Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Starfleet Veteran
# 21
09-10-2012, 09:15 AM
I'm not sure I would want Worf as Captain of a Starfleet vessel, consdering his history:

-Assasinated claimant to Klingon Empire Chancelorship
-Assasinated Klingon Empire Chancelor
-Disregarded orders from superior officers on multiple occasions
-Failed to complete covert mission behind enemy lines due to injury to fellow officer
-Has been defeated in combat by a small female Betazed
-Allowed previous Captains to be kidnapped off their own bridge on several occasions
-Has resigned from Starfleet service on multiple occasions

I do this in jest, but the facts do stack up against him. :p
Lieutenant
# 22
09-10-2012, 09:21 AM
I could see it happening but Worf needs the right crew and the right environment to make it work since he's not a typical Starfleet captain.

How about a joint task force between the Klingons and the Empire that neither side really supports or wants to succeed, placed in a troublesome backwater full of Orion and Nausacan pirates? It could be a place far from the Federation, so Worf's unique style of captaining has some flex room.

His crew could be a rag tag bunch of throw aways from Starfleet and the Imperial Klingon Navy who have unorthodox skill sets and lots of character flaws. His ship could be an older worn out cruiser that breaks down all the time and incorporates whatever tech they can find.

Sounds like a fun and a totally different type of Star Trek to me.
Captain
# 23
09-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I'm not really much in favor of a new "TAS-style" tv series. I think going animated is the wrong direction.
Let me call your attention to a cool little thing called the Cryengine 3 Cinebox. Real-time rendered CG in extreme high-detail environment. All sets virtual. All props virtual. Horrifying stunts can be done while looking at the character's face and things can happen in real time that just cannot happen without trick photography or some expensive visual effect after the fact...

There are two good videos demonstrating this technology:

1 - The original announcement video
2 - The more recent practical application video

Consider how small the production team would need to be, how much money the studio can save on sets, props, costumes, and any number of big budgeting considerations. Plus, voice acting is a lot easier to work into a schedule. You can get big name actors and farm the recording out to a local audio recording studio to handle them if they are unable to travel due to existing commitments.

Oh... and you can blow the hell out of your sets as many times as you want to and just reset them if you need to redo a sequence from maybe a different angle...

I can only speak for myself, but I would buy a CG-based film about the tragedy that was Wolf 359...

Anyway...
I personally want a Star Trek game that is actually Star Trek. On a qualitative level that could be a lot of different things for a lot of different people. But on a quantitative level, if the developers were to watch star trek and make the game like what they see, then at least it will be a shot in the right direction, as far as I am concerned.
Community Moderator
# 24
09-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman650 View Post
I like Worf as much as the next guy but I don't know if I can picture him carrying a show. The TNG cast is showing age so chances are we won't see any of them return as a permanent cast member. That leaves the VOY crew which IMO still has a few good years left to reprise their roles though, generally speaking, the show wasn't very popular so lets discard the idea of some VOY crew in this new show.

That means Dorn will need a strong supporting cast, and as I stated above, I don't think he can carry a show. IMO, he's a great supporting character but not as a lead.

Just my two cents.
As likable as Worf was, they never really got the character too far past being very one-dimensional. Nearly every internal struggle Worf ever had boiled down to some conflict with his inflexible personal sense of honor. You really would get tired of that if it were the theme of the show week after week.

A series about an older and more experienced Worf could finally get past that.

However, I really can't see it as it's being pitched. Most of the peeks we got at Worf's future put him back in the Empire, not Starfleet. That's not a show-stopper, of course. But I think it would be interesting to see Worf commanding a Klingon starship with some pretext for a mixed-species crew. Maybe as a troubleshooter for the Alliance (if it still exists). Could you hang a whole series on that? Possibly not, but it would certainly be different territory for a Trek series.

No matter what they do, if they do it, they need to find a different angle from previous series. A Next-Next Generation series won't fly very far.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Community Moderator
# 25
09-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsitsalot View Post
Let me call your attention to a cool little thing called the Cryengine 3 Cinebox. Real-time rendered CG in extreme high-detail environment. All sets virtual. All props virtual. Horrifying stunts can be done while looking at the character's face and things can happen in real time that just cannot happen without trick photography or some expensive visual effect after the fact...

There are two good videos demonstrating this technology:

1 - The original announcement video
2 - The more recent practical application video

Consider how small the production team would need to be, how much money the studio can save on sets, props, costumes, and any number of big budgeting considerations. Plus, voice acting is a lot easier to work into a schedule. You can get big name actors and farm the recording out to a local audio recording studio to handle them if they are unable to travel due to existing commitments.

Oh... and you can blow the hell out of your sets as many times as you want to and just reset them if you need to redo a sequence from maybe a different angle...

I can only speak for myself, but I would buy a CG-based film about the tragedy that was Wolf 359...

Anyway...
Don't get me wrong... I would never expect a new Trek series to move entirely away from CGI any more than I want them to be all-CGI.

CGI is still getting better and better, but photorealistic faces still seems a bit beyond the state-of-the-art. I notice that video had no shots of what CGI is worst at... facial close-ups with changing expressions. Great for action shots, not so much for dialogue. What they saved in actors and sets, they'd spend on making the close-up animation look real. Or defeat the purpose with the necessity of digitizing a live actor.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 26
09-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
CGI is still getting better and better, but photorealistic faces still seems a bit beyond the state-of-the-art. I notice that video had no shots of what CGI is worst at... facial close-ups with changing expressions.
Try this video. Jump to 0:27. this does not cover changing facial expressions within Cryengine 3. However, for an idea where the technology is already at for realistic facial expressions and animation, check this out. This may be a software package that could be integrated into Cryengine 3 if it (or something like it) is not already there. But i would say that it is effective enough to get the job done and will only improve as time goes on.
I personally want a Star Trek game that is actually Star Trek. On a qualitative level that could be a lot of different things for a lot of different people. But on a quantitative level, if the developers were to watch star trek and make the game like what they see, then at least it will be a shot in the right direction, as far as I am concerned.
Captain
# 27
09-10-2012, 11:07 AM
I'd be more inclined to watch a new trek series carried by the Duras sisters than Worf. I never cared for his character or his characters accomplishments.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $27 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Captain
# 28
09-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Michael's still busy doing his Kickstarter movie. He doesn't have time for more Trek.
Captain
# 29
09-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
I'd be more inclined to watch a new trek series carried by the Duras sisters than Worf. I never cared for his character or his characters accomplishments.
Fair enough...

However, the Duras Sisters are dead. Worf is not
Captain
# 30
09-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsitsalot View Post
Fair enough...

However, the Duras Sisters are dead. Worf is not
It depends on where in time you look, as Star Trek has become 'Time Trek'.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $27 to upgrade my Kamarag ?