be fine for a videogame, but it's always looking like rubbish in a feature film, let alone a TV series (do you remember the awfull CGI in VOY or ENT?).

If they try to take the animated route to "save" prime-universe Trek I say let it die with what's left of it's dignity

EDIT: @ jcsww: I don't know, I never liked Ezri that much. She always felt to me just like the last-minute stand-in for Jadzia (which she was, obviously). Jadzia on the other hand was a very likeable character about whom Terry Ferrel said that she would have loved to play her again as a clone, hologram or alternate reality version.
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh

Last edited by angrytarg; 09-08-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Career Officer
# 16
09-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
EDIT: @ jcsww: I don't know, I never liked Ezri that much. She always felt to me just like the last-minute stand-in for Jadzia (which she was, obviously). Jadzia on the other hand was a very likeable character about whom Terry Ferrel said that she would have loved to play her again as a clone, hologram or alternate reality version.
Personally, I couldn't stand Jadzia! It took too ling to kill her off to replace! You might want to give some of the novels a try though. Even those who may not have liked her shell of a character in DS9, she develops into a Captian fit for the chair. if they could take some of that soft canon history and use it to kick-start a new series. I think it would do much better than Enterprise could have done at the best over-inflated projections.
Captain
# 17
09-10-2012, 08:32 AM
A prime universe Star Trek with Captain Worf in the big chair of a Prometheus? Hell yes!

But... whos that Orci dude which gets a voice and descides to say "No" to anything but animated? Does he just hates Trek overall or a typical clueless bigwig?
Lieutenant
# 18
09-10-2012, 08:44 AM
Rather than another prime universe series based after ds9, I would prefer a series based between 2063 (1st contact) and 2151 (ENT series).

Rather than focus on 1 group of crew and their trek through the stars it could feature groups of people through the years dealing with rebuilding earths citys, repairing the radiation damage, getting the remaining governments to work with & trust vulcans, then onto humans first visit to outer planets/the first ship to leave the solar system, ending the series on the launch of the Enterprise?

No need to have explosions/strange looking aliens/time travel, just focus on the human story as we bumble towards a future utopian society where duty officers can be powered into dilithium to power our fleet of mighty warships! All hail the emper-uh-president of the UFP!
Community Moderator
# 19
09-10-2012, 08:46 AM
I'm not really much in favor of a new "TAS-style" tv series. I think going animated is the wrong direction.

Live action can be done with targeted or minimal SFX, whereas animation is basically entirely SFX.

And I would hope we're not talking about "Filmation" or Anime style animation here...

If it's the CGI-type animation that everyone would expect to see, I expect that it takes longer to create and that it's more expensive. Setting up to do a season of fully-animated shows would take longer than a full-length animated movie. I don't think so.

About the only break they could get would be avoiding big-name actor's likenesses/voices, and that only if it departs from every other Star Trek far enough to exclude those well-known characters.

The other benefit, of course, is that you would no longer need to worry about aging actors. Data could finally be as immortal as he's always been portrayed as being.

So yes, I suppose there would be benefits to an animated approach.

But for mainstream tv, I don't think it would work. By making it fully-animated, they would lose people who still think of animation as something for the kids. People who might otherwise get pulled into watching another Trek series might not be satisfied with it. It would immediately feel less "real". I enjoy animated features as much as anybody, but you can't ever shake the realization that it's basically a cartoon (unless you're throwing an "Avatar" budget at it).

Star Trek deserves better than that.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Career Officer
# 20
09-10-2012, 09:00 AM
I like Worf as much as the next guy but I don't know if I can picture him carrying a show. The TNG cast is showing age so chances are we won't see any of them return as a permanent cast member. That leaves the VOY crew which IMO still has a few good years left to reprise their roles though, generally speaking, the show wasn't very popular so lets discard the idea of some VOY crew in this new show.

That means Dorn will need a strong supporting cast, and as I stated above, I don't think he can carry a show. IMO, he's a great supporting character but not as a lead.

Just my two cents.