Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Lieutenant
UPDATE: Link

After finding out that 'Klingons' were named after an American cop (Wilbur Clingan) and, at the same time, compared to Nazis in ST6, you're on your own. If someone is stupid enough to compare themselves to a Nazi, that's their problem.

==========================

Have you ever heard of 'Colonel Klink'?

It's a Nazi character from an American show, who was always terrified of being sent to the Eastern Front in WW2.

Last edited by snowlili; 08-13-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
07-09-2012, 03:41 PM
i use klink all the time tho i see nothing wrong in doing so i dont find it as an insult. i only play kdf so i have have alot klingon doh.... klinks

never heard of this tv show nor do i think that this is the reason why most of us call our selfs klinks.

i guess the main reason why i use klink its its shorter than typing klingon tho not by much lol.

ps. that tv show looks crap.
Ensign
# 3
07-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Actually, if you've ever studied language patterns, you know that "shortening" words into a single syllable is quite common.

You will also realize that it is not unusual to associate a hard consonant sound at the end of a shortened word if it follows the native speakers' speech pattern.

For example, says KLINGS out loud ten times and you will see what I mean.

If you pay close attention, you will hear the "kay" sound slip in, ever so subtly.

As to your hypothesis about Colonel Klink... it is actually disproved by the simple fact that your cited reference is NOT the origin of the word KLINK.

~ I don't want the world... I just want your half!

Last edited by woody898; 07-09-2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
07-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Why do you think people use it "out of spite"? As you suggest a lot of people may no even know about the show, so its not meant in the same context then. I personally know about the show and always had a good laugh over it when I was younger "Hogaaaaan!" Having grandparents survive German occupation in Europe in WWII I have no problem making fun of them btw.
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Empire Veteran
# 5
07-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Hogans heroes is not the birthplace of the term klink in reference to klingons.
He who laughs last thinks slowest.
Career Officer
# 6
07-09-2012, 06:15 PM
I must be missing the point. Are you suggesting Klink is an offensive term because it's the same as the name of a fictional character from a TV show?
Ensign
# 7
07-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Ummm...

The word "klink" (actually "clink") is an old slang term for prison or jail, derived from the sound of a jail cell door closing and being locked. It's much older than Hogan's Heroes. That's exactly why Col. Klink was named what he was...

That was the joke...

Last edited by lokikin; 07-09-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Captain
# 8
07-09-2012, 06:21 PM
I'll take a crack at this.

Where does the slur klink originate from in reference to the derogatory term for Klingons?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
07-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Actually Hogans Heroes was a very hilarious show. Its all about making fun of the Nazis then anything else. I would suggest watching the show before ripping it. Also star trek and hogans heroes was running at about the same time, the mid to late 1960's, so I don't think one has anything to do with the other.
[=/\= ================= =/\=]
Asset Steven Kenter
Section 31 - Beta Squad
Current Mission: [Classified]
Current Location: [Classified]
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
07-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
I must be missing the point. Are you suggesting Klink is an offensive term because it's the same as the name of a fictional character from a TV show?
same here i dont get how its offensive or why the op is trying to sturr up poop